Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Went there today with my son.

If you are willing to hike the bad spots, there is dry stuff. The maple flats trails are bad. We walked those on the way out. The mud is frozen pretty good even in the afternoon so I think if you get there in the early morning hours you’ll be fine. There were times what looked like wet mud was actually still frozen. We walked it, thought we would slip, but didn’t even leave a foot print. Frozen solid.

the ridge trail to boulderama from the pipeline gets bad after the C trail junction. Hikers aren’t paying attention to the conditions obviously, I’ve never seen that trail in that condition. Wet and showing lots of hiking activity.

I made a current state map below. Purple lines are the spots you’ll be walking the most to hike and not ride the muck. Blue was basically our path and if not colored purple, totally fine. Couldn’t avoid maple flats, but that is essentially trampled - we didn’t ride it. There are many go-arounds being formed by hikers. Many. I will say there aren’t ruts. The rock armor is working. Yes it’s muddy, but you don’t dig in.

someone rode before us, there were fresh tire tracks through all of maple flats.

B3D1C7FE-F427-4188-A61B-F4B9445302C9.jpeg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
There were a few trees down - maple flats, couple on monkey, one on the old trail, one above montezuma towards devil's half acre.
Good chance I'll go for a hike a they won't be there by the end of the week.

Also lots of deadfall on the alternate lines.

It was frozen solid this morning. Should be good the next couple days.

Why do people ride next to the rock armoring, rather than on it?

Last edited:

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Thanks Pat! I haven't been there in months. I don't get the avoiding of rock armoring either. I think even the hikers get it (keep shoes clean). If i can ever get down there on a weekday i will clear off the alt lines as i usually do, but thanks for making tree obstructions disappear.

rick81721

Lothar
Thanks Pat! I haven't been there in months. I don't get the avoiding of rock armoring either. I think even the hikers get it (keep shoes clean). If i can ever get down there on a weekday i will clear off the alt lines as i usually do, but thanks for making tree obstructions disappear.

Some are slight shortcuts - like the one right after the first long boardwalk - the armored trail is on the right but I always see some hikers and cyclists go straight.

Patrick

Staff member
A trail angel went in yesterday and cleared the downed tree off maple flats.
We got the one on Montezuma.
There is one across the trail at roaring brook which makes the go-around that popped up years ago the only way to go - it is big.

couple others i'll get to.

couple of the boardwalks have had their stringers collapse. summer projects.

frozen goodness this morning. protected from the wind, and exposed to the sun!

Patrick

Staff member
i'll be looking for something to do around 4pm! I'll give it a try.

Patrick

Staff member
Dont do anything tomorrow other than get to the sourlands before the snow starts and have at it. All the gnar is filled in and it is rolling fast. Top section of Montezuma is a little bumpy, but the rest of the south section was paved whiteness

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions