Science is looking up

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Good stuff here, wish I'd seen it sooner!
Right now just before dawn in the East is a cool alignment of Venus, Jupiter and Mars. Was really neat couple weeks ago with the waning moon. Tonight should be peak of the Orionids if you're out there. I might walk the dogs a little early (like 5am) and see what I can see.
That is what that has been, thanks!

Now what is the meat clever looking star formation below Orion's right foot?

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
That is what that has been, thanks!

Now what is the meat clever looking star formation below Orion's right foot?

Lemme get back to you on that, my astronomy game is a work in progress. Pat will likely be along to blow our minds soon enough. :D

Kaleidopete

I looked for the ISS tonight, for my town it was to be at 7:48 @32° for 2 minutes in the west. Nothin' , but it is a little cloudy.
Thanks for the heads up, it was fun anyway.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Some high level clouds took the sparkle out but hopefully tonight stays clear:

I always thought the October and November full moons are the most spectacular and October expscillsay because it is completely dark until 6:30. Watched the moon drop over the ridge from Pleasant Valley above Lambertville around 6:00 this morning. It was orange as a pumpkin.

Hunter's Moon
Some Native American tribes referred to October’s Moon as the Full Hunter’s Moon, as it was the time to go hunting in preparation for winter. This full Moon is also called the Travel Moon and the Dying Grass Moon.

This is the first Full Moon following the Harvest Moon last month. It rises around sunset and sets around sunrise, the only night in the month when the Moon is in the sky all night long.

October Moon Dates 2015
All times are Eastern Daylight Time. See the Moon Phase Calendar for YOUR city/state.

last_quarter_new(1).png
Last Quarter: October 4, 5:06 P.M.
newmoon-75(1).png
New Moon: October 12, 8:06 P.M.
first_quarter_new(1).png

First Quarter: October 20, 4:31 P.M.
fullmoon-70(1).png

Full Moon: October 27, 8:05 A.M.

rick81721

Lothar
Should be a decent moon for halloween. Will be out on niterider with skeleton mask to scare the kiddies and maybe poach a few candy bars

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed

I love this article. This is a classic "unplanned outcome" scenario, which is my favorite theme of human history - for thousands of years we've been trying to do things we think are good only to have them lead to unplanned consequences that are really, really bad. Obviously, when self-driving cars were conceived, the strong motivation was to make the roads safer, but no one would have considered the inevitable ethical dilemma of how to handle unavoidable accidents. I don't think the "sacrifice the driver" is a necessary option - they could improve safety features to protect the driver better in the event of any crash. But I think the bigger dilemma is how to choose who to kill externally: let's say that instead of having to choose between killing the occupants and killing external pedestrians, the choice becomes choosing to kill one group of pedestrians vs. another. So there is no wall to run into -- just a large crowd. How does the car navigate that? I love that this is an argument that actually needs to be addressed. Do you kill a cluster of six pedestrians if it means saving another cluster of 10? Or should we instead come up with some other means of determining the path independent of total headcount. Say, something that has to do with a relative value of one life vs. another. That would be awesome. Just plant a chip in everyone that wi-fi broadcasts some arbitrary score of their relative value to society and then have the car choose a path that minimizes the sum of scores it takes out. I vote for this option simply because I love the chaos and such a score would certainly cause more than anyone can imagine. It would be amusing.

rlb

Anyone see it? I only had the opportunity around 9:30 and I was driving, so I didn't get to look much.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Totally forgot - fell asleep around 9:00. I didn't see any reports tho...

Top Bottom