New bike for my 6yo

Ed Oh

My boy loves to ride with me. 3+ miles is nothing for him last summer at 5. He's turning the corner and hitting the big 6 the end of Feb. His present bike is tiny, he loves it anyway, but he definitely deserves something bigger and better- He always wants to ride with Dad-

I want to take him with me to do the small section of Mercer, Core Creek, or other similar trails to get him confident-
So whats your child riding? I have no problem spending a little coin on a new MTB, hopefully our youngest will use it afterwards. Trek and a few others make a half cool bike for about $200. But I also have my brothers old S&M .38 Special in the garage, I'm just waiting to rebuild. And it's just about his size-
Sorry a quick search with probably the wrong key words resulted nothing-

:hmmm:

My son has progressed through the Specialized Hotrock line. He just moved to a 12" frame on 24" wheels at 8 years old and about 52" tall.

I bought a nearly new 24" Trek MT220 on craigslist for $100. I stripped it down and built it up with some decent stuff i had laying around and I picked up some clearance parts here and there. It's turned into a pretty damned nice bike and it cost about the same as a new MT220.

uploadfromtaptalk1390238127909.jpg
Bam! It only gets better. His first year DHing at 12yrs old.

My 6yo son rides a Cannondale Trail 16. That thing is really nice. He has the Raw/Blue version. Singlespeed with coaster brakes. He loves it.

I just bought my 7yr old (in Feb) a Giant 20" with gears and hand brakes. Hasn't riding it that much yet but picked up the hand brakes very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom