Replace or repair?

Jameslafavor

I must have dropped my bike at some point. Can I get away with bending this back straight? Or should I just replace it?

Attachments

• 20201003_125344.jpg
    20201003_125344.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 106
Does it effect the operation? The upper pulley is the one that is important as far as alignment with the cassette. As long as the chain isn't clanking on the bottom of the cage/falling off, you're good to go.

BTW, starting with that generation (9000) of XTR--and with all the new stuff--Shimano put an intentional bend like that into the cage. Points the chain towards the chainring, and helps it run quieter/wear the lower pulley less quickly.

Check to see if your pulley is cracked, though. They really don't like getting hit like that.

Does it effect the operation? The upper pulley is the one that is important as far as alignment with the cassette. As long as the chain isn't clanking on the bottom of the cage/falling off, you're good to go.

BTW, starting with that generation (9000) of XTR--and with all the new stuff--Shimano put an intentional bend like that into the cage. Points the chain towards the chainring, and helps it run quieter/wear the lower pulley less quickly.

Check to see if your pulley is cracked, though. They really don't like getting hit like that.
I didnt actually notice it until the next day. It does make some noises when I pedal, the chain wasn't aligned, I had to bend it a little bit. Ill take a look tomorrow to see if anything is cracked. Its been recommended by a few people to just bend it back and i should be good.

You can replace just the cage if straightening doesn’t cut it. The cage is not perfectly flat either originally, so just making it flat may not do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom