Sette Element Shoes w/ Time Atac Alium Pedals

Manufacturer: Sette Shoes and Time Pedals
Product: Sette Element Shoes w/ Time Atac Alium Pedals
How Long Used: 1 day
Similar Products Used: Platform pedals and sneakers
Overall Rating [1-10]: 7

Positive: It only cost $100 to go clipless with this shoe and pedal combo. The pedals are wide enough to get a good start before clipping in.

Negative: The shoes are dorky looking and narrow for my wide feet. Learning curve. The pedals and brass cleats look years old after 1 day of clipping and unclipping. I don't think these are coompatible with SPD, so not a good choice if you share bikes.

Comments: I purchased this combo from pricepoint.com. Shipped in less than a week. Easy to install. There is a learning curve to using them. It takes some getting used to pedalling with the ball of my foot after pedalling with my heel on platforms. I raised my seat about 3/8" to adjust for the new leg angle. It's too early to say if there is a performance increase.

Day 2 - Still learning to use these. Getting easier, though.
The sand (and a little mud) at Allaire had no effect on the pedals.
Now the pedals look like they are two years old. I think clear anodizing would be a better choice than black.

I also went with this combo years ago.

First the pedals are indestructable. One of the most durable and consistent pedals out there.
You might have to remove the axle once a year to lube it up. 10 minute job from start to finish for both pedals.

Initially the Sette shoes felt nice and wide (I have very wide feet). But after a year they start feeling narrow and uncomfortable. Either my feet are still growing or the shoes
have shrunk a bit from washing.

A good starter combo.

I also went with this combo years ago.

First the pedals are indestructable. One of the most durable and consistent pedals out there.
You might have to remove the axle once a year to lube it up. 10 minute job from start to finish for both pedals.

Initially the Sette shoes felt nice and wide (I have very wide feet). But after a year they start feeling narrow and uncomfortable. Either my feet are still growing or the shoes
have shrunk a bit from washing.

A good starter combo.

I thought the shoes were narrow at first, but by not pulling so tight on the bottom straps it feels much better.

How do you wash shoes?

Day 2 - Still learning to use these. Getting easier, though.
The sand (and a little mud) at Allaire had no effect on the pedals.
Now the pedals look like they are two years old. I think clear anodizing would be a better choice than black.

I switched back to platforms at the beginning of this summer (2013). Just this week I decided to give the clipless another try.

I put the Time Atac pedals back on the bike. I adjusted the cleats by moving them all the way towards the back of the shoe. Last year they were all the way front and I was having a rough time clipping out. With the cleats towards the rear I don't have to move my foot as much or as deliberately to get out. I also cut away some of the shoe sole on each side of the cleat. Just a shave with a utility knife.

I had a good ride, slow and fast, and didn't lay down once. I even saved myself from a zero MPH fall. I'm sure I'll be on the ground again, but not like last year.

Back
Top Bottom