Squealing Breaks

Mr_T

My Giant XTC 29 1 has Juicy 3's, these things squeal like a (insert noun). The vibration that goes along with it is real bad too. Is there anything that can be done to get rid of this, will it go away as the rotor and pads are worn in a bit? I have about 100mi on the bike thus far.

Thanks,

Marc

I have the same brakes as you do on my F29-2. What you are hearing is actually a friction vibration between the pads/rotors/frame of your bike. I was discussing this exact thing at Halter's yesterday evening. Couple quick things.

1. Check the alignment of the calipers to the rotor (i.e. look down the caliper at the pads and make sure there is no touching at all when the levers are not depressed) This was the problem I had at first and every once in awhile I find I have to readjust the positioning.

2. If you have an aluminum frame this will remain an issue (have heard you can switch to a shimano rotor and fix this don't know for sure) I mainly have this issue when the rotor gets wet / muddy / or dusty causes friction.

Hope this helps

Thanks...I'll have to give J or Chris a call...I do have an aluminum frame, but will check the alignment for good measure.

What specifically does an aluminum frame have to do with this, just curious? I have to get the squeal and vibration somewhat reduced, it's rather annoying to say the least.

When does it squeal? Moving slow? off the breaks? on the breaks? does it go away when you slightly apply the brakes? all the time? contant squeal? humming or high pitch? Give as much info as you can.

When does it squeal? Moving slow? off the breaks? on the breaks? does it go away when you slightly apply the brakes? all the time? contant squeal? humming or high pitch? Give as much info as you can.

As I gradually increase pressure to the break to the point where the break starts to bite and I slow, the squeal starts. It's medium to low pitch and gets louder as I slow and is continuous until I stop or completely let go of the break. The sound is similar to a tractor trailer when they slow to a stop. The vibration increases as the squeal gets louder.

I spoke to Tim at SRAM, he said I need an organic pad set to reduce the noise. I gave Chris a call at Halter's, he said the same…so I have new pads coming. Man....I really hope this helps.

It may go away over time. Try sanding ur pads. I had a similar problem on my first bike. I got so pissed from hearing it during a ride I pulled to the side of the trail and took my pads out and took a rock and scratched them up then cleaned it with spit. Worked for the next 2 rides:rolleyes: Then I eventually got new pads

It may go away over time. Try sanding ur pads. I had a similar problem on my first bike. I got so pissed from hearing it during a ride I pulled to the side of the trail and took my pads out and took a rock and scratched them up then cleaned it with spit. Worked for the next 2 rides:rolleyes: Then I eventually got new pads

I plan to give the sanding a try....if I pick up a rock, for some reason I think I'll prob void my warrantee...;)

Thanks for the info. My Juicy 5's squeal non stop I find myself tapping the brakes periodically because they drive me crazy.

My juicy 7's got real quite after switching to Galfer pads.

I have 7's with stock pads on my Blur LT, they occasionally squeal if they get wet, but it goes away after one or two stops...that's it. Nothing like what I'm experiencing with the 3's.

My juicy 7's quieted down considerably after switching to organic pads. Organics wear down much faster but the turkey is gone.

You kiddin.....Juicy's are famous for their "Turkey Warble" .

I just got my bike and didn't do any searching on my brake squeak because I figured they just needed to break in. This is my first set of Juicy's... prior to a few weeks ago, I didn't know any other brands for bike parts other than shimano :D

Back
Top Bottom