Potential DWG Proposal: Needs Attention.

mtn

So most of you won't be affected by this, but some will. I just learned about this today after passing a bunch of 'No National Park' signs on my route to my house.

Apparently the government, along with the Sierra Club, will once again push to change the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area into a National Park. What that would mean is goodbye hunting, allowing for overpopulation of deer (as 9 walk through my backyard) and ticks, most likely goodbye fishing, and goodbye any chance of having mountain biking trails. What we will most likely get are fees, if the designation does indeed change.
Now I do not know how truthful this is, but there is some speculation that Stokes, Worthington, the Flatbrook WMA, and possibly High Point would be absorbed into the National Park, freeing NJ of them.

So again, one can only speculate what will happen, but it's not looking too good as details are sparse and things are being restricted each year as it is already.

Best thing will be to share input before the proposed bill is released.

Designations: https://www.everycrsreport.com/repo...H-t2YfydaFjR-bSi_Rn_F_NYZNcfizMG_Uagpmqfs#fn6

FB Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/632055634520469

Last edited:

Over the Bars

Yep it's crap and the Sierra club is pushing hard they have alot of support in the government and are trying to make this happen any way possible

rlb

I don't think these things can happen without a public notice and public comment period. Point being, there should be something publicly available to read which contains all of the details.

Over the Bars

The Sierra club is trying to push thia along through an appropriations bill

this is a from their website
the 10 years since the NJ Chapter first spearheaded this effort, the political landscape has changed. The U.S. congressional representative for the New Jersey section of the park is currently Josh Gottheimer, who fully supports national park designation. At the same time, we’re aware that the current favorable climate in Congress is tenuous. We are working to get this legislation passed in the current session.

Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area already meets all criteria to become a National Park and Preserve and has been a park unit for over 55 years. Congress only needs to re-designate the park and create the boundary. The change could happen as simply as with the attachment of a rider to an appropriations bill.

I don't think these things can happen without a public notice and public comment period. Point being, there should be something publicly available to read which contains all of the details.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
There is no ban on hunting in national parks esp if population management is necessary.

That being said, I wish they'd leave it to the locals to admin.

Last edited:

mtn

Only o
They is no ban on hunting in national parks esp if population management is necessary.

That being said, I wish they'd leave it to the locals to admin
There is no doubt that it will try to get passed through sneakily. There is a member on here that may have some more insight, but not sure if he'll want to speak out.

Last edited:

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
And the fact that they say there are 4 million visitors per year is just ridiculous. Only reason is because of the commuters!
There's no way. Acadia had 4 Million last year. If anyone has ever been there, you know what that looks like. I can't see the benefit of this.

mtn

I suggest anyone who has interests in the DWG sign up to attend the Zoom meeting.

mtn

Complete waste of time. Zero details on what they are proposing and a ton of "We don't see why there would" beginnings to sentences. So, in short, nobody knows what the proposal holds. Literally could be saying goodbye to biking and horseback riding.

JPark

The Sierra club is trying to push thia along through an appropriations bill

this is a from their website
the 10 years since the NJ Chapter first spearheaded this effort, the political landscape has changed. The U.S. congressional representative for the New Jersey section of the park is currently Josh Gottheimer, who fully supports national park designation. At the same time, we’re aware that the current favorable climate in Congress is tenuous. We are working to get this legislation passed in the current session.

Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area already meets all criteria to become a National Park and Preserve and has been a park unit for over 55 years. Congress only needs to re-designate the park and create the boundary. The change could happen as simply as with the attachment of a rider to an appropriations bill.
Can the Federal government seize state land against their will without compensation? Or does the state want this to happen which makes me suspicious because governments of any size don't like losing control over anything.

Maybe the Sierra Club could do something useful like getting unprotected land preserved or catching polluters instead of reclassifying an existing park to another type of park.

Top Bottom