Road Shorts Recommendations

rosceaux

I believe that I am suffering from BAS (Boney Ass Syndrome). On my mtb, no problem. But on my road/cross bike, huge pain in the ass after an hour or so. Not saddle sores, but a really sore butt. Same whether on the road and rollers. I've been through 7 different saddles and I'm pretty happy with the one I have now (SQLab). Multiple pro bike fittings. Clipless and flats. Tried changing positions, etc. etc. stretching during long rides, et. etc. I even tried increasing time with non-padded compression shorts. I have one pair of PearlIzumi shorts and two pair of Giordana bibs. They are all pretty old, so thinking that newer sets might be worth investigating. Any suggestions?

If your looking for something inexpensive. Try the blackbibs.com. although I'm finding mine that are over a year old not as comfortable as when new. Had a new pair I used on my first centuryin May. They were perfect.

Castelli’s chamois are really thin and comfy. Find a set one level above their economy ones.

Rapha core is their entry level and really good. One thing about Rapha chamois is that they last a really long time.

I’ve been using Endura FS260 Pro SL bibs and have been pretty happy with them.

Before Endura, I was using Specialized RBX shorts and I liked them a lot too. I’ve had them 7-8 years and they are solid. I used a pair today on a 2 hour road ride and my only complaint was that a bib would’ve kept my lower back warmer.

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of the Pearl Izumi Interval bib. Just the right amount of padding, for me at least. Sure you know at this point that this is a journey you'll have to take alone.

Walk a mile in a man's shoes...
Ride 3 hours in his bike shorts?

Thanks so far for the recommendations!

Strange... I didn't know there was any difference between mtn bike kit and road kit. My "mtn bike kit" is pretty much my road kit with baggy shorts added, although I have some jerseys I tend to wear more for some rides than others... :shrug:

Being more roadie than MTBkr I can say that for at least 5 years all the bib shorts I have bought and worn for multi day long rides are Pactimo. This is true way before I became a brand ambassador for 2020
Too. They have several ranges of low medium and high end bibs depending on your budget but I can honestly say the value for money and quality is fantastic. I have been wearing the “Ascent” mid level ones for years.

I also just ride my same bibs for road and MTB but they have stuff for both.

PM me I can share a monthly discount code for 30% off if you see something you want to try. Otherwise sign up for mailing list and grab a close out item to try you won’t regret it.

Edit. They have a very flexible exchange policy if something doesn’t fit just don’t cut the tags off.

Www.pactimo.com

Our last few team jerseys have been through Pactimo and I agree their bib shorts fit well, although I recommend going up one size. Their L fits more like a M in other brands I have.

Strange... I didn't know there was any difference between mtn bike kit and road kit. My "mtn bike kit" is pretty much my road kit with baggy shorts added, although I have some jerseys I tend to wear more for some rides than others... :shrug:
Lycra rubs were against some baggies and liners breath better.

good information. I have never used the liners that come with some baggie shorts - because their chamois looked inferior to my road shorts or bib. Or because I usually use cargo shorts that are not biking specific and did not include a liner.

I will have to try a chamois/liner in the hot weather and see if it provides increased breathability for me.

I have the unpopular opinion that the black bibs suck. I bought their mid range. The chamois is too thick. I almost felt like I had to lower my seat post because of it.

they do seem to have gotten better after a few rides and washes but at the the end of the cliche, you get what you pay for.

I have the unpopular opinion that the black bibs suck. I bought their mid range. The chamois is too thick. I almost felt like I had to lower my seat post because of it.

they do seem to have gotten better after a few rides and washes but at the the end of the cliche, you get what you pay for.
Anyone reading this thread, @jShort only rides in $300 bibs normally; so take this with a grain of salt

For whatever it's worth, I picked up winter bibs from Voler and they're excellent. Kind of nice to buy clothing made in the US. Can't compare to Rapha, Assos, etc because I don't own any of that stuff.

For whatever it's worth, I picked up winter bibs from Voler and they're excellent. Kind of nice to buy clothing made in the US. Can't compare to Rapha, Assos, etc because I don't own any of that stuff.
Voler is the brand that my mtb race team uses for several years now. Have Voler bibs purchased going back to '14 that are still good.

I guess... I do have and wear some dedicated liners, which definitely are more - revealing - than regular cycling shorts/bibs. I don't know if I consider them more comfortable. Sometimes less comfortable, as they tend to fit more loosely which I don't care for at all.

Last edited:
I guess... I do have and wear some dedicated liners, which definitely are more - revealing - that regular cycling shorts/bibs. I don't know if I consider them more comfortable. Sometimes less comfortable, as they tend to fit more loosely which I don't care for at all.
Yeah, winter time I have bib liners but in the humid weather I find bibs and bib liners too hot. Then I use the underwear type.

Back
Top Bottom