Raceface Turbine or Fox Transfer dropper

I can only speak about the Fox Transfer currently on my Pivot T429. On another bike I've used a Thomson and PNW. Of the 3, the PNW has just flat out worked every time. It was purchased to be a stand-in/backup for the Thomson that started having drooping issues. The PNW is still on the bike and the Thomson is still in the box.

As for the Fox, it does tend to stick down occasionally if it's been sitting for awhile. Hasn't happened during a ride, yet. Probably should put the Thomson on and have the Fox check out. Other than that, it works as advertised.

PNW are acceptable, the action isn't particularly smooth and they seem to need a lot of maintenance, however you can do it yourself, however I personally had issues getting the service parts which looks like it is resolved now.

Fox transfer is smooth as butter but you need a ton of tools and a nitrogen charger to maintain them. Service is $100-$140, which is annual for me. That being said, I can back to a transfer after trying PNW for 18 months

Last edited:
After all these years I'm surprised that companies still come out with garbage posts which stick. They aren't very complex and only need to go up or down. I've had luck with 9point8, OneUp, and even a Command. The latter is a backup for obvious reasons. I'm replacing a Thomson which continues to stick soon after a rebuild. PNW Loam seems to be a popular choice and priced right.

After all these years I'm surprised that companies still come out with garbage posts which stick. They aren't very complex and only need to go up or down. I've had luck with 9point8, OneUp, and even a Command. The latter is a backup for obvious reasons. I'm replacing a Thomson which continues to stick soon after a rebuild. PNW Loam seems to be a popular choice and priced right.
In my experience, the transfer "stick" happens after 100 hours, which is the recommended service interval. One plus of having it serviced by fox is that they will update small parts, where a 3rd party would charge you.

Last edited:
I absolutely hate my Transfer. Sticks an inch low each time, literally from new. And the lbs couldn’t fix it either, nor is it warrantied. Now the cheaper KS Lev has worked great.

I have the PNW on my Tallboy and Transfer on my Switchblade. The Transfer was rebuilt last year by Erik at Gearwork and has worked flawlessly since. The PNW is new, it does come up smoother then the Transfer which snaps up hard after the rebuild. Tough choice, I'd say both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited:
I absolutely hate my Transfer. Sticks an inch low each time, literally from new. And the lbs couldn’t fix it either, nor is it warrantied. Now the cheaper KS Lev has worked great.
Did you send it back to fox?

Fox is like buying a Maserati.

Works great and then you need to send it in for $$ service and you're out of a vehicle while it's in the shop.

Fox is like buying a Maserati.

Works great and then you need to send it in for $$ service and you're out of a vehicle while it's in the shop.
I have to back this, based on my own experiences. They work great, until they don’t, and the lack of user serviceability is a significant negative.

I’ve used 3 Transfers, and all of them developed the same problem of not returning to full extension after a season (or less, in one case) of use.

I’ve since jumped to the Wolftooth Resolve, as mentioned in another thread.

For whatever it's worth, the Bike Yoke dropper that came with my Spot is still working after 4 years of use/abuse. Only maintenance has been replacing the cable once a couple of years ago when it snapped at Kingdom trails. Replaced the cable myself outside the shop (since they apparently didn't want my money...).

For whatever it's worth, the Bike Yoke dropper that came with my Spot is still working after 4 years of use/abuse. Only maintenance has been replacing the cable once a couple of years ago when it snapped at Kingdom trails. Replaced the cable myself outside the shop (since they apparently didn't want my money...).
Very happy with the Bike Yoke that came with my bike. It's user serviceable but I haven't gotten that far yet as it's worked flawlessly.

New OneUp V3 has been good but still new so….
I’ve had good luck with bike yoke too.

You knew this was coming but, the AXS is the most reliable dropper I’ve had. They’re heavy and $, but I love mine.

One thing to consider is fox has been blowing out the transfers for a new model. $130 shipped for the factory.

Reactions: w_b
One thing to consider is fox has been blowing out the transfers for a new model. $130 shipped for the factory.
This is my strategy. I have one fox transfer factory, another as a spare for $130, and another Race Face (which is also a transfer) for $109. Three mtbs and I already totally wore the anodizing off a Trans X, so these will come in handy.

This happens to me a lot. I’m constantly needing to put a coating of slickoleom on the telescoping post.

Iv had one up (v2) posts for about 4 years now and they have been pretty damn good. Rebuild kits are reasonable amd very disable. And replacement parts are also reasonable should hlthey become necessary. I have 3 of them at this point.

Back
Top Bottom