Sharp Metal Objects

MrWebby

There are two metal objects sticking about 1 1/2 inches out the ground in the middle on the trail in a section of the twisties roughly between the pipeline and the powerlines. They are “T” shaped heavy gauge metal looking like the remnants of a fence post. The exposed end has taken the shape of a sharp upwards pointing arrow. One of these slashed a rider’s front tire and despite our efforts to dig it out using stones it is buried deeeeep into the ground.

Now, I could go back with a pickaxe and dig it out myself but I’m wondering if someone should be told about such repairs in the trail. I live and work far from the area and couldn’t possibly make it there for several days. Maybe someone with more TM under his/her belt could chime in and comment on whether the park office should be notified, or if this is something to be addressed in the next TM day.

The two objects were marked with sticks in the shape of a triangle and an “X” so that hopefully others can avoid them. There will be others walking the trail soon if something isn’t done. Attached is a map of the section with markings.

Attachments

• 6MR_sharp_objects.jpg
    6MR_sharp_objects.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 272
Thanks I was planning on riding there after work. Did the metal move at all when you tried to dig it out? If they are fence posts, they may have concrete on the other end. I might have something in my car I could use to dig

I've come across many of these working in this park. I usually just smash them deeper into the ground. None of the once I saw had concrete. If you can find a big rock give it a shot.

I've come across many of these working in this park. I usually just smash them deeper into the ground. None of the once I saw had concrete. If you can find a big rock give it a shot.

That was another thought. Smash it deeper and put a flat rock over it, then cover with dirt. If I can find any rocks at 6mile :)

At least one of these was spotted and mentioned last year (in the "Conditions" thread, IIRC). I don't recall if there was an attempt to remove it, but it was painted caution-orange for awhile. I'd kinda forgotten about it. :eek:

Smashing it with a rock or spray painting it would be a temporary fix, perhaps until the next TM day. You'd have to drag said rock from the Rt. 27 parking lot because there's nothing but dirt and trees at 6MR.

Went by both ways and never saw it. On the other hand, there's a new very low bridge on the beginning of orange (heading towards 27). I could barely get under but my camelback almost got torn off.

I took a good 7 quarter sized pieces of clear glass off the trail in the twisties yesterday... just gotta keep our eyes open.

EDIT I also did not notice the metal or any other foreign objects out there.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions