Painting frame

jerzey111

Hey guys, im thinking about having my frame painted. Any good places you would recommend?? im in north nj. thanks

Its not very hard to do yourself, a fun DIY project. Stop by your local auto body supply place and get the supplies. I would think that a pint or two is more than enough. I do some auto painting, but ive never done a bike, yet. PM me if you need any tips/info.

Are you looking for a paint shop or powdercoat? If you ask around to shops that repair car wheels they probably can do a bike frame.

I would love to do a project like this myself but I'd notice EVERY little defect, every speck of dust that I painted over.

Its not very hard to do yourself, a fun DIY project. Stop by your local auto body supply place and get the supplies. I would think that a pint or two is more than enough. I do some auto painting, but ive never done a bike, yet. PM me if you need any tips/info.

Over the winter Tommy and I painted my 1986 Allez "recue bike" OK, actually we did it twice! There is no way I would EVER paint a bike frame again. FWIW leave the painting to the pros

RC ... :mad:

Beats anyoone hands down!

I used Autobody contours http://autobodycontours.com/ in Belford NJ. Hands down the best all around beats any one in the bike magazines, and its in NJ. Ask anyone that has seen my bike its the bomb!...

Powder coated midnight blue with fine silver and gold falkes am talking tiny flakes, in the sunlight it shines sweet.

sanded the bike
3 coats of Dupont midnight blue powder coat
3 coats of clear..

charged me around $125.00+- and guarnteed it not to chip..if it chips they fix..

thanks
Mike

Attachments

• downsized_0815091252.jpg
    downsized_0815091252.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 145
  • 0815091253.jpg
    0815091253.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
2nd on Auto Body Contours. I've had a ton of stuff powder'd by them over the years. At least 6 bicycle frames, a ton of parts and a bunch of auto parts. I'll be sending a few parts for the Defender there soon for some semi-gloss goodness.

I know you said Northern NJ, but if you feel like traveling, Martin @ Liquid Powdercoats in Yardley PA does good work. I got the homie hookup and he put radiation in my paint. Makes my dookie twinkle.

17845_288626278214_501378214_3364420_8335841_n.jpg

Thanks guys. All info much appreciated. I tried some painting in the past but it didn't come out too good. I'll look into the places u mentioned. I'll sand and prep the frame and drop it off so hopefully itnwill be around 100.

I know you said Northern NJ, but if you feel like traveling, Martin @ Liquid Powdercoats in Yardley PA does good work. I got the homie hookup and he put radiation in my paint. Makes my dookie twinkle.

17845_288626278214_501378214_3364420_8335841_n.jpg

Yeah, your bike looked REALLY NICE at JORBAFest... I may have to check out Martin for an upcoming job.

Then there's also the Color Factory (Bruce Risley in Waretown, near Tom's River). He paints for lots of bike shops around the country. I've had 3 bikes painted by Bruce... He uses DuPont Imron paint, and to prep he bead-blasts and applies an epoxy-primer. A recent 2-tone paint job with clear-coat and decal application ran about $200. He does REALLY nice work. Here are photos of the bikes:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16461051@N04/sets/72157623574409014/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16461051@N04/sets/72157607969345534/

BB

Really? :hmmm:

Giant, for one.

At Jorbafest 1 I chewed the fat with one of the Giant reps for like 20 minutes on this subject. From what I understand, the reason is that even though you or I might have the frame sandblasted and have a professional auto body/powdercoated do the refinishing, they have to lay down blanket rules in case some chump goes at the factory paint with some abrasive chemical or a grinder or something which might compromise the integrity of any of the welds or tubes. Basically, it's one of those silly one-in-a-million, lowest-common-denominator rules in case the frame cracks or anything so they can discount any user tampering.

I would LOOOOOOVE to paint my Reign something heinous, but Murphy's Law always applies and I am sure I'd snap the rear swingarm right afterwards or something.

I would check the manufacturer's website, or ask a LBS dealer for the skinny.

Back
Top Bottom