San Fran local mtb trails?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Any recommenations for mtb trails close by san fran? Preferrably with a view? I will be there for a few days next month. TIA

Drive south and go to Santa Cruz. You can demo a bike right from the factory. Then go to Humble Sea Brewing after.

@Norm did some riding closer to the city a few months back I think.

We rented beater bikes and rode the city, the big bridge, Mill Valley, then took a boat back. Well worth it.

If you want trails I think just north of the bridge you have Mt Tam:

Supposed to be solid. Or more south to a bunch of things.

A coworker of mine does the stuff east of Oakland:

A place called Marin County.
Some mtbing there. ;)

My family ride took us over the GG bridge, around the fort and back into town.
So no single track action. We did see some proper mtb going in/out of the Muir woods area.

China camp had fun riding just across the GG and a little farther north annadel state park in Santa Rosa

I was in the same situation a month ago and did a bunch of research. If you’re in San Francisco* proper then heading north to Marin country is the closest option as Norm and Patrick said, see https://www.trailforks.com/region/marin-county/ridingareas/

But although mountain biking was invented in Marin, trail access has been restricted a lot there. So I headed down to Santa Cruz instead, as MadisonDan advises. It’s not close — took me a 30 min Lyft ride to San Jose then a 45 min bus ride — but I rode for three days and it was worth it. Tremendous, flow trails. Gorgeous pine forests. A trail that leads to the beach and the ocean. The second best cycling trip I’ve taken.

I rented from https://www.cycleworks.bike/ who will also give you a tour of some of the key trails and shuttle you to the top of the mountain. Feel free to message me for more details.

* If you say “San Fran” people will mark you as a green East Coaster. “SF” is acceptable :)

CB57B798-4310-4E03-A2A4-70BCE5FDF5C6.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom