Old Croton Aqueduct Trail 2016

Danny Encarnacion

Great trail and afterwards had a cold one at my favorite watering hole The Bridgeview Tavern.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 206
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 204
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 207
Post up a start point on this. Looks cool.
I found this ride on the app All Trails. Then I used Waze for the address. It turned out the start point was in a school parking lot across the street from one of the trails openings. It's labeled OCA. Tarrytown / Sleepy Hollow NY is an amazing place to visit.
I highly recommend a trip there if you've never been.
Hope this helps.

Can start right at the Croton Dam. Ride south thru Ossining all the way to Dobbs Ferry and beyond. Trail gets a little hard to follow around there as it goes (legally) right thru people's backyards (!). At Ossining, one can explore the no longer used aqueduct tunnels. Used to be a guide on hand there that would also give the history of the construction.

aqueduct trail is cool for the historical perspective and the varied areas is goes thru, but its not something im into hitting often

its broken up by a lot of street crossings and weird stuff like the afformentioned backyards and weedspots, there can be a lot of glass sometimes which noone likes

last time i was there was on NYE - https://www.strava.com/activities/460363032

roughly from mile 32.5-52.5 is the trail, as @Mildly Wild mentioned it does continue to the dam but we hit a deadend at a highway crossing with a concrete divider, so we went elsewhere

Hmm ok. I've been to Sleepy Hollow and Tarrytown, but never with my bike. I'd like to check out the aqueduct.

What's a viaduct? I should know my Latin word roots...

If this is where I am thinking it to be, there is a way around where one uses the road for a short stretch, then thru an underpass under the highway to continue down the trail.

sign read "<-- continue around GE station" and the arrow led directly across the highway, lol.

i think we were "over it" at that point and made our way back to the north country trailway

Hmm ok. I've been to Sleepy Hollow and Tarrytown, but never with my bike. I'd like to check out the aqueduct.

What's a viaduct? I should know my Latin word roots...
Lemme know when you'd like to go. I never made it to the actual aqueduct but would really love to see it, I saw pics of it and it looks breathtaking!

ive been up there probably about a dozen times but only a couple weeks ago did i finally make it up to the dam, and damn. its big.

twss.

Historically, the aqueduct enters Manhattan through High Bridge (oldest bridge in NYC) on the East side:

New-York-CL-42-264.jpg

It wound through the Bronx (all roads now), up to Van Cortlandt Park and up to Westchester.

There are some remnants of the aqueduct (trail) in Van Cortlandt Park, but then you have go out in the road and it connects to a paved bike path (Southern County Trailway). Then you have to go out on the road in Yonkers where I would say the long trail up to the dam begins.

224644_653946818178_7200260_n.jpg

I wish I knew more about NY/NYC. Soundz you gotta lead a fat/slow history bike tour.

Someone set up a tour from Fort Lee... (JIMMY)

I've been meaning to do High Bridge since I heard it was being opened but I know nothing about the Bronx side.

its open to cross, but they close the gates at night (found that out the hard way) the other side is crap IME

high bridge park is supposed to have some trails but ive never been http://www.nycmtb.com/?page_id=285

Worth riding if you're passing by. Not worth riding to. Mostly interesting because if you're on those trails you're possibly nowhere near another human being but on Manhattan.

Back
Top Bottom