Quick question about Fat Bike Tubes

huffster

I am running tubes on my fat-bike. I may convert at some point, but I have read that my wheels aren't real conducive. Anyway, I have been carrying around a 300+ gram fat-bike tube when I ride this bike. Its heavy and bulky and forces me to wear the Camelbak - which I have been trying to get away from.

I think I have heard folks using a DH tube as a trail spare.

True? If so, brand/size recommendations please.

Other options?

Thanks in advance.

Only issue is some of the non-fat tubes stretch the tires and make them narrower, this can create issue when seating the tire tubeless.

You can run a downhill tube on a 4" tire w/out any real complications... If it's a 5" tire, the area near the valve gets all wonky and weak.

2c.

@Johnny Utah Not really worried that this tire might be effected for a later tubeless conversion. If I go tubeless it will happen at the same time as a fresh set of tires. I am mainly looking for a more compact "trail fix". I would put a full size tube in at home.
@Juggernaut It is a 4.8" tire. "wonky and weak"...is that if I run it long term or can I run it for a couple hours to get out of the woods?
@Kaleidopete I may resort to something like that. Damn thing is still huge for under the seat.

@Johnny Utah Not really worried that this tire might be effected for a later tubeless conversion. If I go tubeless it will happen at the same time as a fresh set of tires. I am mainly looking for a more compact "trail fix". I would put a full size tube in at home.
@Juggernaut It is a 4.8" tire. "wonky and weak"...is that if I run it long term or can I run it for a couple hours to get out of the woods?
@Kaleidopete I may resort to something like that. Damn thing is still huge for under the seat.
If you were close to the end of the ride you'd probably be ok, but if it's like more than 40 min to the car, you're running a risk and a patch would never hold on the hyper stretched tube.

I am running tubes on my fat-bike. I may convert at some point, but I have read that my wheels aren't real conducive. Anyway, I have been carrying around a 300+ gram fat-bike tube when I ride this bike. Its heavy and bulky and forces me to wear the Camelbak - which I have been trying to get away from.

I think I have heard folks using a DH tube as a trail spare.

True? If so, brand/size recommendations please.

Other options?

Thanks in advance.
Get some type of frame or top tube bag. Should be able to stash at least a tube, and avoid needing the camelbak. I know @Johnny Utah uses a frame bag as do I on the fat bike. Frame size is a limiting factor in terms of capacity, but for just a tube a revelate jerrycan will do.

Haven't trusted the idea of downhill tubes. Running tubeless, but still carry 1-2 fat tubes in the frame bag along with a water bottle or 2 and other odds and ends.

This is the monstrosity I am carrying. Its listed as 4.00, so I figured I'd be stretching it a bit to the 4.8 tire. It's 458 grams. A friggin' pound for a tube. I rolled it up tight and it may fit snuggly under seat (barely) if I'm stuck with it. Or the Jerry Can is a decent option.
$_57.JPG

Last edited:
image.jpg
That is a big boy, but like @moray42 stated, I use a frame bag to stow my gear and swore off the camelback, especially on 30+ mile rides. When I am really limited on space, I zip tie one to my seat rails, but always carry a full size surly tube when I am further than 3 miles from the car. My wheels are tubeless and I usually add fluid every month or two and re-tape ever four or five months, unless I swap tires.

@mattybfat and @ebineezer and others, I'm sure tubeless is inevitable on this bike. I've gone there with all my other MTBs and I'm a fan. I just need to take the plunge with the ghetto set-up. More significantly, is the expense of a fresh set of tires when that happens. Even tubeless, I wouldn't chance riding without a tube. With a 4.8" tire, I think I need something burly like I have. I can't imagine that Q-tube stretching to twice its intended size for very long. So, I think the Jerrycan or tying it under the seat, will be my plan. Getting all the weight off my back has been kind of "liberating". My back feels better and I feel more agile without it.

Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom