Newbie question about tires/flats

visanic

Hello all;

My son and I are new to the sport and loving it! :)

I've gotten a few flats which I believe were due to under-inflating my tires. Since then, my shop (Freehold Bike) recommended that I use the max inflation recommended and also sold me thicker tubes(I think Giant made them, but I don't remember). So far so good.

Last week my son got a flat on his bike (pressure was good/standard tubes).

Question: which tubes do you recommend for NJ trail riding? Do the slime tubes work well? I know now that I'm going to start carrying slime with me on our rides to seal a tire in a pinch and get us home.

Thanks in advance.
Dan

Many variables on the right tire pressure. Your weight? Where do you ride? Hardtail bike?

It's less about which tubes and more about the right pressure.

Many variables on the right tire pressure. Your weight? Where do you ride? Hardtail bike?

It's less about which tubes and more about the right pressure.

...and even then it will still happen (thorns, glass, etc). Just be prepared with spare tubes/patches and tire levers.

if you "field ride" then thorns are a problem....
learning to ride "lighter" helps too (weight not always planted on the seat or leaning heavy on the bars)

if the flats are truly pinch flats (compressing the tube between tire and rim) at max pressure, something is up.

check-out the youtube vids on identifying pinch flats and going tubeless. that is a nice first project, and if it doesn't work, just put the tube back in!

good luck - keep riding!

Last edited:
All of the above but if you have not yet learned to swap a tube do that plus always carry at least 2 tubes plus a patch kit and the tools needed to swap the tube and a pump.
there are some real good videos on youtube about how to change a tube the right way so you do not end up nicking the tube and causing another flat..or there were workshops around at local shops that taught basic get back to the car repairs.Trust me nothing is worse then walking out from the farthest from the lot place in the park.

Start here -

lots of videos, lots of promo - it isn't the only way to do it, but probably one of the most comprehensive sites - they even list rim/tire combos that are recommended. but ask the internet too.

http://www.notubes.com/

specifically
http://www.notubes.com/Stans-Tubeless-Kits-C12.aspx

Also: shop around for a better price...

Edit:
should add that i've had only one flat since switching - and that was because of lack of maintenance (not putting fresh sealant in after 4 months. add it through the valve) - i weigh 190ish and run 30psi in the rocks, and a bit less at 6mr/allaire.

Last edited:
Start here -

lots of videos, lots of promo - it isn't the only way to do it, but probably one of the most comprehensive sites - they even list rim/tire combos that are recommended. but ask the internet too.

http://www.notubes.com/

specifically
http://www.notubes.com/Stans-Tubeless-Kits-C12.aspx

Also: shop around for a better price...

Edit:
should add that i've had only one flat since switching - and that was because of lack of maintenance (not putting fresh sealant in after 4 months. add it through the valve) - i weigh 190ish and run 30psi in the rocks, and a bit less at 6mr/allaire.

Thanks!!!

If you run 70psi and are getting this many flats I would check your tire and rim sounds like something is stuck in it. I never get flats and I am running 30 front and 28 rear with tubes riding rocks and all.

Hi,
I run my tires at max rated pressure (I think it's 70 psi) and my weight is 225.

Thanks.

Seeing that psi is part of this convo I hope no one minds the highjack but what is a good pressure to be using when riding a trail my tires are rated for 65 so that is what they got but should I be more around 40 to 30? Does that make a ride easier? I had my first ride at tourne and ended up walking because I was tired and I kept losing grip. maybe go thinner?

Thanks

Last edited:
For Tubeless:

Tech Tip - Tire pressure

To determine a starting tire pressure when running NoTubes tires with our ZTR rim use this simple formula.

Rider Weight in pounds divided by 7 = x

x - 1 = Front tire pressure in PSI
x + 2 = Rear tire pressure in PSI

Example: 185lb rider

185/7 = 26.4

Front tire pressure: 26 - 1 = 25 PSI
Rear tire pressure: 26 + 2 = 28 PSI

For Tubeless:

Tech Tip - Tire pressure

To determine a starting tire pressure when running NoTubes tires with our ZTR rim use this simple formula.

Rider Weight in pounds divided by 7 = x

x - 1 = Front tire pressure in PSI
x + 2 = Rear tire pressure in PSI

Example: 185lb rider

185/7 = 26.4

Front tire pressure: 26 - 1 = 25 PSI
Rear tire pressure: 26 + 2 = 28 PSI

That's interesting. Thanks for that.

Back
Top Bottom