Need some help with a DH bike

aedubber

So I am looking into picking up a DH bike , I have a chance to go demo a Giant Glory but I would like to try out a Specialized Demo 8 and a Kona Operator . It would help me make up my mind a lot quicker and easier but I can't seem to find any shops that have a Demo or Operator on the floor .

So does anyone on here ride a Demo or Operator ? Or what would you guys recommend ? It seems like most people love the Glory but I am open to other bikes as well . Any info would be great !!

i will recommend going here:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/forum.php

i'd search first before you ask. the rules of the forum are a little different over there and "what bike should i buy" questions come up quite a bit.

another i think you should add to your list that you should consider (purely because of price point and its the bike i'm currently obsessed about) is the specialized status.

and another place to waste oodles of time is the pinkbike buy/sell classifieds. there are tons of used bikes for sale there.

Thanks I appreciate your reply but I'm not asking what to buy but more about if people that have these bikes can tell me a little about them .. And cuz this is in the tri state area if someone would be kind enough to let me take a spin on one on a trail , I'd throw them some money for it as well ..

Sorry if my thread comes off as a " what bike should I buy " lol I already know how those go , but yea I'm def not trying to ask that .. Just some local feedback would be great from here .

I have read on pinkbike and ride monkey , but again I only ask cuz if someone was kind enough to let me see it in person or take a spin on it would be great !

I have a 2011 glory 0 n love it, bike is alsome, i also tried out the specialized demo and bikes were very similar, for the price u cant beat the glory if money doesn't mater go to interbike at Bootleg Canyon and u can try them all.

John, formerly of Cycleworks, now Martys MoTown would be a good person to talk to. He used to sell giants and had a Glory for his steed. Obviously, Marty's is a Spec shop and maybe he could give you a candid opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
These are tough to sell, why don't you look for a used bike(if price is any issue). I know a few people that have a hard time selling them, even good bikes in great shape. I don't go strictly downhill that often and its actually a lot cheaper and easier to just rent one, instead of beating up a bike you own.

Yea If I can find a good deal on a used bike I would do it , it's just hard to demo these bikes somewhere lol .. I'm afraid to buy a bike and then not like it and be stuck with it :/ ..

you could probably try some out at mountaincreek. I believe they do some demos there and you can definitely rent the bikes and equipment. Isn't it like 50 bucks a day? Thats great compared to spending a couple grand on a dh bike

you could probably try some out at mountaincreek. I believe they do some demos there and you can definitely rent the bikes and equipment. Isn't it like 50 bucks a day? Thats great compared to spending a couple grand on a dh bike

Its more like $100, and i agree with trying to demo as many bikes a possible. I disagree with renting bikes since most of the time they are beat to death. Also once u have your own bike u can dial it in and make the bike that much better. When u rent or demo a bike if the springs are not for your weight the bike will handle totally diff then when u set it up for yourself. I think this could be a risk of getting hurt depending on what type of rider you are.

If any of you guys want to rent a bike for a $100 and fix anything u damage let me know i will help u out.

alright dude, i got a specialized demo 9 frame with all the extras rebuilt, great bike, marzocci 888 fork and complete shimano saint drivetrain, pm sending

Ok cool , ill give Tom a call .

clarkenstein : I will def keep the Status in mind as well , totally forgot about that bike that replaced the big hit .

Ok cool , ill give Tom a call .

clarkenstein : I will def keep the Status in mind as well , totally forgot about that bike that replaced the big hit .

yeah the frame is the same (essentially) as the higher end builds, but the price point is awesome for a new DH bike. i have read some reviews on it and it just sounds like a solid bike for the money.

Actually looks better than I thought. Parts are 2011, frameset 2006

Attachments

• bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 190
  • bike2.jpg
    bike2.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 156
  • bike3.jpg
    bike3.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 163
These are tough to sell, why don't you look for a used bike(if price is any issue). I know a few people that have a hard time selling them, even good bikes in great shape. I don't go strictly downhill that often and its actually a lot cheaper and easier to just rent one, instead of beating up a bike you own.

Nothing worse than riding one of those beat up rentals. They get destroyed pretty fast but you might be able to get a decent experience if you are up there very early in the season. Even then, it is likely that it will not be dialed in anywhere near what your size/shape/weight needs.

OP: Not to dissuade you from your current choice of bikes but I found this one after I had already bought most of the parts for a new build:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Large-...5179787?pt=Mountain_Bikes&hash=item4160b26b0b

I should have mine ready this coming week or so (large frame, avalanche rear shock w/remote, marzocchi fork with avalanche cartridge, shimano saint group) and you are welcome to give it a spin to see how it feels to you.

Last edited:
Its more like $100, and i agree with trying to demo as many bikes a possible. I disagree with renting bikes since most of the time they are beat to death. Also once u have your own bike u can dial it in and make the bike that much better. When u rent or demo a bike if the springs are not for your weight the bike will handle totally diff then when u set it up for yourself. I think this could be a risk of getting hurt depending on what type of rider you are.

If any of you guys want to rent a bike for a $100 and fix anything u damage let me know i will help u out.

Wow Mountain creek is charging 189 for a dh bike for 1 day. Crazy:confused:

Well I know they partnered up with GT so the rentals will be new ;) , but where did u come up w 189? Thought it was 89 or 99 ... It was on their Facebook .

Back
Top Bottom