Need a MSG to GWB route

lawndart

Shop: Campmor
Shop Keep
as the days get nicer I'd like to eventually on my last day of work for the week take the train into work, I work in Penn Station, and ride my bike home. I 'd prob ride down either 33rd or 34th to the West Side bikelanes. But as I go north i have no idea how to get to the GWB. Can anyone suggest some route(s) to get the GWB?

visit a bike shop near you and get a NYC biking map (it's free)

i commute back home from c-town every saturday to clifton.year round.
except in bad weather.

It's not hard at all.

Hop on the WSB (west side bike path); hop off anywhere about 96th street and turn left onto Riverside Dr; continue north on Riverside until 165th street; turn right on 165th street, then left on Fort Washington.

Going up Fort Washington Ave, turn left on 177th. Go down two blocks, turn right on Cabrini Blvd. Before you reach 178th Street, you should turn to your left and see the sidewalk leading to the on ramp for the south-side path (if its open).

Take the ramp up, be careful for descending walkers and cyclists, and head over the bridge.

Here's a map: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/305213

Here's another option that will keep you off the streets for almost the whole ride. Take the West Side Greenway as described in previous post. Go all the way past the GWB (you will go under it). Go up 2 short, steep hills and you will see a path up to a bridge that will allow you to cross the Henry Hudson Pkwy. This will spit you out on 181st. Head South on Fort Washington Ave. Right on 177th. Right on Cabrini Blvd. Look to your left on 178th for the ramp up to the GWB pathway.

I usually just cruise right up broadway until you hit the bus depot, it's right above the bridge. Make a left and go down the hill a bit, you can't miss the sidewalk leading up to the bridge on the left. Not always the safest route, but it works lol

If taking it to the streets is your thing, then Broadway is an option as suggested.

Or you could take 11th Ave/West End Ave to River Side Drive all the way up (i.e. stay to the West as much as possible since they tend to be the least populated with traffic). And make a right on 165th, otherwise it will bring you to a place you don't want to go.

I often go through Central Park (no cars mostly) to St. Nichols (bike lane). Especially when I'm coming into the city.

In fact, you can take any of the avenues all the way up, but stay away from anything East of St. Nicholas after 145th street because you will find yourself at an almost dead end w/ no where to go except the East Side highway or the Bronx and a neighborhood I would not feel comfortable in even in the day time. It doesn't look like it on the map, but 155th involves a bridge that's 100 feet off the ground and Jackie Robinson Park involves scaling a cliff. It's a great place for an ambush!

This means once you reach 125th or 145th at the lastest, you wanna start heading West. Trust me on this one :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom