Orange Trail

bozizle

Has anyone done the orange trail? My wife and I are maping out a 30 mile loop for this weekend and have never been and wondered how it was.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
bo -

Where is it? :confused:
I've never followed any color markings; if you can give me the trail name or tell me where it is maybe I can help you out.
Many of the major trails have been recently blazed.

bozizle

hmmmm

Right...I forgot I was refering to the color on the maps I have from Town Cycle...all I know is it would be a big out side loop returning you back to the entrance of the park from the warwick side I believe and looking at the map looks like the longest stretch of trail in the park...I will be checking it out Saturday:hmmm:

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
You're probably talking about the Hoeferlin trail. Check with Mike at Town; he knows the park well and could set you up with a good route.

Panhead

Bo-
If you're looking at the West side of the lake the orange trail that goes form Cherry Ridge rd to the rear gate of the park is pump house trail. Bad news is thats a hiking trail only. Nice single track until you get to the end by the gate, then its hike a bike.
Dave

bozizle

Thanks

I spoke with Mike for a bit at Town Cycle and he explained the same rideable and the end is hike a bike.

BlackBean

The ORANGE trail is called SITTING BEAR. It basically is a loop just off the Yellow trail (Laurel Pond Trail) that starts by the old iron foundry. The best way to do it is to go up yellow and once you reach the top (there'll be a big boulder on the LEFT as you get to the top) with a single-track trail entrance (I think it's marked in red) on the RIGHT. Go up that and then down on the other side - short and steep climb with a nice steep and rocky descent. Follow the trail out until it turns into double-track. Follow that for about half a mile and then take the first left. This is the start of Orange (Sitting Bear). It will eventually loop back to the Laurel Pond Trail. I think it's about 2 miles long and moderately technical. In some some spots it gets a little more dificult, but nothing that a rider with good tech experience can't handle. Not for beginners or intermediate riders though. You can also climb up Laurel Pond trail, go past the first right at the top, continue to the bottom and then take the right (where you would exit if you follow the first set of instructions) and do it in the opposite direction. This way is just as exciting. However, you want to avoid the climb back up to Laurel Pond at the end. Instead, stay LEFT and it will drop you out by the big lake (Wawayanda Lake?). From there it's about half a mile to the boat launch parking lot. You can also ENTER Sitting Bear this way instead of doing the climb up Laurel Pond trail. But then you miss out on the nice techy descent

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions