Poor cable routing leading to excessive brakeset wear

Smith

I have a BMC SLT01 with internal cable routing. The rear brake in particular has really poor cable routing. The cable is required to navigate a path that leads to quite a bit of cable friction. Not only does this make cable replacement a pain, but it also makes it necessary to increase the spring tension (by quite a bit) on the return spring (on the brake) to get the calipers to snap back open after the brake lever has been released. I have gone through two rear SRAM Force brakes on this bike in ~ 3 years, it seems that the bushings wear out pretty quickly.

So I have three questions:
1) Is this something others with internally routed cables have encountered?
2) Is there a brakeset that would be more durable/better suited for this sort of situation?
3) Has anyone drilled their frame (carbon fiber) to improve cable line, or to run full length housing? (I am obviously hesitant to do this).

Thanks!

IME sram brakes feel like poop not Lon after you set them up. I found this to be the case with both force and red. I was going to try the new red until I read similar things. I have no tried the small high end brands and have found shimanos brakes to be exceptional. Ultegra or dura ace. The are heavy in comparison to their competition but worth it.

You can also try Yokozuna brakes cables with are comprssionless. However, the are super think and you may have trouble with the furrels fitting in the cable stops.

You should try something ghetto.... full length housing and zip tie the housing to the top tube, to 100% say it's too much friction

Personally don't like internally routed cabling. Makes for a clean look, and some aerodynamics... but maintenance doesn't seem fun

Last edited:
You should try something ghetto.... full length housing and zip tie the housing to the top tube, to 100% say it's too much friction

The thought has crossed my mind... I know it's friction though, whenever I replace the cable there is a "S"-kink along a section of the cable that was inside the top tube.

Personally don't like internally routed cabling. Makes for a clean look, and some aerodynamics... but maintenance doesn't seem fun

I don't think I'd ever get another bike with internally routed cables. But I like the bike I've got now, so I'm just trying to decide if I want to replace my rear brake with another brand or just get another Force brake. I'm happy with the feel of the front brake so I think they'd be fine if there was decent cable routing.

I'm on an original Force groupset from 2008 (I think), no problems. Certainly sounds like something is funky if the calipers are only lasting that long.

I've never seen calipers wear out in months. What is wearing and who is determining that it is worn? I can't imagine how cable routing would cause this issue unless it is so bad that you can't even slide the cable through the housing. Take it to a different shop for a second opinion. We unfortunately all deal with internal routing on a daily basis.

I've never seen calipers wear out in months. What is wearing and who is determining that it is worn? I can't imagine how cable routing would cause this issue unless it is so bad that you can't even slide the cable through the housing.

I was the one who deemed the bushings shot on the last set of calipers. With respect to the set I've got now, I've got to, sheepishly, admit that taking them off the bike and giving them a very thorough cleaning and lubing last night had them feeling much better on my ride this morning.

Take it to a different shop for a second opinion.

If I have any additional issues, I'll swing by your shop. I recently moved from Piscataway to Hamilton, and I now pass your shop my drive to/from work. I've been meaning to stop in anyhow.

We unfortunately all deal with internal routing on a daily basis.

I'm sure it's a source of constant frustration!

Back
Top Bottom