Mounting Sagauro's

JB1

OK-I have just about given up. I decided to go against my better judgement, and I bought Sagauro TNT's, despite reading about how hard they are to mount, especially on Bontrager rims. So after about 2 hours and not even coming close to getting the tire on, these tires are very close to going up for sale. Im looking for some advice besides soap and water and tire levers. Or just make me an offer on tires.

You could put them on some different rims that are easier to get them on and pump them up really high and let them sit for a few hours.

stretching on another rim may help, It works for tubulars. Use brute force and some soap for lubrication. I've mouted saguaros a couple of times and don't remember them being difficult. Are you running extra large DH tubes or something?

By far the worst experience was mounting a vittoria cross tire on an easton rim. Next to impossible. I thought the tire was going to rip apart at any moment. But it held tight. Not a tire you want to change in a race situation.

In the shop I use Crossmax 29er wheels to stretch them on. The Mavics have a deep center UST type channel.

I pump them up to 60 psi overnight and they are good to go.

The guy at Vittoria (Geax Parent Company) told me this trick and t works wonders.

In the shop I use Crossmax 29er wheels to stretch them on. The Mavics have a deep center UST type channel.

The guy at Vittoria (Geax Parent Company) told me this trick and t works wonders.

J stretched mine on some crossmax wheels, it helped a lot, but it was still a bitch to mount them. The up side is they have never burped.

So after about 2 hours and not even coming close to getting the tire on, these tires are very close to going up for sale. Im looking for some advice besides soap and water and tire levers. Or just make me an offer on tires.

If you still can't get the tires on consider paying your lbs or halters to mount the saguro's. If you sell them your going to lose $ and you'll have to start the tire search over again.
Once the tires are on your rims getting them off/on in the future will be easier...but hopefully you won't have to take them off again until replacement. I mounted my saguro's with the help of my lbs and have been very happy with them.

stretching on another rim may help, It works for tubulars. Use brute force and some soap for lubrication. I've mouted saguaros a couple of times and don't remember them being difficult. Are you running extra large DH tubes or something?

By far the worst experience was mounting a vittoria cross tire on an easton rim. Next to impossible. I thought the tire was going to rip apart at any moment. But it held tight. Not a tire you want to change in a race situation.

Im trying to mount them tubeless using Stans rim strips, but I wonder if the thickness of the strip is making it harder to mount.

While trying to mount mine to Stans rims, I snapped 5 tire levers, invented new obscene language, then bowed my head and went it to see Chris at Halters with tires and wheelss in hand.... :mad:

Chris slapped them on in a few minutes. I guess doing it all day allows one to develop technique. :)

The pedros levers seem to work great, they are strong and help to muscle the bead into place without snapping the lever. On the plus side, I cant imaging burping this tire.

OK-I have just about given up. I decided to go against my better judgement, and I bought Sagauro TNT's, despite reading about how hard they are to mount, especially on Bontrager rims. So after about 2 hours and not even coming close to getting the tire on, these tires are very close to going up for sale. Im looking for some advice besides soap and water and tire levers. Or just make me an offer on tires.

if you do decide to sell them I'll take em :D

While trying to mount mine to Stans rims, I snapped 5 tire levers, invented new obscene language, then bowed my head and went it to see Chris at Halters with tires and wheelss in hand.... :mad:

Chris slapped them on in a few minutes. I guess doing it all day allows one to develop technique. :)

The pedros levers seem to work great, they are strong and help to muscle the bead into place without snapping the lever. On the plus side, I cant imaging burping this tire.

I might have to make a trip to Halters if all else fails. At least I wont be the only one who has walked in with tires in hand and the look of defeat.
Maybe if I can get them on without the Stans strip I can put a tube in and pump them up to stretch them. I might try that tomorrow when I get some patience back.

I might have to make a trip to Halters if all else fails. Maybe if I can get them on without the Stans strip I can put a tube in and pump them up to stretch them. I might try that tomorrow when I get some patience back.

I thought there was no way to get that tire on the rim. Mr. Flecknoe proved me wrong in moments...... :)

Stretching it may work, give it a shot.

So I took the Stans rim strips off and mounted them with very little struggle. I guess the strips made enough of a difference in the depth of the rim that it was giving me problems. I popped a tube in and pumped them up to 60lbs. I'll wait until tomorrow to see if they actually stretch. I also noticed that I put some tiny holes in the Stans strips. I am going to assume that the Stans juice will seal these. The strips seem to be a double layer and the holes arent all the way through. First lets eee if I can mount the tire, then I'll worry about the strips.

Well- It worked. I let them sit overnight with tubes in them at 60 lbs. I got one mounted with a little struggle, but still got it mounted. This is my first go at tubeless, so did the whole Stans thing and Im kind of amazed how quick it sealed up. I dont know if its because of these tires or what, but there wasnt any leaks at the bead right from the get go. I'll write up review of this experience once I get the second one mounted. I have to let the swelling on my knuckles go down first.

Back
Top Bottom