Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

Kev

I went this morning when it was frozen. It was fun! There’s lots of areas of packed snow, some sketchy areas of really slick ice, and lots of areas without snow too. It probably is going to take a while for the trails to dry out and be rideable when not frozen, especially the lower trails. Plus there’s snow in lots of places that still needs to melt and will create lots of mud.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I went this morning when it was frozen. It was fun! There’s lots of areas of packed snow, some sketchy areas of really slick ice, and lots of areas without snow too. It probably is going to take a while for the trails to dry out and be rideable when not frozen, especially the lower trails. Plus there’s snow in lots of places that still needs to melt and will create lots of mud.

thanks - i had every intention of either riding or hiking today (i want to clear a couple of trees on montezuma)
might try this week.
It is going to be a mudfest for a long time this year!

Reactions: Kev

leo_c

Thanks, sounds rideable will give it a shot tmr when frozen

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Is the snow down there gone yet? Thinking about maybe doing a TM/cleanup hike this weekend. I know it will be mudfest but curious about snow coverage.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Is the snow down there gone yet? Thinking about maybe doing a TM/cleanup hike this weekend. I know it will be mudfest but curious about snow coverage.
Very little left - only in the shadows. I still have almost a foot in parts of my front lawn that never see sun. Melt already!

Patrick

Staff member
There is a tree floating across a boardwalk on Montazuma. If anything like rv. There are 1000 sticks sitting across the trail that the hikers step over

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
I wasn't able to get down there this weekend. Hearing good trail reports from around the state makes me think that everything but the lower trails were probably good today. Can anyone confirm?

JPark

Rode this morning.
Took the pipeline to the upper trails. Pipeline was completely dry except for 2 small sections.
3 Amigos had a few wet spots closer to the pipeline but was completely dry as I got farther away.
Montezuma was dry except for a couple spots near the pipeline.
Took Boulderama up to it's highest point and it was mostly dry but there were some soft spots. The ground was still in a perma-frost mode so it was tough to tell how muddy it really was.
Hopefully the forecast rain isn't too bad.

Patrick

Staff member
Got out there this morning - as suspected, lower maple flats is a mess.
Between the hikers helping out by putting sticks down, and plenty of moisture - it is best to head up the pipeline.

Make the first left after the first gate going uphill - i think this is white now - i'd recommend riding the pipeline from the parking lot,
through the access gate to the southeast of the pond. while there is water streaming down the pipeline
below the first gate, it can be avoided. ground is solid along the edges. Even that field from the pond to the trailhead is rutted - it was somewhat frozen when i hit it.

This trail from the pipeline to the 4-way mud in the usual spots - most of our remediation is working out well - just need to do more!
At the 4-way, turn right - don't go straight! It is going to be a bog in there. (you would never go straight anyway)

everything is good through the roaring brook rock garden - then trail is mis-marked, and takes everyone through a mud hole.

1616421343178.png

This is probably because of the tree that was blocking the trail. (mud trail is off to the right of this pic)

1616421367099.png

Was...well sorta still is but better. I'll get back and take care of this tomorrow.

1616421406117.png

I couldn't ride it first shot - but it it is easily ridden. the sapling is not in the way, but i hit it anyway.
mute vol - squeaky brakes.

Anyway - I didn't go up 3 amigos, since i know what i'll find up there. took a shortcut through the bouldering area,
and it sucks riding that way - but i knew that. It was ok conditions-wise.
On the old trail (riverbed), at the top of the connector from the rock pile, it is a mess - it looks like it could be nicked/moved uphill a bit.
Approaching the first boardwalk is also a mess - i went off-trail to avoid the water.
needs a reroute, it is one of the problem areas anyway. maybe extend the boardwalk?

The end of chunky monkey is going to be sloppy. 3 Amigos will be ok to ride.
I suspect montezuma will be ok too.

-----

Had a guy in the parking lot asked about the fatbike, then tells me he raced pro in the 90s out west and bikes haven't changed that much.
his al, 26r with a judy is still solid, but can't ride anymore because of his knees. hmm.

serviceguy

Got out there this morning - as suspected, lower maple flats is a mess.
Between the hikers helping out by putting sticks down, and plenty of moisture - it is best to head up the pipeline.

Make the first left after the first gate going uphill - i think this is white now - i'd recommend riding the pipeline from the parking lot,
through the access gate to the southeast of the pond. while there is water streaming down the pipeline
below the first gate, it can be avoided. ground is solid along the edges. Even that field from the pond to the trailhead is rutted - it was somewhat frozen when i hit it.

This trail from the pipeline to the 4-way mud in the usual spots - most of our remediation is working out well - just need to do more!
At the 4-way, turn right - don't go straight! It is going to be a bog in there. (you would never go straight anyway)

everything is good through the roaring brook rock garden - then trail is mis-marked, and takes everyone through a mud hole.

View attachment 154341

This is probably because of the tree that was blocking the trail. (mud trail is off to the right of this pic)

View attachment 154342

Was...well sorta still is but better. I'll get back and take care of this tomorrow.

View attachment 154343

I couldn't ride it first shot - but it it is easily ridden. the sapling is not in the way, but i hit it anyway.
mute vol - squeaky brakes.

Anyway - I didn't go up 3 amigos, since i know what i'll find up there. took a shortcut through the bouldering area,
and it sucks riding that way - but i knew that. It was ok conditions-wise.
On the old trail (riverbed), at the top of the connector from the rock pile, it is a mess - it looks like it could be nicked/moved uphill a bit.
Approaching the first boardwalk is also a mess - i went off-trail to avoid the water.
needs a reroute, it is one of the problem areas anyway. maybe extend the boardwalk?

The end of chunky monkey is going to be sloppy. 3 Amigos will be ok to ride.
I suspect montezuma will be ok too.

-----

Had a guy in the parking lot asked about the fatbike, then tells me he raced pro in the 90s out west and bikes haven't changed that much.
his al, 26r with a judy is still solid, but can't ride anymore because of his knees. hmm.

Wait, did you paint the maxxis logo white on the drive side of the front tire for the sake of the matchy-matchy picture?
nomatchy.JPG

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Thanks for the detailed info, Pat. Still no word from Parks Commission on trail work this year (@Kirt did you hear anything?). I will see if/when i can get down there to start prioritizing and executing projects. Will let this group know when i have a plan.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions