Solstice Check In

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Summer has hit us hard with this sudden heat, right on schedule for the Solstice. Whether you are riding early in the morning or in the heat of the day, these are peak or the longest days of summer. Time to ride!

I thought this might be appropriate to post up on how you are doing with your riding goals for 2012. Any exciting rides, races or vacations, whatever.

I'll start first -

General stats to date:
outdoor bike riding activities on 118 days
64 hours on road bike
161 hours on mountain bike
58 hours trail building and maintenance

My most satisfying accomplishment was helping to finnish reroute construction on the red trail in Ringwood. When I first envisioned this project, it seemed more like a fantasy. It is very rewarding to see bikers out enjoying themselves on the trail today, but few really know the depth of my emotion when I actually removed the "foot traffic only" sign from the trail, with permission from the park. That in itself was a 15 year goal, finally reached.

For the second half of the year, I hope to ride some more cool places and race cross.

So, what have you been doing ?.....

Last edited:

SpartaBard

Awesome Pixy!

For me this year:
90 rides, 1,455 miles, 97,500 feet elev.

485 miles, 75 hours Mtn bike
955miles, 66 hours road bike

Completed my first century ride with Fogerson and Shaggz a few weeks ago.

Goal: podium in cat 2 mtb.

Looking forward to Cross Season!

Dr Superb

As a casual rider, i don't set very many goals on the bike. My goals last year were to visit more trails that i have not been to...I am somewhat disappointed in myself as the only new one i went to was hartshorne, off the top of my head...i dont believe i've ventured north yet...

So, this year my goals are to visit some more trails, but also put some more time / mileage on my road bike.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Completed my first century ride with Fogerson and Shaggz a few weeks ago.

That is an awesome goal and accomplishment! 100 miles seems so big in ones head, but it really is just pedaling most of the day, and once you do it, you realize it is there within yourself.

PatrickBrown

Great accomplishments everyone! For me I just broke 1000 miles Since making my comeback after not riding since 1999-2000. Also in doing this I got back in contact and rode with some of my old riding buds from back then. Looking forward to ramping up riding and training for the next half and so on.

I also did the short track race back in march and got 15th out of 38 after riding only like 200 miles. Looking forward to some races in te fall.

Everyone keep up the good work!

Pat

Zaskar

I'm not a racer, just some one that really loves to mountain bike. I signed up for Bearscat back in January and convinced a few others to do the same. I see "races" like this as a chance to spend more time then usual in the saddle and to push myself to see what I can do.

I add running on the treadmill to my two or three weekly rides and by the end of February I dropped 15 lbs...I'm thinking this is great. Decided to take the running to the street and hated it so much that I gave it up all together...oh well still riding whenever possible an kept off the weight.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340331680.355885.jpg

Fast forward to May and end up on 40th birthday fly fishing trip to New Mexico with six old friends. Besides fishing this turns into a non stop week of partying but I figure what the hell! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340331505.708511.jpg

So now with a few weeks to go I've really done no serious training. Pre ride the course the week before with the 3 other guys I roped into this. They have all kept up with their training and ride solid while I'm the navigator trying to keep us in track and ride like crap.

I eat well, hydrate all week and have all my gear, food ready to go so I've got that going for me. I set a goal to make the first lap cut off which I do at 3:47. While this not breaking any records I made it and I'm feeling really good. I push off on lap 2 with the goal to make the furnace cut off and not get struck by lighting. I accomplish both and hit the furnace with 20 minutes to spare so even if I have to walk the rest I'm going to finish so I'm pumped. I work my way through the rest on the course and cross the finish with a total time of...drum roll please...7:54! Again no records but I feel very satisfied finishing and come to find out 2 of 3 that signed up with only did 25...wusses.
View attachment 11461

Next up is the SixPack with the goal of 5 laps...last year did 4.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340331570.653452.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340331570.653452.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wow Eric that is solid i had such a bad attitude at BS50 and cut off my 1st lap so kudos to you. I have lost time to mtb so I now take chances through Harlem. I know it sounds redundant with only one trip to MCBP but damn DHing is really the most fun one can have on a bike. I got sucked in before and strayed but I am back baby. Look out because Patty will be not far behind, I know once I get her back up there all bets are off...

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
goals: ride more, ride smoother, ride faster
want to figure out a way to encourage my son to start riding again. Maybe cash?
want to find a way to get the Mr. AM to do a race.
Loose more inches off my waist.
get more people out there on bikes from my church

Accomplished: 8 inches off the waist.
rode a couple of the scary (to me) silly bridges at 6M
conquered a few other trail obstacles that I usually avoid.
did manage to get a few people from church riding.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Thanks so much for sharing!

Zaskar, totally great race at BS. Under 8 hours in the rain is fantastic in my mind. Many did not finnish. .... and way to go AM! 8 inches off, is very inspiring.

TedH

v
58 hours trail building and maintenance

My most satisfying accomplishment was helping to finnish reroute construction on the red trail in Ringwood. When I first envisioned this project, it seemed more like a fantasy. It is very rewarding to see bikers out enjoying themselves on the trail today, but few really know the depth of my emotion when I actually removed the "foot traffic only" sign from the trail, with permission from the park. That in itself was a 15 year goal, finally reached.

if they don't rename part of Ringwood after you and Art, it will be nothing short of tragic.

RNG1

I agree whole heartedly. Even though we all know that both Ellen and Art never seek praise, and is the furthest intent when she started this thread, it is certainly overdue.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
if they don't rename part of Ringwood after you and Art, it will be nothing short of tragic.

if i tell my wife i'm going to ride ellen it may not go over too well...and riding art is definitly out of the question. am i allowed to say that?

I thought my goals this year would be to do well in endurance mtb racing but since I havn't really trained for this I have shifted focus. My main focus this year is to do the best I can at the H2H races and have fun. For Cathedral Pines I plan to do some serious training to try to comlete 8 laps.

I haven't been on the red trail at Cannonball since April. Work had begun on the hike a bike re-route and was really awesome. I am looking forward to getting back there at some point this summer to check out the completed re-reroute on red...Cannonball is my favorite trail.

Thanks White's.

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Chuggin' along. Behind schedule about 500 miles at 4,497.5...There's a break in the TT schedule so I'm gonna try to get a dent in that and get back up to where I need to be. A couple world-famous JimV back-to-back centuries should do the trick!!

300 hours, 163 rides. Almost 100% of it commuting to work :D

That is all for now, planning a big trip to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline at the end of July.

-Jim.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
if i tell my wife i'm going to ride ellen it may not go over too well...and riding art is definitly out of the question. am i allowed to say that?

My wife has a friend named Mahlon. She always laughs when I say that I'm going to ride her.

Maurice

Ellen,

thanks to you and Art for your time and efforts, much appreciated.

No idea how much I rode / how many days this year. All I know is that it's not enough.

case

Thanks Pixy!

2012: mtb - 20 rides
213 miles
15k elev
road - 22 rides
544 miles
30k elev
indoor interval - 7 nights
training 143 miles

Goals: 1a) become fitter for endurance races with the hope that with some focus, inceased speed would be a byproduct. 1st 2 races I had to miss, iron hill and french creek because of life events (daughter graduated college and 1 finishing up 1st semester in vt.) so schedule has changed and all is good!:)
1b) ride more places and with more people. I mostly ride solo due to fitting in time when I can but this year I've met and reconnected with people on the road and the trails and it's been my most fun year on 2 wheels.
1c) more tm. I'm getting my 1st 3-4 hrs this week @ baldpate.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG

ha, ha, quite entertaining. The strange part is that now we have finished this section of the red, we will be setting our eyes towards re-routes on the white trail. So in some ways, some may think that the white trail is named after us, although it really just the blaze color :eek:.

All: I appreciate the recognition, but am not looking to make too much of a big deal about some of this, as we still need to keep a positive and respectful relationship with our fellow hiker user group, as we all should on multi-use trails. Some of the hikers have been very open minded to the idea of shared trails, yet, unfortunately there still are some that are negative to this idea.

back on topic ....

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Many did not finnish. ....

Indeed, some of us are Polish. ;)

Thanks for the efforts at Ringwood. They're appreciated.

For the spring, I wanted to try to figure out how to balance work, home, riding, racing, promotion, and healthy eating, and have as much fun as I can. Objectively I think it hasn't really been a success. I've had a bit of fun, probably drank too much beer. The short track series was probably the crowning jewel of the work we did this spring. As far as race performance or target races, I really didn't have anything in the first part of the year. Like Maurice, my totals are "not enough".

My main focus is, and has been, the cross season. I'll continue to race when it works out, but September/October/November will be when I would like to be at my best. I'm going to be racing mostly MAC races, 35+ class. This is a brutal class, and I fully expect to get my ass handed to me. So putting numerical or positional goals on it would probably be meaningless. After the first race maybe I'll set something. I imagine top 20 will be an accomplishment in any single race. For the series, I'm not sure I'll do enough to qualify.

Robin

I am grateful for all the hours that people put into our trails. I hope to get more hours in this summer/fall.

I don't have a breakdown of what I spent what hours doing but a total of 182 hours of riding time so far. Most of my riding was on the road these past 6 months. I am lucky to live in an area with great roads!

I rode in some of the coldest temps (yes, I know it was a mild winter but I'm usually on skis or snowboarding when it's cold) and spent limited time on the trainer. That was an accomplishment for me.

Had a great time in our Short Track series - and actually won the women's series.

I commuted to work via bike a few times...I tried my first road race, which didn't go to well, but I tried. I had some mechanical issues throughout the mountain bike season, but always had my teammates to keep me going. I'm now moving into a new phase - bike camp starts for me Monday and I am done racing until CX.

Future goals - lose the 10 pounds I gained since the fall and have a fun and successful CX season (I would like to upgrade to Cat 3).

Oh - and I'm marrying my bestest biking buddy (DeathMetaLance).

Top Bottom