Shimano peasants rejoice, may the time have come? Update, SRAM just lowered the bar!

I thought about Di2 once. But then I found out it has cables? Lol.

I wonder how they will try to improve on AXS or eTap. The SRAM stuff is super nice. And the margin on an $800 dropper has to be sick.

Short version for those avid readers than can’t read into more than a Twitter long message...looks like Shimano “may” celebrate its 100th anniversary with the release of its wifi version of the XTR...or not! They filed for a wifi patent.

Last edited:
Short version for those avid readers than can’t read into more than a Twitter long message...looks like Shimano “may” celebrate it’s 100th anniversary with the release of it’s wifi version of the XTR...or not! They filed for a wifi patent.

You only turn 100 once and they piss it away on this? It's bust if they don't release cvt for bikes

Riding a full suspension 29er in 2008, i learned then early adaption in the bike world aint for me. #laggard

I do like how clean the bars of an AXS equipped bike are, but I am so far down the Shimano 12 spd rabbit hole I'd rather not switch. For travel/spares reasons, I want all three of my mtn bikes to run mostly the same components.

Okay, real talk time:

9/10, I will choose something cable operated vs electric.

Of that, 9/10, I will choose wired vs. wireless.

I got the wireless shit out of my system in college when I was running through a couple of packs of AA and AAA a month.

You can make convincing arguments for both systems, but it boils down to [for me] reliability. Wired systems are more reliable, full stop. On top of that, I've encountered one Di2 failure that wasn't caused by extreme neglect/broken wire (also an outlier). Said part was hooked directly up to the diagnostic hardware/software, reset, and worked fine.

I have the XT 12 speed setup ready to go, as soon I find the time to install it on the fugitive. If it works as well as I'm told I see no reason for a wifi or electric setup. Not worth the money for a sparse rider like myself.

For me, that's the essence of bikes - less dependence on unnecessary technology/complexity. But reading Jim's comments on the benefit of AXS is intriguing. I've also tried to live Shimano-Free since 1988 (much to the heckling from @stb222), but that mantra has served me pretty well...

I had the old XTR di2. While DA di2 is flawless, off-road di2 was a mess. Lever feel was great but issues with dropped chains and wires disconnecting during crashes was beyond frustrating when racing. Eagle Axs has been solid.

Okay, real talk time:

Of that, 9/10, I will choose wired vs. wireless.

I got the wireless shit out of my system in college when I was running through a couple of packs of AA and AAA a month.

You can make convincing arguments for both systems, but it boils down to [for me] reliability. Wired systems are more reliable, full stop. On top of that, I've encountered one Di2 failure that wasn't caused by extreme neglect/broken wire (also an outlier). Said part was hooked directly up to the diagnostic hardware/software, reset, and worked fine.

For me AXS, both drivetrain and seatpost, have been more reliable and less maintenance than any wired thing I've ever used. Except for the 3 times I forgot to charge the batteries. That said, I still refuse to use a wireless mouse.

Back
Top Bottom