Sourlands Mountain Preserve Conditions

rick81721

Lothar
it is the people on dh rigs coming down the pipeline....
i might even go a little fast when cutting off a ride.

it is best in the winter, when all the grass dies back.

ha I checked strava, I've gone down the pipeline 96 times. I'm trying to think how many times I saw other mountain bikers either going up or coming down faster than me. Drawing a blank!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
ha I checked strava, I've gone down the pipeline 96 times. I'm trying to think how many times I saw other mountain bikers either going up or coming down faster than me. Drawing a blank!

that is your spatio-temporal analysis?

and as far as memory goes....:D

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Significant sample size = robust data!

you should go back to each of those rides and check flybys to make sure what the count is, instead of relying on your slipping memory.

bc as we all know, if it isnt on strava it didnt happen! 🤣 🤣 🤣

rick81721

Lothar
you should go back to each of those rides and check flybys to make sure what the count is, instead of relying on your slipping memory.

bc as we all know, if it isnt on strava it didnt happen! 🤣 🤣 🤣

For fun I looked at a random sample of 10 - weighted more on rides pre-retirement. 80% of the rides I was the only one there (on strava)!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
The rocks were sweating, and the leaves are starting to fall. The trails have turned into jeep roads, and the shortcuts are popping up.

Other than that it was awesome!!!!

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Let me know if there is a need to clear leaves. My leaf blower is ready to rock. Been taking my son to 6MR so much it’s been a while since I have been here.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Have not been down there in a while but my thought is with all the extra foot traffic this year, leaves may get packed down enough to not hide the trail and may not need to be blown. Of course, let's hope the main trail gets packed and not the shortcuts. Chunky might be an exception to this because less traffic but we'll see.

rick81721

Lothar
Have not been down there in a while but my thought is with all the extra foot traffic this year, leaves may get packed down enough to not hide the trail and may not need to be blown. Of course, let's hope the main trail gets packed and not the shortcuts. Chunky might be an exception to this because less traffic but we'll see.

Will try to get there later this week to check it out. Last year the bouldering guys cleared some of the trails of leaves

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Wow, was it crowded today. People were even parked off the side of the road outside the entrance. Only rode lower trails, up New Shoes, on to marker 6, then up 3 Amigos to the Pipeline but that's all clear. Leaves are well packed by all the traffic on those trails and everything was bone dry. Only had to cut 1 small log inhibiting the wide arc on the newer switchbacks by Marker 6. Also, all the fun alt lines along 3 Amigos have been cleared and fortified :thumbsup:. I still recommend hitting it midweek if you can but not even sure what it looks like midweek these days. Also did some exploring all the way up the Pipeline for the first time and wow, it's a terrible swamp in some areas. Not sure what options we have for trail expansion but it would have to be way off in the woods avoiding that mess. Though, we did explore a couple quad trails off into the woods and they were kinda bad as well. If anyone gets up there soon, i'd like a report of the trails i didn't hit today (Chunky Monkey, Roaring Rocks, Montezuma, Boulderama, Middle C) to make sure nothing needs work.

JPark

Wow, was it crowded today. People were even parked off the side of the road outside the entrance. Only rode lower trails, up New Shoes, on to marker 6, then up 3 Amigos to the Pipeline but that's all clear. Leaves are well packed by all the traffic on those trails and everything was bone dry. Only had to cut 1 small log inhibiting the wide arc on the newer switchbacks by Marker 6. Also, all the fun alt lines along 3 Amigos have been cleared and fortified :thumbsup:. I still recommend hitting it midweek if you can but not even sure what it looks like midweek these days. Also did some exploring all the way up the Pipeline for the first time and wow, it's a terrible swamp in some areas. Not sure what options we have for trail expansion but it would have to be way off in the woods avoiding that mess. Though, we did explore a couple quad trails off into the woods and they were kinda bad as well. If anyone gets up there soon, i'd like a report of the trails i didn't hit today (Chunky Monkey, Roaring Rocks, Montezuma, Boulderama, Middle C) to make sure nothing needs work.
Trail expansion would be wonderful.
When I rode there last week I kept thinking how nice it would be if there was a big loop at the top!

Last week I was on Montezuma and most of Boulderama and they were fine. (accidentally took the hiker trail which was a huge mistake)

rick81721

Lothar
Also did some exploring all the way up the Pipeline for the first time and wow, it's a terrible swamp in some areas. Not sure what options we have for trail expansion but it would have to be way off in the woods avoiding that mess. Though, we did explore a couple quad trails off into the woods and they were kinda bad as well. If anyone gets up there soon, i'd like a report of the trails i didn't hit today (Chunky Monkey, Roaring Rocks, Montezuma, Boulderama, Middle C) to make sure nothing needs work.

My rule is: weekend + nice day, stay away.

I've fooled around on the north side of the pipeline clearing. Lots of quad trails and some dry areas for more singletrack.

Rockbottom

I was there Saturday morning and the amount of hikers there have reached a level of insanity. Parking lot at 730am, seeing only a few cars, I was somehow optimistic the big crowds may be dying down a bit. Boy was I wrong. The final descent on boulderama was a disaster. There’s an assembly line of hikers walking up that trail. How many times can I hear “wow, you can ride bikes on these trails?”

Traffic jam just trying to exit the lot too.

36C4C322-717A-40B6-95B5-20B82050041F.jpeg

Dingo

I was there Saturday morning and the amount of hikers there have reached a level of insanity. Parking lot at 730am, seeing only a few cars, I was somehow optimistic the big crowds may be dying down a bit. Boy was I wrong. The final descent on boulderama was a disaster. There’s an assembly line of hikers walking up that trail. How many times can I hear “wow, you can ride bikes on these trails?”

Traffic jam just trying to exit the lot too.

View attachment 143102
I keep asking myself "what did all these people do before covid" I have a small park across the street from my house. Lived here 22 yrs and maybe 4 or 5 cars a day in the parking lot. Now they are lined up and down the street. Even had to tell a few to, get your fucking car off my lawn. I have been walking there since my hip was destroyed last August, and the amount of trash and dog shit is disgusting. Go home!

phillychris498

Any insights into how conditions might be mid-day tomorrow? There was some rain up in Long Valley near me overnight, but I’m trying to weigh if it was light enough down in Sourlands to be dry by tomorrow. @gmb3 or any other Sour locals?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions