SS conversion question

Word. I was thinking similar but some others felt differently. Thanks for the tip! Ill report back later.

Jim&Val remind me to bring the tensioner for ya.....and you didn't do the official first timers intro:whoopdedo what a fox paws :rofl:

Since everyone is building SS's, I'm starting to think about it. I can't decide if I should just buy one or build one. I've been researching frames and I don't even know where to begin. I think I want a Titanium frame. What does "Convertible drop-out that allows the choice of horizontal single speed or geared bike" mean? Thanks for any help.

:hmmm:

Since everyone is building SS's, I'm starting to think about it. I can't decide if I should just buy one or build one. I've been researching frames and I don't even know where to begin. I think I want a Titanium frame. What does "Convertible drop-out that allows the choice of horizontal single speed or geared bike" mean? Thanks for any help.

:hmmm:

a horizontal drop out allows you to run it as a single speed without the use of a chain tensioner, because u can slide the rear wheel back and forth within the drop out to achieve the proper tension.
looks like this:
180px-Rear_dropout.jpg

Duh! Now it makes sense. How do you eliminate the gap between where you would normally have multiple gears after you convert to a single gear, i.e. the gap between the hub and inside frame? I have to go back and look. I think this is the question Jim and Val asked

I believe you can use washers or something like that. Or some people have constructed spacers out of PVC I think.

I believe you can use washers or something like that. Or some people have constructed spacers out of PVC I think.

you can get specific spacers, I know surly makes em and lots of generic companies, or you can steal the spacers from an old cassette.

PVC works great if you have it laying around. i picked up the gussett SS kit that came with some pretty slick looking spacers.

Thanks for all the responses. This site is great. Another question. I would like to get a Titanium frame (although they are crazy money). The only ones I could find were made by either Litespeed or Titus. Does anyone know of any other manufactures that make a Titanium frame. If anyone knows of an alloy frame that will save some money but is still crazy light that let me know.

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses. This site is great. Another question. I would like to get a Titanium frame (although they are crazy money). The only ones I could find were made by either Litespeed or Titus. Does anyone know of any other manufactures that make a Titanium frame. If anyone knows of an alloy frame that will save some money but is still crazy light that let me know.

Thanks

Check out Seven and Moots. I think Indy Fab does some Ti as well.

So are you looking to build a SS frame, or are you going geared?

Two different projects, correct?

Thanks

dreamride:

http://www.dreambike.com/whiterim.htm

i think they do custom too

if you're thinking 29er - how about the one9 by niner - 3.4 pounds...

http://www.ninerbikes.com/one9.html

biknben rides one - i understand he digs it.

Last edited:
One project. A Titanium SS. Would also like the option to be able to convert the same bike to geared.

My vote would go towards a Ti frame with an Eccentric bottom bracket. I had horizontal drops on my Santa Cruz Chameleon, and for me it was just a pain in the butt everytime I took the rear wheel off. Getting the wheel in even, getting the disc rotor straight. Ebb's and vertical drops are much easier, in my opinion.

if you want to try out a tensioner I think I might no some place that you could get one for free, http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?p=73563#post73563
:D

Yes that is a great tensioner! Many guys I compete trials with love these cause they can take a beating. I had one for my trials bike, but I had to sell it because it did not work with my bike.

*Something to keep in mind* Well, it worked, but I was forced to use a half link because of two things - my gear ratio and also my chain stay length. (Very short on most trials bikes)

Half links = death when it comes to trials, so I sold it. A half link might be ok for an XC bike though. I'd give it a try. If you run into this same problem it is better to use a tensioner with a spring though.

BTW... I've heard some really good things about these -

http://www.webcyclery.com/product.php?productid=17033&cat=405&page=1

Finished!

I got the conversion done a couple weeks ago. I used a kit that came with a tensioner, a bunch of spacers and 16 & 18T cogs. Took it for it's maiden voyage at Allaire tues. night. Rides really good using the 18x34. I was really surprised how it got up the short steep climbs. The cool part about using the tensioner is that I can put the 16T on to commute to work without any mods, the tensioner just takes up the extra slack in the chain. Hopefully I can post up some pics(wiht Val's help-I'm still new to this posting stuff)

Back
Top Bottom