Quarry Park

stilluf

Much thanks for your advocacy and effort! The MTB haters seem to be everywhere, but so are the MTB supporters.

Yes, thank you for your effort! I didn't realize that mountain biking was so opposed in Bald Pate. I almost never see anyone (horses, hikers, fellow mountain bikers) in there when I go thru there. I usually encounter more people in the Water Co.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Who cares about that, there's rocks to climb?
Yes, 100' quarry walls. I helped make the connection for Adam and Sonia for a rock climber user group meeting. That being said, I wasn't paying attention to see if they included it in the draft plan but the rock climbing user group came out strong in the survey.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Yes, thank you for your effort! I didn't realize that mountain biking was so opposed in Bald Pate. I almost never see anyone (horses, hikers, fellow mountain bikers) in there when I go thru there. I usually encounter more people in the Water Co.
Yeah, Friends of Hopewell Valley, who have an office in the mansion at Baldpate, pretty much hate everything about mountain bikes and won't even return call if they know you mtb. While they do great things for sustainable environmental parks, they pretty much do nothing to build or maintain sustainable trails. I have made progress with the mercer stewards to strengthen the relationship with the mtb community over the last 3-4 years and it is starting to pay off.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Below is the master plan presentation
Draft Master Plan Presentation:

And the survey for commenting. Comment are open for 2 months. Consider entering a comment similar to this:

Thank you for responding to the bike user group with including a bike park in the draft plan! I think the bike park addresses the needs of the users and can cater to all skill levels.

I am hopeful that the multi-use paths will be suitable for bikes and that the connector trails to Baldpate will allow bikes as well.

MtTrailz

Thanks @stb222 for posting the details. Looks promising for MTB riding and skills. Do I read the map correctly that they are planning on redoing the Yellow Trail? I really like running that trail, yet not something I'd want to try on my bike. Makes me sad if true. Definitely want to keep MTB riding in Bald Pate. Is there any survey we can access for that?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Thanks @stb222 for posting the details. Looks promising for MTB riding and skills. Do I read the map correctly that they are planning on redoing the Yellow Trail? I really like running that trail, yet not something I'd want to try on my bike. Makes me sad if true. Definitely want to keep MTB riding in Bald Pate. Is there any survey we can access for that?
I think they want to retain it but not sure. Originally they wanted to connect to it but apparently it is some sensitive habitat.

For baldpate access, please email:

Anthony Cucchi: Mercer County Superintendent of Parks
acucchi@mercercounty.org

Alex Riveria: Baldpate Trail Steward
arivera@mercercounty.org

Jenn Rogers: County Naturalist
jrogers@mercercounty.org

Big Al

Below is the master plan presentation
Draft Master Plan Presentation:

And the survey for commenting. Comment are open for 2 months. Consider entering a comment similar to this:

Thank you for responding to the bike user group with including a bike park in the draft plan! I think the bike park addresses the needs of the users and can cater to all skill levels.

I am hopeful that the multi-use paths will be suitable for bikes and that the connector trails to Baldpate will allow bikes as well.

Done

ekuhn

Saw this on my FB page as an ad that it was approved.

Great stuff. Now hopefully the timeline is real.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Was thinking of this the other day - anything ever come of the proposed site?
I have seen some of the pictures Mercer County has been posting on IG (actually may have been one of stewardship team) and got me thinking too.

So they are starting some of the clearing, but I believe the schedule for just prepping the site to do any improvements is at least 2 years and after that, obviously a bike park(ish), isn't going to be the first thing to be worked on.

Like any master plan, it was a big deal to get bike things in the plan, however, the master plan may never be executed. One of my main goals working with the park is to maintain access to Baldpate proper. There is a line of thought that adding bike facilities to the quarry area would satisfy the needs of the cycling community and access to Baldpate would be removed for bikes. This is obviously not what we want, so working with the park for the trails is a must.

One things that has changed significantly since working with the consultants doing the master plan is the number of bike parks that have popped up or are planned in our region. The consultants has worked with Dirt Sculpt for the pumped track at Camp Edge, so the concept was not foreign to them. And now we have more jumps added to High Bridge Flow Trails, Trexler (also dirt scuplt), the bike park in Skippack (dirt sculpt too!), the one in Twinining Valley (very small / in progress) and some others that are close. Those example are great to work with Mercer to make this happen.

Top Bottom