So how do you (finally) buy a new bike?

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Let me explain before you goofs instruct me to visit my LBS. For the last many bikes, I’ve bought used. I pick a general category of bike I’m interested in then grab the next decent deal that pops up. Usually I don’t lose too much on the transaction, certainly not new bike depreciation. So.

Pretty sure I’ve narrowed my choices down to a longer travel but not full enduro bike, 27.5 or 29 possible, legit warranty in place for once. But bikes are a really personal thing and “feel” is critical. With demos being nonexistent (and inconsistent at best even pre-Zombie apocalypse) how the heck do you pick something without losing your mind? You should see me picking out shoes...

I mean, you can go test drive a $40,000 Acura any day but a $4000 bicycle is vaporware. I’ve eyeballed some of the direct to consumer deals but that’s even scarier. Online reviews and such are great but nothing really su is these days so it‘s kinda splitting hairs. Money is always a thing so I can’t just throw cash at the problem.
Anyway. Rant off.

299.gif

I honestly don't know... all of the bikes in my signature were essentially purchased sight unseen. I also tend to buy frames and build up bikes or will make significant changes to complete bikes.

I did get to test ride a Megatower at 6MR prior to ordering, but mainly to decide on frame size. I built mine up from a frame, so the parts were all bought a la cart.

The Spot - totally sight unseen and without much of any reviews. I looked at the geo chart, compared it to the Primer I was riding at the time and took a leap of faith. Fortunately, I love the bike so I've been happy with it. The Spot also holds the rare distinction of being a bike that is essentially as-purchased, with only the seat and grips changed from OEM spec. It's also full XTR with I-9/Enve wheels, so there's not much to upgrade.

I still haven't finished building the Chameleon (purchased as a frame).

The Colnago was also bought sight unseen as a frame (in 1999) and built up with a mix of new and used parts.

The GT grade was somewhat of a gamble - bought to try SRAM road components, and then rebuilt again with Campy.

Oddly enough, the only bike in my current fleet that I actually did ride in anger at the now gone Bensalem BMX track before I bought it was my BMX bike. Then again, shortly after buying it I swapped out the cranks and wheels.

Let me explain before you goofs instruct me to visit my LBS. For the last many bikes, I’ve bought used. I pick a general category of bike I’m interested in then grab the next decent deal that pops up. Usually I don’t lose too much on the transaction, certainly not new bike depreciation. So.

Pretty sure I’ve narrowed my choices down to a longer travel but not full enduro bike, 27.5 or 29 possible, legit warranty in place for once. But bikes are a really personal thing and “feel” is critical. With demos being nonexistent (and inconsistent at best even pre-Zombie apocalypse) how the heck do you pick something without losing your mind? You should see me picking out shoes...

I mean, you can go test drive a $40,000 Acura any day but a $4000 bicycle is vaporware. I’ve eyeballed some of the direct to consumer deals but that’s even scarier. Online reviews and such are great but nothing really su is these days so it‘s kinda splitting hairs. Money is always a thing so I can’t just throw cash at the problem.
Anyway. Rant off.
Are you sure about no demos? I checked tenefly bike works where i bought my ibis mojo. They seem to have a bunch of demos listed. Could be old info. Demos are best. Covid messes things up but i went somewhere for a bike trip and rented bikes instead of bringing my bike. It was convenient and i used it as auditions for a new bike and rented a different one each day for 3 days.

Anyway. Rant off.
Tenafly bicycle workshop has a good fleet of demo bikes. Actually I think every mountain bike on the floor is a demo. You should check out what they have

What are you riding now?
2016 Kona Process 111. Progressive for its day but newer stuff is slacker. Prior bike was a 27.5 Heckler, 150mm bike. The Kona is the better all around bike, but I’d like something that could handle a park day or enduro also.

Anyway. Rant off.
I demoed a few bikes over the last few years and none of them made we want to pull the trigger. None of them left me with the feeling that they were significantly better than my 2011 Specialized Epic comp, so I figured I'd just stick. For me, "Wow factor" over my current ride was my guiding principle for deciding for whether or not to purchase.

I did not consider another Specialized with their bull-shit proprietary sizing and in-house components. I thought the new Trek Fuel EX 9.8 or 9.9 looked promising, but again I did not want a bike with all in-house brand components.

I solicited recommendations from friends that knew me and my riding style, eliminated bikes with proprietary bullshit, wandered around to local bike shops that I had come to trust, test rode my current Intense Tracer, and bought it.

5’10. Which adds another layer as I’m between medium and large on most charts. But it’s a fair idea.
Same. 34" inseam. Manufacturers seem to be getting better about sizing. I used to waffle between M and L frames as well, but a lot of the newer bikes put me solidly in the middle of the L size.

I'm not sure where you are located, but if you want to try my Spot I'm sure we can figure something out. It's not a long travel bike, but one of my teammates also have a Ryve 115 and recently bought a Mayhem 130 which uses a similar suspension design.

I'm 6' with proportionate arm, torso, and leg length. I'm a L in any bike. That's a good starting point for me.

Anyway. Rant off.
No one really makes a bad bike these days, however for the money these things cost, I would totally split hairs. Most shops still demo, so try before you buy. I demoed a ton of bikes this year before I settled on what I wanted. Also, I would stay away from consumer direct. When you're bike doesn't come on the promised delivery date, you will be playing phone tag with someone in another country you probably won't be able to reach. Nothing is being delivered on time, my bike was supposed to come in October, but likely won't come until December. At least I have a guy in the local shop pinging the manufacturer and giving me updates. At a 34" inseam, buy a large. I have the same inseam and I tried a medium in the model I'm getting for shits and giggles, and while it felt good while standing, the seated position had me way too close to the bars because of the steep seat-tube angle. Its just easier to make a big bike feel a little shorter with a stem, bar, move the seat, etc. vs. the other way around.

I always like to demo stuff dave....i realize thats not so easy right now....You do have alot of friends with nice bikes, ask around...ill lend you my bronson if you want try it, etc....

Back
Top Bottom