Rode "stone gate" for the first time

clutch

is it a trail formation which resembles a turtle, a catatonic turtle that doesn't move or a dead turtle, or maybe one with an incredibly small range.
2573365878_02b1d8041f_b.jpg

from:http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6553&highlight=turtle

Stocky

If you want to hit MD this weekend maybe sunday early let me know nice slow paced ride.

We will be riding at 6am on Sunday from the main lot.

Do you want to join us or are you're offering to show us other routes ?

Either way is good, there's usually 4 of us and we will have one more joining us this week, as long as he daoesn't stay out to late on Saturday night.

J

jimex7

ride

I need to clear it with wife. 6am? The gate open yet if not we can ride from my house. I will follow up with you by end of week. I can show the way if you want i do know the trails.

Stocky

We live in Rockaway, so we meet at 5:30am and get there usually just as they open the gate or often before.
We know are way around for the most part, but it was suggested we ride Cascade, I really just need to look at the map and see how to get to it.

J

jimex7

That is the loop i generally do it is really nice. I do not mind going it has been a while I could use it.

HumanVise

I generally ride cascade backwards from the norm. What I have been doing is parking at the picnic area, heading North, take a right on the old Pine Swamp trail. At the bottom of the first gravel hill, bear left (if you go right it will dump you down on Weldon Rd.). There's a short little climb and as the trail bears off to the right for the Pine Swamp trail you will notice a little Singletrack on the right....cascade. If you go this way, the "lookout" to the school is probably about 1/2 mile in....watch out for a small stump on the trail, this was buried in leaves one day and promptly ejected me from my bike.

I think you mentioned your normal loop brings you to the highest Point in MC. Instead of going down the gravel switchbacks, head straight down into the Pine Swamp. After coming out of the swamp and you start climbing again you will probably recognize a rather obvious "party rock" on the right side where there was always a fire ring. A few hundred feet on the right is where my reverse cascade ride dumps me.

Hopefully this rings a few bells and helps you find it.

We live in Rockaway, so we meet at 5:30am and get there usually just as they open the gate or often before.
We know are way around for the most part, but it was suggested we ride Cascade, I really just need to look at the map and see how to get to it.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I generally ride cascade backwards from the norm. What I have been doing is parking at the picnic area, heading North, take a right on the old Pine Swamp trail. At the bottom of the first gravel hill, bear left (if you go right it will dump you down on Weldon Rd.). There's a short little climb and as the trail bears off to the right for the Pine Swamp trail you will notice a little Singletrack on the right....cascade.

That is the direction I ride Cascade (CCW)....that way I avoid the big climb towards the HS while running clock-wise.

My approach to the head of Cascade from the picnic area is a little different, though. I take a left on the old Pine Swamp trail. If you just keep to the right, you'll loop around and end up at the top of the "short little climb" you described.

'Don't have to deal with gravel (which I hate there, btw), nor do you have to deal with that little climb. It is a little farther w/o any big climbs and makes a nice light warm-up before you get to Cascade.

Attached is a google earth file showing this...

Edit: I took my best guess in placing the trail head place marks...they could be of a little.

Attachments

• Exploring070608.kmz
    8.2 KB · Views: 75

HumanVise

Tim,

I know the trail you speak of, that would work good as well. I used to walk my dog there a lot. Ditto on the stupid gravel!

Not to hijack the thread but how are those Conti Mountain Kings working for you? I'm a big fan of Conti's (Vert pro, Explorer Pro), and looking to give those MT Kings a try. I've got Fast trak on the rear and Captain on the front and just not thrilled with them. Never been a huge fan of Spec. tires, even when everybody swears they're the sh**.

That is the direction I ride Cascade (CCW)....that way I avoid the big climb towards the HS while running clock-wise.

My approach to the head of Cascade from the picnic area is a little different, though. I take a left on the old Pine Swamp trail. If you just keep to the right, you'll loop around and end up at the top of the "short little climb" you described.

'Don't have to deal with gravel (which I hate there, btw), nor do you have to deal with that little climb. It is a little farther w/o any big climbs and makes a nice light warm-up before you get to Cascade.

Attached is a google earth file showing this...

Edit: I took my best guess in placing the trail head place marks...they could be of a little.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Not to hijack the thread but how are those Conti Mountain Kings working for you? I'm a big fan of Conti's (Vert pro, Explorer Pro), and looking to give those MT Kings a try. I've got Fast trak on the rear and Captain on the front and just not thrilled with them. Never been a huge fan of Spec. tires, even when everybody swears they're the sh**.

Hijacking is what we do!

The Mtn Kings are working very well for the most part. They seem to grip better, both cornering and climbing, than the Pararacer Fire Pro UST's I have on my 5-spot. They don't seem to like really loose stuff, though (like that damn gravel for instance). And, they seem to be wearing a little faster than any other tire I've tried.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Must be something wrong with my computer- all I see is a rigid 29er singlespeed going over a little rock:rofl:. Another member of the Darkside- more will follow!!

That is the king of the dark side; Sean a.k.a. anrothar. He was SS/Rigid when SS/Rigid wasn't cool...

Panhead

Sean is the main reason for me switching. Borrowed a SS from a shop and did a 15 mile night ride with him. The bike never went back.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Sean is the main reason for me switching. Borrowed a SS from a shop and did a 15 mile night ride with him. The bike never went back.

He offered to sell me his GF Rig and I bought it. I now have that, a Niner SIR9, and my 5-spot is a bare frame now sitting in the basement.

Told ya' he was the king of the Darkside...

walter

Fourth Party
I'm looking for the pic of Sean riding over a fallen redwood at Hartshorne last summer. He was with Gt2brew and Shaggz, it was a bad ass picture. Pretty sure he was riding the KM.

Top Bottom