My axle came loose 50 times in one ride.

Lots of info missing. Type of bike, type/brand of axle, mechanical aptitude [sorry, it's relevant].

Just wild guesses, so I'm going to say: cheap cam-over QR through axle, and the bolt that holds the cam on is loose.

My rear axle comes loose every 10 rides or so. Nothing as severe as mentioned.
i know it happened when the shifting gets wonky.

Check the end caps on the hub? If they’re threaded style they can loosen up then your axle can’t fully tighten the whole assembly. Had this happen on various wheels.
or something is super duper jacked up.

It’s a through axle on a 2020 Trek slash. I would crank it as tight as I dared. ride a couple hundred yards and it would be loose again. I had to resort to zip typing the stock axle wrench in place to hold it.

If it's the axle with removable handle, make it is tight as you can by hand.

It can, obviously, also be used with a regular hex key.

Just for shiggles, though, remove it and make sure the dropouts are tight. One side uses a rather large socket (21mm?), the other side is a reverse threaded 8mm hex, if it's the new stuff with a SRAM derailleur hanger.

Just spit balling here as I've never had that happen, but could bad wheel bearings play into this? If they have play, or are tight, could they be exerting force on the axle and helping it to loosen up?

Keep in mind I am no mechanic and this is a complete stab in the dark :)

I’ve had an issue with a thru axle becoming lose although not this severe, I replaced my thru axle and it resolved the problem.

Looks like this? Betting you didn’t tighten it “properly”.

Attachments

• 6F1A46F9-54D9-4F32-AF1D-0C18B605F791.png
    6F1A46F9-54D9-4F32-AF1D-0C18B605F791.png
    415.1 KB · Views: 90
@Dave Taylor it's probably the new 'stealth' axle for SRAM hangers. Has a 12mm FINE (not the normal coarse) thread on it. AFAIK, nobody makes a cam-over quick release for it.

Either it isn't tight enough to start, or there is something wrong with the axle/RH dropout.

Back
Top Bottom