Need some new tires

c.liston

I’ve been running Ground Controls on my Fatboy for about two years now and they are coming to the end. I like them overall and have never had issues with them. I’m just looking for something different. My fatbike has become my goto lately so i want something for general trail blasting but obviously snow too.

Any good suggestions. 4.6 or maybe 4.8”

Thx

Your gonna get many different answers but i like the schwable jumbo jims 4.8s EXO for all around. Huge weight savings with these tires and held up well in gnar of allamuchy.

i think @rick81721 has caught the OOS post whore virus . . . everyone stay away so you dont catch it too!

girlsassylarge.gif

I’ve got a pair of Bontrager 26”x4.7” Barbegazis with about 5 rides on them (virtually new) that I’d sell you for $100. I got a little self-steer from them at <5 psi on dirt. If you don’t run your pressures that “ridiculously” low, however, they’re a great tire. I would add, though, that the modest-sized knobs are better suited for “3-season”/dirt use and roll very well, but they are not as effective in snow as some of the bigger knobbed tires (for instance, Surly Bud & Lou). If you think they’d meet your needs, just reach out to me. David

While I love the traction of my 4.8 Minions, they do come with a weight penalty. That said my Farley had 4.7 Barbegazis on them and they were much lighter than my Minions and had really good traction. You should contact @FitmanNJ as that is a great deal.

3rd year on my minions and knobs look brand new (maybe I need to ride more?). Traction is incredible. Just curious, why are minions so much heavier than the barbegazis? Thicker carcass and sidewalls? I only ride up in NNJ were the are plenty of rocks, and I haven't had a puncture, tear, or tubeless fail yet on the minions, so I'll gladly take on a little more rotational weight in exchange for durability.....

3rd year on my minions and knobs look brand new (maybe I need to ride more?). Traction is incredible. Just curious, why are minions so much heavier than the barbegazis? Thicker carcass and sidewalls? I only ride up in NNJ were the are plenty of rocks, and I haven't had a puncture, tear, or tubeless fail yet on the minions, so I'll gladly take on a little more rotational weight in exchange for durability.....
I think the tread is where the weight is, Barbegazi's have small knobs in comparison.

I actually ordered the Jumbo Jim’s in the 4.4” side. Snakeskin/addix

I really like the bulllit proof of my Nobby Nics and the lbs recommended them but based on their personal use the 4.8” rub a lot in the chain stays of the Fatboy. I figured the 4.4” will be a nice in the middle between the fast rolling 4.0 and old 4.6 I had. I could not risk riding the Fat50 on that old rubber

Last edited:
I actually ordered the Jumbo Jim’s in the 4.4” side. Snakeskin/addix

I really like the bulllit proof of my Nobby Nics and the lbs recommended them but based on their personal use the 4.8” rub a lot in the chain stays of the Fatboy. I figured the 4.4” will be a nice in the middle between the fast rolling 4.0 and old 4.6 I had. I could not risk riding the Fat50 on that old rubber
Good luck with the Jumbo Jims -- they're another great tire and one of my favorites. I found the 4.8" JJs to be a little sketchy in snow, however, but less so on hardpack. For future reference, I ran the Barbegazis on my Fatboy using 90mm rims and had plenty of clearance...

I love the 45nrth 120 tpi 4.8 Dillinger 5’s in the winter, but come warmer weather a 3.8 tire is just so much faster/easier to push (the five runs small and fits a Beargrease on a 85mm rim). That being said the 3.8 Surly Knard in a 120tpi is the bees knees for the warm weather. The 4.8 is too sketchy in snow/ice.

So far I like the 4.4’s. They are a very stiff feeling tire. I’m still dialing in psi. On the Ground Controls I could 7fr/8rr and be perfect. That is like a rock on these so I’m playing with settings to give a fast but compliant ride

Back
Top Bottom