Ringwood State Park Conditions

bbrossok

Speechless.. What benefit do these A$$holes get by destroying a well constructed great riding trail????? I go to the woods to get away from the frustrations of reality, and this kind of activity is just a harsh reminder JERKS are EVERYWHERE!!!!

ridermarc

Intentional Trail Damage in Ringwood

I see this is old news on here.. now that I've read a bunch. It was a total bummer to find this in the woods… it appears that someone is undoing the trail work completed by JORBA in Ringwood. This was found on the Skylands trail. Worst yet, the rumor is that this being done by a fellow mountain biker. In retaliation to his jumps being removed or something. Lots of donated time goes into the Ringwood trail system. It’s really sad to see this happening. Please get the word out to stop this is BS. I hear they are hoping a trail camera caught the person on the trail. Won't hear till next week.

check out the photo:http://ridermarc.tumblr.com/post/94183756935/hi-folks-total-bummer-to-find-this-in-the

treerider

Agreed bbrossok....

ridermarc and I are a looking to put together a community meeting for folks who ride in Ringwood, and those who live in Ringwood. It is especially tough to swallow this type of stuff when you invest in living somewhere for the trail system and then see it destroyed by....well ya know.

If anyone in the forum is interested in this idea let us know. We are open to suggestions on where to meet. Maybe the Ringwood Library or possibly Erskine or Cupsaw. Please help us get the word out.

The basic idea is to form a group, pull together the local rider base (it's big, we just don't all know each other) - yet. And to raise awareness about what a special place this is and the value (potential) it has to bring to a (Ringwood & MTB) community like ours . If we can rally a group, maybe we can all police what we are so lucky to have and help put an end to this BS.

I travel and ride all over the place, and this region of NJ has the potential to be one of the best spots in the country to ride... It already is and I think people take it for granted. It is truly a destination. The plans are in place to make it even better, but is is hard to move forward for the volunteers when this happens.

The tens of thousands of hours of volunteer work that built our trails should not get laid to waste...we need a new level of respect and consciousness and that comes from a strong united community.

I participate in all types of riding, and we are lucky to have access to any type of trail, from beginner to "gnar" that you want within and hour. Creating your own version of a trail to suit your selfish needs is silly when there is so much access around here.

JORBA is the last group that should suffer when they are not the enforcer. it is the State Parks job to enforce this stuff...so whoever is vandalizing the trail, stop punishing JORBA. I am sure you have volunteered your time at some point in your life to a cause - would you want to be disrespected like this?

Lastly if you are out on the trail and see someone building / unbuilding... and it's not the Trail Crew or a known member....take a picture and email it in JORBA knows who is legit...Pretend you are checking your Strava ;)

Sorry for the soapbox rant...but I love our trails.

Steve B

I would love to see results from the rumored trail cam. After the first wave of vandalism, I set mine out and got nothing over a week's time as there was a lull in dirtbag activity. Mine takes stills and 10 second video clips based off a motion detector. I did get some shots of fellow MTB'ers doing some nice technical riding though. My recollection was that the vandalism appeared to happen on Early weekdays (based on trail reports from my trusty dog walking wife)....(who happens to be Barb).

huffster

I see you posted to 1/2 the North Jersey forums. I'll answer here once. I was in Wawayanda the other day and there was barely any snow left. Trails were pretty good, but it was cold (30 degrees), thus trails were frozen. I rode in Middletown, NY today. There was a dusting. Trails were frozen.

Typically, I find Wawa gets more snow than Jungle, Ringwood, MDR. The past couple days did not seem to drop as much snow as expected. Today was pretty much a dry day. Trails are sure to be frozen, since its getting colder right now and www.weather.com is calling for a high of 32 for tomorrow.

Have at it!

Wear bright colors...its regular big game season and the 6-day bear hunt is on this week as well.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I would recommend that Saturday riders do a county park with no hunting this weekend: Blue mountain, Harthshorn etc. Sunday is no hunting in State Parks.

greeek32

I see you posted to 1/2 the North Jersey forums. I'll answer here once. I was in Wawayanda the other day and there was barely any snow left. Trails were pretty good, but it was cold (30 degrees), thus trails were frozen. I rode in Middletown, NY today. There was a dusting. Trails were frozen.

Typically, I find Wawa gets more snow than Jungle, Ringwood, MDR. The past couple days did not seem to drop as much snow as expected. Today was pretty much a dry day. Trails are sure to be frozen, since its getting colder right now and www.weather.com is calling for a high of 32 for tomorrow.

Have at it!

Wear bright colors...its regular big game season and the 6-day bear hunt is on this week as well.
Where'd you ride in Middletown and is it any good?

greeek32

Wear an orange jacket. I've ridden in the woods every hunting season for 24 years and never had a problem other than at Stewart.

bcf811

I normally don't worry but I also don't ride up north frequently and hunting was mentioned multiple times. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Thanks again!

huffster

Where'd you ride in Middletown and is it any good?

Highland Lakes State Park (aka Camp Orange). I like it. Its got a good variety of double track and single track, some climbs, but nothing too bad. There isn't too much technical stuff.

I've slowly been learning my way around. The trails are mostly unmarked and there is no map that I can find. So, in that regard its good and bad. Good in that you get to explore. Bad in that you can get a little lost. But, if you look at the map of roads that surround it, you can't really get truly lost. It also helps to have a pretty good sense of direction.

I have a handful of GPS tracks in my Everytrail account so if you type in Camp Orange and then do an advanced search to select 'Mountain Biking'. You'll find a bunch, mostly mine. Someone named Kit-Kat has a couple there as well. There may be others on Strava or elsewhere.

Another nice bonus...no hunting!

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wear an orange jacket. I've ridden in the woods every hunting season for 24 years and never had a problem other than at Stewart.

Didn't get an arrow to the knee, did you? :hmmm:

I hear Stewart is back in action as of this past Monday? Itching for some close to home winter riding. Was also wondering where in Middletown since I'm 15 minutes out.

greeek32

Didn't get an arrow to the knee, did you? :hmmm:

I hear Stewart is back in action as of this past Monday? Itching for some close to home winter riding. Was also wondering where in Middletown since I'm 15 minutes out.
To be honest, Stewart isn't really an issue anymore as I almost never ride there. It used to be a good place to stop on my way home from work but now I don't bother, its just so boring after you've ridden the whole place through a few times.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
To be honest, Stewart isn't really an issue anymore as I almost never ride there. It used to be a good place to stop on my way home from work but now I don't bother, its just so boring after you've ridden the whole place through a few times.

Might not be the best, but it's close and the mileage you can put down there is awesome. Cardio trail system! Training for the stuff in North Jersey.

SSmtbr

Went out today and started from Shepherd Lake to race trail, skylands, R/R, white up to the pond and back down before running out of daylight. Overall trails were very firm and crunchy toward the lake. Closer to skylands, R/R, and white trails were icy and slick. Some ruts from tires and boots but still had a blast for the first ride of 2015!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions