Post your Cat =^..^=

Last night just before 4:00.

Cat takes the higher ground. Probably outweighs the fox by quite a bit.
They reach an agreement rather quickly.

We have a fox who visits my one cat fairly regularly. Our cats are both indoor cats, but they used to be outdoor before we got them. Pauly has completely forgotten about that life because he lives like a king now, but Oscar "patrols" the window sills every night. We've always had foxes, deer, groundhogs, even the occasional coyote running around outside so he has a lot to watch. The deer and the fox intermittently live in a thick bamboo patch at the back corner of our property. But lately, the current "resident" of that patch is a small red and gray fox that seems to have taken an interest in Oscar. Whenever Oscar sits on the windowsill in our den, he shows up and just sits there and they just stare at each other for hours. I saw Oscar sitting there staring intently one night and I went to look and there he was just two feet below the window sitting there. I tried to grab my phone to take a picture but the movement spooked him and he took off. But after the snowfall two weeks ago, he was apparently coming back for more visits. The photos below are the imprints he left from sitting there and watching Oscar - both of the photos are in the same spot a couple of days apart, and they appear to be his front paws and his butt imprints in the snow. I don't interrupt them anymore, but almost every night around 9 or so, Oscar runs into that room and hops up on the windowsill and stares at that same spot for an hour or more and I know his "buddy" is out there because I occasionally hear him let out a howl like the one in your video. (I keep thinking that if the fox is thinking he'd eat Oscar, he's kidding himself - Oscar is easily bigger than he is and he's one of the strongest, fastest cats we've ever had.)

fox1.jpg

fox2.jpg

Someone left the basement door open and Melody never misses a chance to sneak down here and jump up because the space heater is on under my desk since it’s always 20F colder down here.

She misses my time working in the bedroom where she used to use my laptop as a warming station.

1BD1E7AA-BD71-4343-A0AA-547B0D1DC223.jpeg

Pauly Pawsby has had a bit of a rough go lately. He's had a few health issues with the most recent one being a possible tumor on his spine. Last week he was howling whenever we picked him up and he was very wobbly on his legs. A few trips back and forth to the vet and he's now on two drugs - an opioid for the pain and an inti-inflammatory for the back. The treatments seem to be working for him right now - he's moving about fine (a little shaky when he first stands up but he's able to hop on and off the couch and go up and down stairs just fine now) and no crying out when we pick him up. Of course, this is just a band aid since we aren't going to put him through a surgery at his age (he's 14, diabetic and has bad kidneys, so surgery is just as likely to kill him as anything else.) We both agreed that it's more important for him to be happy and comfortable for as long as possible than to risk having him die from complications of surgery while miserable with a cone around his neck . I think he's getting annoyed with how much we try to do for him - but for some things, he's very happy to have us do everything for him all the time now. The picture below shows how Pauly prefers to drink now. Since he was uncomfortable bending down to drink, he now regularly wants me to hold a Dixie cup of water for him while he drinks. He also likes to eat directly from my hand while sitting on the couch. Both of which I accomodate. About six times a day each ... and I hope I have to do this for the next five years.

PP.jpg

We both agreed that it's more important for him to be happy and comfortable for as long as possible than to risk having him die from complications of surgery while miserable with a cone around his neck

Best of luck. I've typed out a few things and keep deleting them. We lost our dog almost four years ago and aren't over it yet. Enjoy all the time you have left, hopefully it's more than you think.

Pauly Pawsby has had a bit of a rough go lately. He's had a few health issues with the most recent one being a possible tumor on his spine. Last week he was howling whenever we picked him up and he was very wobbly on his legs. A few trips back and forth to the vet and he's now on two drugs - an opioid for the pain and an inti-inflammatory for the back. The treatments seem to be working for him right now - he's moving about fine (a little shaky when he first stands up but he's able to hop on and off the couch and go up and down stairs just fine now) and no crying out when we pick him up. Of course, this is just a band aid since we aren't going to put him through a surgery at his age (he's 14, diabetic and has bad kidneys, so surgery is just as likely to kill him as anything else.) We both agreed that it's more important for him to be happy and comfortable for as long as possible than to risk having him die from complications of surgery while miserable with a cone around his neck . I think he's getting annoyed with how much we try to do for him - but for some things, he's very happy to have us do everything for him all the time now. The picture below shows how Pauly prefers to drink now. Since he was uncomfortable bending down to drink, he now regularly wants me to hold a Dixie cup of water for him while he drinks. He also likes to eat directly from my hand while sitting on the couch. Both of which I accomodate. About six times a day each ... and I hope I have to do this for the next five years.

View attachment 181933
Is he an indoor cat? Our beloved Bubba had unmanageable diabetes and became increasingly miserable, to the point that we agreed with the vet to put him down. The very same day he was scheduled to go, we let him out of the house on his own for the first time and he seemed to improve immediately. Needless to say we cancelled the procedure and let him out every time he wanted to (he would just got to the front door and start meowing). Unfortunately it only lasted a few months as he eventually further deteriorated, but we're still grateful for the additional tie we had with him. I miss him every day.

Is he an indoor cat? Our beloved Bubba had unmanageable diabetes and became increasingly miserable, to the point that we agreed with the vet to put him down. The very same day he was scheduled to go, we let him out of the house on his own for the first time and he seemed to improve immediately. Needless to say we cancelled the procedure and let him out every time he wanted to (he would just got to the front door and start meowing). Unfortunately it only lasted a few months as he eventually further deteriorated, but we're still grateful for the additional tie we had with him. I miss him every day.
He is an indoor cat now, although before we got them both he and his brother were apparrently outdoor cats in South Philly (which makes me cringe whenever I think about it - that's not a good area to let animals roam around: traffic is just insane down there.) But he's expressed no interest in going outside (and his brother is terrified of any door opening ... or closing ... or just sitting ... basically, Oscar, that furry moron, is scared of doors.) And we wouldn't do that in our area anyway. We've got a lot of wildlife around our area and some of them would look at him like a snack (we get coyotes from up near Green Lane throughout the winter and spring and if they're this far south of there, it means they're desparately hungry.)

Luckily, he's been really good all week. He sleeps more than he used to (which means still quite a bit less than his brother - I swear Oscar sleeps 23 hours a day sometimes - you know, when he isn't panicking over anything that moves ... or anything that doesn't move. He's actually an incredibly clever cat who just so happens to also be a moron.) But the last two days, Pauly's been meowing at me to get him things like I'm his personal butler again. Like just this morning, he got annoyed that I was on a phone call instead of giving him a belly scratch so he started smacking at my leg to hang up and follow him to what he's apparently decided is his "belly scratch room" (my wife's office.) That's a very typical Pauly thing to do - as soon as he starts being a self-important asshole, I know everything is good in Pauly's world. So for the time being, we're really happy with how he is doing. If he stays this way for however much longer he has, I'll be very happy.

Back
Top Bottom