Shimano gear box

It's... interesting... I can visualize a few ways such a shifting system could work, although other than it being somewhat contained from the elements I'm not seeing many advantages over a standard set-up. One of the big advantages of the Pinion system is it can be shifted while not pedaling. I don't see how the Shimano system could do that.

It's... interesting... I can visualize a few ways such a shifting system could work, although other than it being somewhat contained from the elements I'm not seeing many advantages over a standard set-up. One of the big advantages of the Pinion system is it can be shifted while not pedaling. I don't see how the Shimano system could do that.

A couple advantages are the reduction in unsprung weight on the rear hub (no cassette & free hub) plus the effects on ani-squat and pedal kick back. The advantages may not be huge, but you definitely feel them compared to a standard setup.

The Pinion system is 5 lbs, let's say 4 lbs since you're losing some stuff like the RD and cassette. Those systems are also an efficiency killer. Nothing is more efficient than a chain. Any motorcycle designed to go fast has a chain.

Now it would be nice, especially in leaf season, not to have something get caught in the RD every 15 minutes.

A couple advantages are the reduction in unsprung weight on the rear hub (no cassette & free hub) plus the effects on ani-squat and pedal kick back. The advantages may not be huge, but you definitely feel them compared to a standard setup.

Perhaps... but I am not convinced the benefits outweigh the added weight and complexity. Maybe if they can figure out a way to make a hi-pivot design like the Commencel work without needing a idler-pulley.

The big problem with current gear box designs is the inherent drag of rotating constant mesh gears. In a chain system, only the gears actually in use are engaged. A motorcycle engine produces enough watts to overcome that drag. When we humans have trouble getting watt outputs in the triple digits, any additional drag represents a greater percentage of our effort.

Perhaps... but I am not convinced the benefits outweigh the added weight and complexity.

Nor am I, but you for sure can feel the bike ride differently. It does have a certain cool factor that’s not found on most bikes as well. See what Shimano brings to the market...

Back
Top Bottom