Steel vs Aluminum frames?

Rozack

Thinking of moving up to a Hardtail 29er. What is the advantages or disadvantages of steel vs aluminum bike frames? I mainly ride North Jersey Trails. Thanks.:hmmm:

Steel is fo-real, this is all you need to know....

But if you need some than that...

Steel frames are generally more compliant and flexy and have a more "springy" ride. This isn't to say that a cheap steel frame is going to feel this way. Also, steel is heavy unless you drop lots-o cash. Steel frames can rust if you don't take care of them, but that would take years.

Aluminum frame are generally stiffer, however some designs make for a smoother ride (cannondale flash). Aluminum doesn't rust, so you don't have to worry about that.

I would recommend steel for rocky terrain as long as you don't mind the extra weight.

If they are your only options then steel IMO... There is a metal out there used for building bikes that will give you the characteristics of both in one sweet package...

i've had both steel and alum frames. i think i prefer the snappiness of an alum frame generally, but the alum frames are definitely harsher. i had a niner MCR and it was definitely a "warm" ride, which was nice on those longer distance rides, while my other x/c oriented hardtail (specialized aluminum hardtail) i had at the time was harsher, but i felt faster on it. i don't think i was any quicker, i just felt faster on it tho.

now i'm on a aluminum hardtail that's heavy as a pile of rocks. its not snappy, but it feels like a freaggin' tank. so i like it.

generally there is a weight savings w/aluminum. Al. does tend to be a harsher ride but preferred by those who want to go fast. Steele tends to be heavier but as others have said it can smooth out the ride somewhat.
the question you need to ask yourself is do you want a lightweight bike to go fast or are you not concerned so much with weight but more concerned with comfort.

I have road bikes and mountain bikes, made from steel, dating back to the early 1980's. I ride them all regularly. I wouldn't trust any aluminum frames from the same era, or from more than five years ago for that matter.

Having said that, if I was shopping for a race-bike that I only needed to get a few years out of; I'd buy aluminium. If I was shopping for a race-worthy bike, that I could still ride in 10+ years, I'd buy titanium.

When I went shopping for my "One Bike to Rule Them All" in 2008 I bought steel.

Proper geo has alot to do and how Al is manipulated, my current ride Al SS rigid misfit seems to handle nicely. But with that said I am taking a hard look at the John Henery for gears maybe a 2x10...

Jamis Dragon 29
Reynolds 853 steel
ride it and race it

besides weight another downside with "lightweight" steel is that it is thinner and can dent easier. Take care of steel and you will be good in the long run.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom