Sandy Hook Re-opens May 1

OK, dopey question time, and I think its already been asked, but here goes.

If Im on my bike, say coming from HH or Ocean Ave. onto Sandy Hook, do I need to pay or do they let the bicyclists through. Doesnt the paved trail actually take you around the toll booths?

Pretty sure they let you through Wally. Actually i think if you drive up with a bike on your car and tell them your just going for a bike ride and not on the beach they either let u through or u pay a lesser fee.

There's not a continuous beach on the inlet side. I've actually walked my bike through the water exploring over there. Your best bet is to ride the beach on the eastern side all the way around the hook to the Coast Guard base. There's a couple Jeep trails you'll need to take in order to get around that. You'll end up on the road back near the dorms and lighthouse before hitting the path.

Walter, ride straight through. You no pay.

-Jim.

There is a paved bike path that avoids the toll booths. On Wednesday, I actually crossed over in Sea Bright and rode up on the beach. I went up the beach a little, and the southerly wind and super loose sand made it very hard. I then went to the path and rode north. I got to the Coast Guard Station and rode up to the very tip. I was going to go east from there, and that is where it was closed. I went south and found the beach at the closest part that was open. I was hoping to go to the north tip and ride east and south from there, but they had ropes up all the way into the water, so I was looking to avoid arrest. :)

Back
Top Bottom