Sedona Recommendations?

Is a rental car required to enjoy Sedona?

The shuttle is nice and convenient, but you probably want a car. You don't 100% need one if you stay in West Sedona and are near the bike shop, but it's easier and gives you more options. The times I took the shuttle I was meeting other people that had a rental car. When I went by myself, I rented a car.

Checking in to lodging. I think rental/trail proximity and hot tub are the requirements. So far for a Sat-Sat trip with a decent place + flight I'm looking at $2k. That's better than I was assuming. :thumbsup:

It helps. You can take a shuttle from Phoenix which I believe Nagy has done.

Also keep in mind that eating out there sucks. Way expensive for average-to-bad food. You can drive to Cottonwood for better options. But you’ll want to be able to get to a food store.

I’m sure you can Uber as-needed though. Figure out the shuttle and go from there IMO.
Agree except Elote cafe. Thats a must try in town. But it’s a foodie hangout in a restaurant poor town so there’s always a line.

Agreed, but they have started taking reservations, so you can now skip the line
And plan ahead.
We just booked at Elote more than a month in advance, and it was slim Pickens.
It is presidents week, so that may be at play, but still.

And yes, only good Resto in town.
Whatever you do, do not go out for “BBQ”, and do not go to the Cowboy Club.
Your welcomed.

Mescal should be part of your loop. Something like Chuck Wagon, Mescal, Aerie, then whatever to round you out.

This hits all that:

This is a slightly better loop but does not hit Chuck Wagon:

I would park in the spot in the second link, then ride the start of that, add Chuck Wagon to that loop, then follow it to the parking lot.

If you want to opt for 1 of the 3 Hs I would suggest Hiline. Hogs is a grade above that and Hangover is where people routinely hurt themselves because it's pretty exposed and high risk.

Our Hiline loop:

That is some solid scenery, but also more technical than the Mescal area. And while it's not a lot, there is definitely some gnar in the end of that Hiline loop.

0D976DC4-69EB-42C1-978C-5510FB980E98.jpeg

Almost time to get this wagon moving. I should be in Sedona late Sunday through early Wednesday, and the weather is looking solid.

@xc62701
Some good reco’s here

Trails: Plenty of options in the west Sedona area. You can easily string a loop together. Some of my faves in that area: Mescal, Aerie, Cockscomb, Outer Limits, Ledge n Airy, Last Frontier, Girdner, Chuck Wagon. But the trails considered "must do" are the 3 H's, i.e. Hi-Line, Hangover, & Hogs. These are double black and technical with some major exposure.

Mescal should be part of your loop. Something like Chuck Wagon, Mescal, Aerie, then whatever to round you out.

This hits all that:

This is a slightly better loop but does not hit Chuck Wagon:

I would park in the spot in the second link, then ride the start of that, add Chuck Wagon to that loop, then follow it to the parking lot.

If you want to opt for 1 of the 3 Hs I would suggest Hiline. Hogs is a grade above that and Hangover is where people routinely hurt themselves because it's pretty exposed and high risk.

Our Hiline loop:

That is some solid scenery, but also more technical than the Mescal area. And while it's not a lot, there is definitely some gnar in the end of that Hiline loop.

Javelina Cantina is a safe bet for standard texmex- good margaritas

Also the Oak Creek Brewery location in Tlaqapaque has decent food.
The actual brewery location is fun for the Tuesday night drum circle for some local flavor.

Took the family to Sedona last year. If one is craving pizza in Sedona, Vespa Healthy Italian Cafe is good. Just keep in mind, it’s not classic NJ pizza. It’s modern Sedona pizza😁.

If pressed for time and just want to get a feel for the area, a quick loop near Thunder Mountain Bikes is Adobe Jack up to the Sinkhole then Jordan to Ant Hill to Grand Central. Adobe Jack is an easy climb up(except for the small section by the trailhead). Jordan gets more challenging but still a blue. Ant Hill has great views of Sedona but some slick ball bearing type pebbles riding down it(carful very steep and slick-looks fairly tame on utube vids). Grand Central trail back down has a nice pace to it. I’ll call it flowy tech. I also rode some of Solders Pass(beautiful trail) but ran low on time as was taking the family to the Grand Canyon that day.

I look at my pics and vids and looks like nothing compared to the real thing(either that or my photos suck😂). Really a place one needs to see in person.

IMG_7265.jpeg

Sedona is just amazing. Views everywhere!

Last edited:
IMG_0595.jpeg
IMG_0594.jpeg
IMG_0592.jpeg
I pulled 110 miles on the moto yesterday, running all of the official OHV trails with exception of three. The scenery was unreal.

One of my stops included sitting below the famous “White Line Trail”. Holy hell - I have ridden A-Line at Whistler, Dwayne Johnson as well. Pretty much everything in Whistler (on the official map) beyond the Crabapple hits and I can say I don’t think there is anyway I would ride the White Line - major props if you have.

Breakfast at the Coffee Pot is very solid.

Should be on the bike today - boy I wish I had a dual suspension trail bike vs. my fat bike.

IMG_0623.jpeg

View attachment 231818View attachment 231819View attachment 231820I pulled 110 miles on the moto yesterday, running all of the official OHV trails with exception of three. The scenery was unreal.

One of my stops included sitting below the famous “White Line Trail”. Holy hell - I have ridden A-Line at Whistler, Dwayne Johnson as well. Pretty much everything in Whistler (on the official map) beyond the Crabapple hits and I can say I don’t think there is anyway I would ride the White Line - major props if you have.

Should be on the bike today - boy I wish I had a dual suspension trail bike vs. my fat bike.

View attachment 231821
That breakfast looks good any time of day! How many times did you fill up (the Husky that is)?

View attachment 231818View attachment 231819View attachment 231820I pulled 110 miles on the moto yesterday, running all of the official OHV trails with exception of three. The scenery was unreal.

View attachment 231821
Good to know. I reserved a FS bike. I was debating on a hardtail.

Back
Top Bottom