New rider - Trails??

SAM

Did you try Huber and Hartshorne? Huber is beginner friendly and Hartshorne is good too. HT would be fine in both.

Cassinonorth

You might want to check out the west Essex trail in cedar grove, just above mills reservation. It’s pretty close to you.

Absolutely the best place. OP Park at Verona HS on Fairview Ave and start exploring. Most trails off there are very flowy and easy to navigate.

From there you can progress to tougher stuff in the parks. It's where I cut my teeth as a new rider. It's very diverse and plenty to play around on.

scott62

Hard tail is the place to start and you can ride everything in NJ with a hardtail except maybe creek. Some places will surely be more fun with full suspension but don't worry about that for a while the hardtail will handle what your doing with it and then some
Yea, if you like that prison rape feeling after a ride, try jungle habitat on a hardtail :cool:

Hardtails should stay south of route 80, there be many rocks in the north.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yea, if you like that prison rape feeling after a ride, try jungle habitat on a hardtail :cool:

Hardtails should stay south of route 80, there be many rocks in the north.

been there done that, I also seasonally ride wildcat on a hardtail. . . . if your getting prison raped riding a hardtail at any of these parks your technique needs some work (get your seat down and ass up)

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Exactly @shrpshtr325 ! People think they are supposed to sit down while riding a hardtail 🤷🏻‍♂️. I’m up off the seat at Jungle most of the time (dropper down) and usually faster than on a full squish. @Clutchflme also check out Tourne in Boonton. Great trail system with a little of everything

Last edited:

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Either tralforks or maprika are both good apps.
maprika will allow you to use the official jorba map and blue dot you on the map.
trailforks has all the trails listed and can be useful as well or post up and get a tour.

BananaFred

Lewis Morris and Tourne are fine for hardtails. people are over-biked in this area (it is an indulgence, not a requirement). get knee pads (you can find perfectly good ones at amazon for $15). I did recently go from HT (Trek x-caliber 8) to FS (Ibis Ripley AF) and the part that surprised me is how much better the FS bike climbs.

Sto-ic7

Looking for a decent trail for a new rider with a new hard tail bike mountain bike. I live in Bloomfield NJ. Also wondering if there are any group rides. I cycle on road and wanted to give trail riding a go.
Hey Clutch-I am a beginner ( 52 yrs old) looking to buy my first mountain bike. I saw that several people recommend the Hardtail as opposed to full suspension. There are so many choices! I know I need a Large or XL that is durable.

Good luck...and I am also looking to do meetups to ride ( when I get the HT). Im in Cranford

Rob

BananaFred

Hey Clutch-I am a beginner ( 52 yrs old) looking to buy my first mountain bike. I saw that several people recommend the Hardtail as opposed to full suspension. There are so many choices! I know I need a Large or XL that is durable.

Good luck...and I am also looking to do meetups to ride ( when I get the HT). Im in Cranford

Rob
Trek Roscoe 7 or a Giant Talon 1 or specialized rockhopper. criteria when i was buying was: air fork and 1x12 shifting with 51 tooth chainring (for climbing) and availability of course

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

Rob

Start a thread to document your journey! You'll enjoy going back and reading about your experiences and progress!

If going new, start with any solid bike from a local shop - get to know them, they'll get to know you.
It really works out well. Upgrades, warranty issues, repairs, etc....

Oh, and you'll need both a hardtail and a full suspension bike with lots of upgrades.
Plan accordingly!

Last edited:

qclabrat

Rob
Not to derail this thread, but start a thread per Pat and tell us your budget

Is it stupid to ride 6 mile or Allaire tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon the day after a heavy rain? What do you guys wear during the fall winter rides? Apologies for the stupid questions. I’m mostly an on road guy that is really enjoying my new hobby of MTB trail riding.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is it stupid to ride 6 mile or Allaire tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon the day after a heavy rain? What do you guys wear during the fall winter rides? Apologies for the stupid questions. I’m mostly an on road guy that is really enjoying my new hobby of MTB trail riding.
Yes, Six Mile is a no go after rain. The soil there is mostly clay. It turns to a peanut buttery shit storm. Not only is riding those conditions bad for the trails (erosion and such) but you’ll destroy any moving parts on the bike.

Allaire is the most resilient, but I’m not sure how much rain they’ll get.

iman29

There’s a ton more people with MTB experience on here but of all the places to NOT ride after rain it’s 6 Mile run.

There’s a section on this forum for trail conditions you can always check in on each.

If you just remember this phrase you’re good:

mud is Murder.

But kudos for asking first.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
most sand based trails drain better then clay based that said if we get rain again today then I don't think any trails will be that good.
6 mile is clay based and needs time after the rain to be even close to "good" remember if your are leaving marks on the tread it is too wet to ride.
Thanks again for asking

Top Bottom