NJ Highlands Gran Fundo

Fondo fun do.

Smile for the camera guys!

The weather was so perfect that smiles were possible through-out.

Luke had a couple of climbs staked out. I took it easy except for the climb at 80 miles where I attempted to hammer up the hill a bit. Way too hard and dug myself deep into overload and pain ( no smiles on that climb for sure )

GREAT RIDE.

- W

that climb was NUTS. I started up in IN MY CAR and half way up I was like, holy CRAP this is a big ass steep hill! There were a whole bunch of people walking with their shoes off.
I got pics, I've never taken this many pictures before, so it's going to be a bit. I'm at like 35 minutes of just transferring files off my camera, and then I have to do my 2nd memory card. Damn.

I really should have found a downhill spot to take pictures at, I don't know what I was thinking.
i-488jjSC-XL.jpg

i-df5qT2N-XL.jpg

i-r7sWDR3-XL.jpg

that climb was NUTS. I started up in IN MY CAR and half way up I was like, holy CRAP this is a big ass steep hill! There were a whole bunch of people walking with their shoes off.
I got pics, I've never taken this many pictures before, so it's going to be a bit. I'm at like 35 minutes of just transferring files off my camera, and then I have to do my 2nd memory card. Damn.

Some of those climbs were nuts. The climb up from West Milford was pure pain.

Did you get a pic of the three of us in a pace line?

Good times and great loop. Me, Brad and 26er did the 60mi loop, got in a good workout, tortured myself on the climbs. Brook valley I have done many times so I was ready for that, but the pace leading up to it was pretty hard. I had never done otterhole so it felt like that was endless. Thankfully, I linked up with Dave S and another guy and we worked together...made it go by much quicker. I agree with bard, the climb up warwick turnpike I felt was the worst, mainly bc i had forgotten all about it. Major kick in the nuts. The three of of had a nice pace going and we linked up with others from time to time. Luke got some sweet pics.

Oh and somehow I still didnt see jmartz at the start

DSC_1929-XL.jpg

man this hurt, but i managed to get to the top in 3rd which I was pretty happy with bc i usually suck on this climb.
DSC_2047-L.jpg

luke got a nice shot of us on warwick tp.
DSC_2547-L.jpg

Great ride, thanks to Tim and the other promoters for making this happen, very fun

so i get one of those Uh Oh emails from strava that some dude stole a kom from me that i didnt know existed. i just checked and i guess it was climb #1 from this event today and a new segment and now im in like 20th place. soul crushing. i had no time to enjoy it.

got spanked on barrett road climb strava too, looks like there was some fast climbers out there. that one is brutal.

First Road Event

I'm not much of a roadie and never did a Fondo before, but I really enjoyed this.

It seemed to be well run and organized. I can imagine all that's involve especially the great traffic control through all the different towns.

I pushed myself the whole 60 miles and did it in 3hrs 15m. Came in 6th in my division for the timed sections. I never almost puked at a MTB event, but the second hill climb had me questioning weather wolfing down two bananas and guzzling a full bottle of water at the previous rest stop was such a good idea.

I would definitely do one of these again!

This was a great ride. I did the 98 and I have to say the constant hills was epic. I felt like some of the untimed sections were harder than the timed. I did past the finish and went a further 1.5 up the road then back to get in a full 100. Luke thank for the pics again.

Thanks to everyone for coming out and making this event a great day!
I'm happy to have shared one of my favorite rides in the form of the NJ Highlands Gran Fondo. I look forward to seeing everyone next year at the event too!
If that is to long to wait please join the GFNCS.com team at one of our other events.

Golden Co June 23rd
Boone NC August 4th
Frederick MD September 22nd

Tim Dougherty

Back
Top Bottom