Restoring Cast Iron Skillets

interesting i just used an orbital grinder on my lodge
My duch oven was getting crusty after 30 yrs. I took it to work and hit it with the sandblaster and then a cup wire wheel.
Seasoned with canola oil, came looking better than new because it was almost a mirror finish.

Turned out great. I didn't go too crazy on it but it's much smoother now. This is the video that inspired me (something about the pre-seasoned Lodge having polymerized something something coating at super high temperature):

Thanks for sharing this. It was a great video and the process looked easy. And I bet @Patrick has a hand held sander.

I set the oven at 450* using canola oil. I've tried olive oil before and it did not turn out as good as the canola :shrug:

This is after 6 or 7 uses, still tough as nails.View attachment 142135

i was taught to wash, and put on the burner, then oil, and keep it hot, after every use. at some point it is like 3 drops of oil wiped across the surface.

olive has a bunch of flavors - canola is very neutral. wonder if that matters?

i was taught to wash, and put on the burner, then oil, and keep it hot, after every use. at some point it is like 3 drops of oil wiped across the surface.

olive has a bunch of flavors - canola is very neutral. wonder if that matters?
For some reason olive oil comes out splotchy, canola more even. This one is due for a quick touch up, but I do dry it on a burner after every wash.

Okay, what about a warped cast iron pan?
No idea how this happened, but it weeble-wobbles on a glass top stove.

Beat it on a rock until it’s flat?
Flip it upside down and sledge it?

@Karate Monkey

Okay, what about a warped cast iron pan?
No idea how this happened, but it weeble-wobbles on a glass top stove.

Beat it on a rock until it’s flat?
Flip it upside down and sledge it?

@Karate Monkey
They will never be flat enough for glass.
Calphalon is tho!

Yeah, warped is warped. You try to fix it, and you will crack the pan...cast metals are like that.

Usually, they warp from excessively high heat (think oven cleaning cycle) or from having cold water dumped into a really hot pan, and thermal shocking it. Spraying with a mist/putting a small amount in is fine, but cooling the pan from cooking temperature to cold in seconds is a problem.

Do not use olive oil, it has low smoke point.

Canola oil can be heated up to much higher temp then olive,

Heat skillet to smoking point after cleaning and wipe with oil.

Season once or twice per year with salt and oil.

Do not use olive oil, it has low smoke point.

This is the correct reason that the Interweb tells you. I will however say that there is a trend of using flax seed oil which has super low smoke point. Basically, your pan turns almost black with the 1st burn. Then you do it like 2-3 more times and the surface becomes completely black. That black burn basically creates a smooth polymerized surface. I have tried it and it works, but after trying like 5 different oils, cooking spray and various fat, I settled on grape seed oil.

Here is the key for me. I don't go seasoning it like 10 times like some people tell you. I just do it once. Then next day, I cook 3 eggs on it one at a time with the oil of your choice (over easy). They will stick. Take a metal spatula .. like the ones they use in restaurants with a sharp edge. Scrape all the egg off, you can go to town on it if you want. Clean it with a paper towel and wait a day. The next time you cook eggs on it, it won't stick. As you cook with it, the pan will season itself.

Last edited:
Oh the other thing is I season my pans on the stove, not in the oven. And I keep wiping at the surface with a paper towel. This will get everything smooth and no splotches. I keep it burning for like 30 minutes or so until I see no smoke or little smoke. Sometimes the pan is still sticky because you haven't burned off all the oil. This is fine, as you cook with it all that stuff will burn up.

I’ve been using grape seed oil and it’s been working better compared to olive oil, canola oil, and avocado oils which were tried.

Got some porcelain coated CI grates for the BBQ.
(Couldn’t find any raw cast iron ones)
I know it’s not necessary, but any benefits from doing a traditional seasoning of them?
Internet seems mixed on this.

Got some porcelain coated CI grates for the BBQ.
(Couldn’t find any raw cast iron ones)
I know it’s not necessary, but any benefits from doing a traditional seasoning of them?
Internet seems mixed on this.

porcelain coating would stop anything from touching the cast iron making it a waste of effort wouldnt it?

porcelain coating would stop anything from touching the cast iron making it a waste of effort wouldnt it?
Yeah, I believe so, but I also see some suggesting to do it.
Does defy logic.

Back
Top Bottom