Post your beater, commuter, ect...

Trash Bike

Here is my newest project, it's an old steel Vista that I rescued from the recycling center. Converted it to single speed by cutting off the large chainring, then took all the gears off the old suntour hub and re-installed only the 17 tooth. Not as clean as using a BMX freewheel, but it didn't cost me anything, and I didn't have to re-space and re-dish the rear wheel.

I was only messing with this while I was waiting for some parts to come in for my commuter/CX bike, but I took it out today for a 30 mile ride and had a blast.

Total cost $0 and some time. I guess it worked well enough that I'll splurge and buy some bar tape. :D

I think I'll get rid of it soon, as it's really too big for me, but I see the appeal of the SS now.

Tim

Attachments

• Trash Bikes 001 Small.jpg
    Trash Bikes 001 Small.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Trash Bikes 002 Small.jpg
    Trash Bikes 002 Small.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 23
  • Trash Bikes 003 small.jpg
    Trash Bikes 003 small.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 24
This is the bike I commute on. This is also my road bike, my CX race bike, my "beater", it's been my mountain bike, and has even been my "etc."

n1291834825_175340_3010.jpg

-Jim.

Get that junk out of here Jim!

Then change the title from commuter/beater to just beater!! Also, not to step out of bounds here, but I think my Seven may be the only bike posted in this thread that actually gets ridden. So far in 2009, it's got 665 miles on it;)

-Jim.

Trash Bike - Update

An added bonus on some of these older beaters is that the Dia-Comp calipers have enough clearance for cross tires. :D Here is the updated shot of the Trash Bike with Cross tires and rear fender:

Not light enough for a real cross bike but fun for the rail trail and fire roads.

An ironic note, since I switched to the 700c wheels to put the cross tires on, I used a Chris King rear sprocket that I had laying around, I'm sure it's worth more than whole bike! :rofl:

Tim

Attachments

• Trash Bike Cross 001.jpg
    Trash Bike Cross 001.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Trash Bike Cross 002.jpg
    Trash Bike Cross 002.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 28
An added bonus on some of these older beaters is that the Dia-Comp calipers have enough clearance for cross tires. :D Here is the updated shot of the Trash Bike with Cross tires and rear fender:

Not light enough for a real cross bike but fun for the rail trail and fire roads.

An ironic note, since I switched to the 700c wheels to put the cross tires on, I used a Chris King rear sprocket that I had laying around, I'm sure it's worth more than whole bike! :rofl:

Tim

nice, check that chain tension, man!

nice, check that chain tension, man!

Yeah, I noticed that too when I was looking at the pics. The old chainrings kind of have this "Biopace" thing going on that I haven't had the time to fix.:D

I'll tighten it up if I'm going out by myself, and not just crusing with the kids.

Tim

Old but still FUN!!!!! Ride it to work everyday.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Picture 061.jpg
    Picture 061.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Picture 062.jpg
    Picture 062.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 31
Back
Top Bottom