Sterling Forest Trail Conditions

Sky hooks.

1689378248887.jpeg

There’s been lots of good work taking shape in the past few weeks by both the PMTB crew with volunteers and the NYNJTC crew. Thanks to all that have chipped in.

The McKeags Meadow reroute was ‘dug thru’, the missing last 100 feet are done. And the shorter reroutes near to the bottom of the newly rebuilt Redback section are taking shape.

Thanks go to JORBA for the continued use of the Canycom dump wagon. You can move a lot of dirt and rock in it.

IMG_5313.jpeg
IMG_5341.jpeg
IMG_5323.jpeg

Anyone been out to Sterling this week? A lot of the trails still say caution on TF. How is it?

Anyone been out to Sterling this week? A lot of the trails still say caution on TF. How is it?
The ground is very saturated from the steady rainfall over the past month.

We were out doing trail work today. Coming off yesterdays rainfall of about an inch, there were some puddles and running water. More so at 8 am when we were on the way in and much less at 2:00 when we left.

Fortunately most of the running water was in the drains and culverts where it belongs. It’s nice to see the drainage and water management working. But there were still some soft spots in the trails that were getting rutted up.

Some more wetness got hardened up today.

IMG_5665.jpeg
IMG_5668.jpeg
IMG_5666.jpeg

Work has slowed down but we are still getting some done.

The trails are soft in some spots. Please give some time for the trail to dry after we get rain and watch for the freeze/thaw. The trail surface can be exceptionally mucky and easy to displace when it’s partially thawed.

Thanks.

IMG_6232.jpeg
IMG_6195.jpeg
IMG_6193.jpeg

Anybody ridden there since the rain? Friends Are looking to ride there and are asking about conditions.
I did the main loop from southgate clockwise yesterday and it was in great shape. I fully expected to have to turn around after seeing the condition of the short fireroad to the southgate lot and then the double track from the lot to the trail head. That area is severely washed out but the trails themselves were in great shape. The palisades 17 section had one tree down about halfway down the rocky switchback section, other than that it was not even wet with the exception of places that water typically crosses the trails.

Sterling is almost impervious to rain at this point. I think this is a testament to how well designed and maintained it is. Any problem areas have been addressed over the past coulple of years. This only applies to the main older loop, the new stuff does not handle water quite as well. This is largely because it is fairly recent so not quite as burned in and the flowish nature of the trails disturbed more ground so it will take time for that area to firm up. I would stay away from Augusta Mine/Mckeags, maybe even for the whole weekend. Even frozen that area stays soft IMO.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions