SJ headset problem

ADZ

I am having problem with a creaking sound coming from the headset of my 2010 SJ expert carbon. if i clean then re-grease the bike sounds great for about two to three rides. if i wash bike after a muddy ride, headset starts to make the same noise within the next ride.

Is this a common problem with a FIT headset?

I am using phil wood bearing grease, should i use carbon specific grease?

any insight?

Thanks
A

I would have to agree with "gtluke". Also, having worked as a bike mechanic for several years, YES use carbon specific grease and make sure you're coating all the surfaces - both the frame and bearings and races.

I know it might sound weird, but make sure that its not your cabling, especially at the end of the first split - where the cabling hits the first stop on the top/down tube. On road bikes this is a very common area of noise - just the housing getting old and harder. Check and see. I have seen the same problem on mtb w/ lots of miles.

I want to say its not the housing that is making the noise. i did check that area out on the trails, i would hold the cables while riding and it would still make the bloody noise. As far as hose pressure, I do make a point not to blast bearing areas with the hose. I just let water run over headset and BB, then wipe with damp cloth.

I'm thinking it could be the frame at fault, but bike shop are claiming its not, and they have had the bike three times with this problem. I did send TWO emails to specialized and they have not responded. very disappointed.

So it has left me scratching my head looking at a 3 grand bike!!!!!

A

I want to say its not the housing that is making the noise. i did check that area out on the trails, i would hold the cables while riding and it would still make the bloody noise. As far as hose pressure, I do make a point not the blast bearing areas with the hose. I just let water run over headset and BB, then wipe with damp cloth.

I'm thinking it could be the frame at fault, but bike shop are claiming its not, and they have had the bike three times with this problem. I did send TWO emails to specialized and they have not responded. very disappointed.

So it has left me scratching my head looking at a 3 grand bike!!!!!

A

have you since tried the carbo specific grease? another thought could be to try a silicone based lube (like liquid wrench). its a cheap possible solution.

have you since tried the carbo specific grease? another thought could be to try a silicone based lube (like liquid wrench). its a cheap possible solution.

I am going to get some carbon specific grease and try it. can you recommend any brand?

I did hear back from Specialized yesterday and they basically told me that bikes tend to make noises after they get muddy.. pretty useless information.

A

If the bike is still under warrenty, take it back to the store and ask them to fix it. My 08 Enduro SL Pro does the same and it appears to come from the top. i have greased the seat post and also made sure all clamps are torqued down and lubed properly. I told the LBS I got it from about the problem when I got my scheduled maintenance done, but he forgot. The creek happens when I either pedal hard on uphill (while seated/off saddle) or on flats while being off saddle.

Back
Top Bottom