Question for those familiar w/ Stephens near Station Road

engeler1

Hi, this is a strange question…directed at those who are familiar with Stephens near Station Road. I have a friend who owns a house backing up to near Stephens, west of station road.

Somebody owns a “landlocked” parcel of land butting up against Stephens. It’s currently all nice woods. The guy wants to build a house on the land, but needs a driveway to access the land. He’s proposing building a narrow driveway on a “two track” road from Cheri road back into his landlocked land.
My friend has several old surveys showing that this Two Track was actually a road once upon a time. If it’s an old road then the guy would have no right to turn it into a driveway and couldn’t build back there. Several old surveys support the old road idea.

The guy who wants to build has several other old surveys that do not show an old road.

I’m looking for further evidence that there must have been an old road. I know that at the White Trail, right where it intersects with blue trail (on the eastern side) there’s an old standing chimney and house foundation. There appears to also be a stone wall heading east for at least 1/6 of mile from that house foundation.

I think it’s common sense that if there’s an old house out there, there must have been a road to access that house, and this would support the road idea in court.

My question is, is there anything else out in those woods that you’re aware of that supports a road needing to be there to have the stuff built? For example, I’ve heard there’s some sort of “old monuments” out there too, but don’t know where they are.

If you’re aware of something, would you please let me know and perhaps describe how to get there?

Thanks for any help,

Eric

There used to be a road that connected the ranger station to Stephens Park road or Janice Drive, cant really remember. We use to take it as kids, they closed it down in 89-90?

There used to be a road that connected the ranger station to Stephens Park road or Janice Drive, cant really remember. We use to take it as kids, they closed it down in 89-90?
Thanks JDgang,

Do you mean the road connected to the Ranger Station down the mountain that is accessable off Willow Grove Road? Or is there a second Ranger Station somewhere?

yes that one....it was a unmaintained road. When we first got our DL back in 87 you could take a camaro down it very slowly...a couple of years later only 4x4's and then they closed it.

If its the large parcle in the center he's got no chance in hell. He was offered a large sum at one time, might even been the previous owner and balked. Chances are he will never get anything from the state. Station rd. lot ends at parking area balloon on the wiki page. No connection to budd lake heights either. Firetower rd also ends way further then the wiki page shows. If you notice any of the houses along waterloo rd. are all on lease once your gone so is the house. State will own the parcel before any house gets built I promise you that.

If its the large parcle in the center he's got no chance in hell. He was offered a large sum at one time, might even been the previous owner and balked. Chances are he will never get anything from the state. Station rd. lot ends at parking area balloon on the wiki page. No connection to budd lake heights either. Firetower rd also ends way further then the wiki page shows. If you notice any of the houses along waterloo rd. are all on lease once your gone so is the house. State will own the parcel before any house gets built I promise you that.

I don't think it's actually the large square in the middle of Stephens. Attached are two files. One showing the trail map in the area in question and the second showing google maps which shows the plots of land.

If you look on the Google Map attachment, it's the triangle land "behind" all the houses along Cheri Road.

The guy's trying to build a driveway to access the land. The spot where he wants to build the driveway on some old surveys shows a roadway. If there was a road there, he can't build a driveway on it.

That's why in the this region, if anyone's aware of other "stuff" besides the chimney / house remnants I found at the White / eastern Blue intersection I'd appreciate knowing it.

Where there's houses / monuments etc. provides further evidence that a road was once there and the guy can't put a drive way on it then.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• trail map of area.jpg
    trail map of area.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 260
  • google map showing plot in question.jpg
    google map showing plot in question.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 275

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions