So....

A

Ant

Guest
After seeing all the fun you momo's are having together I've been thinking about getting another Mtn Bike. But this time with discs and clipless pedals to make it worthwhile. I was also thinking about getting an all carbon road bike in the spring too though....but riding alone doesn't seem as much fun as riding with some friends. Thoughts?
 

dursman

Member
We love you Anthony!! Keep whatever road bike you have now - it works doesn't it? and spend some money on a mountain bike. That way you'll have a nice road bike and a nice mountain bike instead of the best road bike in the world and no $$ left over for a mountain bike (although I do have a thing for carbon fiber). Trail riding with friends is definitely more fun that road riding alone - and with two bikes you can do which you want.
 
A

Ant

Guest
I'm thinking maybe I can swing a good deal if I buy a new road AND mtn bike at the same time from the same place...hmmmm.
 
A

Ant

Guest
I just checked the nj bike map for the area I'm moving to next week (Parsippany) and it doesn't look like it's too road bike friendly. However, Tourne is very close so a mtn bike might be the way to go here....at least for the week days. I can alway drive somewhere and do the road bike thing somewhere else.
 

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Ant said:
I just checked the nj bike map for the area I'm moving to next week (Parsippany) and it doesn't look like it's too road bike friendly. However, Tourne is very close so a mtn bike might be the way to go here....at least for the week days. I can alway drive somewhere and do the road bike thing somewhere else.
Where in Parsippany did you move?
 
S

smerusi

Guest
parsippany? cool.
There is great riding in boonton, mt lakes, kinnelon,denville...
all are close to Parsippany.

I have ridden from my house to my office in Parsippany and found good riding in these towns.
 
A

Ant

Guest
smerusi said:
parsippany? cool.
There is great riding in boonton, mt lakes, kinnelon,denville...
all are close to Parsippany.

I have ridden from my house to my office in Parsippany and found good riding in these towns.
Oh nice. Once I actually move I will have to go exploring.

Jay, I'm moving next week to a place on Baldwin Ave. which is adjacent to Smith Field.
 
C

CD1134

Guest
The Specialized you're looking at is nice, but you might consider going with a dual-suspension. Hardtails are fine in Central and South Jersey but up north hardtails take a beating - I know from experience. Now, I love my hardtail like nothing else but even I'm looking into a dualie for next season.
 
S

scubasteve

Guest
i don't know how i missed this one...

Ant, I would just keep the road bike you've got. There's no need to upgrade to a carbon frame. Yes, it will be stiffer and will put power to the groud, but unless you running competitve criterions, etc, you're just going to be throwing your money away. The difference will be marginal, at best. In fact, it will make your ride more uncomfortable because of the stiffness of the frame.

And one thing you have to look out for on higher end road bikes is weight restricitions (I know this because I'm over most/pretty much all of them). Being over 180 lbs will often void warranty on higher end parts.

DEFINITELY get a new MTB though. I finally got out there last weekend with Jay and Carl and it was hella fun. It's completely different from road riding and hella tough, but a complete blast and much more intense from a holy-shit-imma-crash perspective.

Good luck with the move!
 

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Ant said:
Jay, I'm moving next week to a place on Baldwin Ave. which is adjacent to Smith Field.
I think I know exactly where you are moving. Cool, kinda in my backyard. We goto that Applebees on 46 about a mile from you all the time.

-jay
 
A

Ant

Guest
scubasteve said:
i don't know how i missed this one...

Ant, I would just keep the road bike you've got. There's no need to upgrade to a carbon frame. Yes, it will be stiffer and will put power to the groud, but unless you running competitve criterions, etc, you're just going to be throwing your money away. The difference will be marginal, at best. In fact, it will make your ride more uncomfortable because of the stiffness of the frame.

And one thing you have to look out for on higher end road bikes is weight restricitions (I know this because I'm over most/pretty much all of them). Being over 180 lbs will often void warranty on higher end parts.

DEFINITELY get a new MTB though. I finally got out there last weekend with Jay and Carl and it was hella fun. It's completely different from road riding and hella tough, but a complete blast and much more intense from a holy-shit-imma-crash perspective.

Good luck with the move!
Actually, everything I've ever read carbon frames are supposed to ride nicer. I also contacted Trek about weight issues and they said that there are none. I'm also down to about 196 lbs so 180 might be doable. But who knows, I still have no idea what I want to do. :lol:
 
A

Ant

Guest
Jason said:
Ant said:
Jay, I'm moving next week to a place on Baldwin Ave. which is adjacent to Smith Field.
I think I know exactly where you are moving. Cool, kinda in my backyard. We goto that Applebees on 46 about a mile from you all the time.

-jay
yup, that's not far at all.
 

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Ant said:
Jason said:
Ant said:
Jay, I'm moving next week to a place on Baldwin Ave. which is adjacent to Smith Field.
I think I know exactly where you are moving. Cool, kinda in my backyard. We goto that Applebees on 46 about a mile from you all the time.

-jay
yup, that's not far at all.
Let me know when you move in.
 
A

Ant

Guest
Jason said:
Ant said:
Jason said:
Ant said:
Jay, I'm moving next week to a place on Baldwin Ave. which is adjacent to Smith Field.
I think I know exactly where you are moving. Cool, kinda in my backyard. We goto that Applebees on 46 about a mile from you all the time.

-jay
yup, that's not far at all.
Let me know when you move in.
Move starts on Fri. I should be calling it home by sunday or so. You can come over and talk computer nerd stuff with my roommate. :lol: Then we can go to cycle craft and scope out some mtn bikes. I think I like Trek's to be honest. I've put like 700 or so miles on trek bikes this summer and I have been happy with them.
 

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Ant said:
Jason said:
Ant said:
Jason said:
Ant said:
Jay, I'm moving next week to a place on Baldwin Ave. which is adjacent to Smith Field.
I think I know exactly where you are moving. Cool, kinda in my backyard. We goto that Applebees on 46 about a mile from you all the time.

-jay
yup, that's not far at all.
Let me know when you move in.
Move starts on Fri. I should be calling it home by sunday or so. You can come over and talk computer nerd stuff with my roommate. :lol: Then we can go to cycle craft and scope out some mtn bikes. I think I like Trek's to be honest. I've put like 700 or so miles on trek bikes this summer and I have been happy with them.
I talked to the guys at Marty's and they said they'll hook you up if buying two bikes. They have Treks as well. :) I'll be back Sunday afternoon so I'll give you a call.

-jay
 
A

Ant

Guest
Jason said:
Ant said:
Jason said:
Ant said:
Jason said:
Ant said:
Jay, I'm moving next week to a place on Baldwin Ave. which is adjacent to Smith Field.
I think I know exactly where you are moving. Cool, kinda in my backyard. We goto that Applebees on 46 about a mile from you all the time.

-jay
yup, that's not far at all.
Let me know when you move in.
Move starts on Fri. I should be calling it home by sunday or so. You can come over and talk computer nerd stuff with my roommate. :lol: Then we can go to cycle craft and scope out some mtn bikes. I think I like Trek's to be honest. I've put like 700 or so miles on trek bikes this summer and I have been happy with them.
I talked to the guys at Marty's and they said they'll hook you up if buying two bikes. They have Treks as well. :) I'll be back Sunday afternoon so I'll give you a call.

-jay
Well, I dont' think I'm going to be buying 2 bikes just yet. But I will def. give Marty's a look.
 
S

scubasteve

Guest
Ant said:
Actually, everything I've ever read carbon frames are supposed to ride nicer. I also contacted Trek about weight issues and they said that there are none. I'm also down to about 196 lbs so 180 might be doable. But who knows, I still have no idea what I want to do. :lol:
Oh snap, nice research! Good luck then. Which bike are you looking at?
 
Top