Route from NJ to DC

qclabrat

Has anyone rode to DC on the Greenway? Did you ride both ways or did you take a bus back? Planning this trip as bucket list for later this year.
Screenshot_20230123-222554.png

No, but gets a bit sketchy through Trenton. Plan accordingly.

IIRC, the Greenway that heads to points south branches off past the auto wrecker, and that part is well defined. Though you do go past the waterworks before that, which can be a treat depending on which way the wind is blowing.

also haven’t done this but see if taking Amtrak back to NJ is an option. Acela Express it’s like 2 hours to Edison metro park I’m sure they have bike storage cars or something like that.

No, but gets a bit sketchy through Trenton. Plan accordingly.

IIRC, the Greenway that heads to points south branches off past the auto wrecker, and that part is well defined. Though you do go past the waterworks before that, which can be a treat depending on which way the wind is blowing.
I'm sure some will disagree but if you ask me sketchy is putting it mildly.

If you choose to stay on the NJ side you can avoid riding down Centre Street and cut behind Arm and Hammer Park by shooting down to Warren Street and crossing then connect to the section along the river a little further down. But I would probably choose PA if it were me.

I've connected to the bridge into PA from that parking lot before and while it's not my favorite area to ride it's more the cars you have to watch out for than the locals. I've also ridden from the Northern end of Trenton down as far as Mulberry Street. But that section from Mulberry down to the Riverfront isn't something I've been willing to try yet. It's simply not a nice area and I don't know who thought bringing the greenway right through a high crime area was a safe/smart idea.

I'd take it one step further and say from Hopewell to DC is probably the shittiest ride anyone could ever do on a bicycle. It's absolutely horrible. Horrible with a capital H. Zero percent is good. Route is bad, cars are bad, people are bad. Worst idea anyone has ever had in the history of bad ideas.

also haven’t done this but see if taking Amtrak back to NJ is an option. Acela Express it’s like 2 hours to Edison metro park I’m sure they have bike storage cars or something like that.
I've taken Acela many times to DC from both the Newark Penn Station and Metropark and there's no way they'll let a bike on there. It is packed enough as it is. May need to take regular Amtrak. Another option is to have someone drive a SAG wagon down with you so you can drive back in it. That's what we did for our century ride to Key West.

Last edited:
I'd take it one step further and say from Hopewell to DC is probably the shittiest ride anyone could ever do on a bicycle. It's absolutely horrible. Horrible with a capital H. Zero percent is good. Route is bad, cars are bad, people are bad. Worst idea anyone has ever had in the history of bad ideas.
Hopewell VA?

Somebody’s done something like this… maybe not this exact route… but something like it. Now if I could only remember who the heck it was. Maybe @1speed or maybe @bigW? I can’t remember.

I'm sure some will disagree but if you ask me sketchy is putting it mildly.

If you choose to stay on the NJ side you can avoid riding down Centre Street and cut behind Arm and Hammer Park by shooting down to Warren Street and crossing then connect to the section along the river a little further down. But I would probably choose PA if it were me.

I've connected to the bridge into PA from that parking lot before and while it's not my favorite area to ride it's more the cars you have to watch out for than the locals. I've also ridden from the Northern end of Trenton down as far as Mulberry Street. But that section from Mulberry down to the Riverfront isn't something I've been willing to try yet. It's simply not a nice area and I don't know who thought bringing the greenway right through a high crime area was a safe/smart idea.
I've done the DnR to the Greenway thru Trenton. If before 12pm not terrible, just lots of stares. But the sections behind people's yards and adjacent to the sewage canal is a bit freaky. Was prior to COVID so expect more craziness now
Picture2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom