Mountain, Cross and Shuffleboard Nats

I ended up switching a pillow at night and that was enough to get me out of my neck discomfort funk. Today's ride was much better, and no numb hands. Temperatures were ideal, which made for a very enjoyable local ride. Our local trails allow cattle grazing so flowers are generally not as good as some other places, but today they were better than expected. I guess the recent rains have helped and flowers are popping.

IMG_2706.jpg

Version 2.jpg

IMG_2707.jpg

IMG_2701.jpg

IMG_2714.jpg

Our gate contractor has installed new posts at the new location. They will be back to move the gate next week. In the mean time, Art has decided to run a wire out to the gate now that it is closer to the house. It does have a solar panel and two batteries, but the new location has less hours of sunlight due to the hillside. Plus batteries only last so long until they will not hold a charge long enough to open the gate in early morning and need to be replaced. He needs to get the wire about 50 feet out to the gate from our bike room where he is taking the power into an external box. He has to open up a small piece in a concrete slab and then run down under our bike trail and across the drive way. I may have dig duty shortly. :rolleyes:

We had some rain again, so I have been off the bike for two days. If I do not ride today, it will be three days off. Hoping to get out later today, but it may be tomorrow. Right now there are clouds hanging up on the mountains with dark skies. ...Not looking inviting for a bike ride. That being said, the clouds could lift at any moment. As soon as the warm Arizona sun shines, things warm up and trails dry in hours.

IMG_2748.jpg

IMG_2746.jpg

IMG_2744.jpg

IMG_2740.jpg

IMG_2729.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg

The electrical line is complete out to our new gate location. The cut concrete slab is filled in with concrete and dirt back filled. The gate contractor is currently working reinstalling the moved gate. Almost done ... yay!

I have been on the bike and had two solid rides 2 hours or more. I am trying to get needed rest in between for the next few weeks as I hope to ramp things up a bit with ride times. Pictures are from Starr pass area of Tucson Mountain Park. I enjoy riding there. It is a bit more rocky than some other places out here. A few of the trails have super tech sections which are a nice challenge and keep me engaged. My new Ibis Excie has been working out great. As much as I loved my pivot 429, I have transitioned over to the new bike and new fit well, and am able to enjoy the things that the Ibis does better.

Hopefully a picture of the gate shortly ....

IMG_3051.jpg

IMG_3052.jpg

IMG_2753.jpg

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

I'm shocked Art could go that long without a come along over there! He's probably working on his garroting tool v.2 already...

Our gate is now completely moved to our property line. Art is starting to build retaining walls for the steep hillside on both sides of the gate. We have a bunch of rock and a come along. Plus Art is doing some concrete and mortar treatments. Probably take another week as we have more rain coming tomorrow. These once a week rains should keep the wild flowers coming. It is always nice to see rains come back after a drought summer or what they call non-soon.

We have also started to spot the first migratory birds: vultures. They congregate each spring in this area and ride the wind currents of the mountains daily. One or two at first, and slowly gain numbers up to 15. I assume it is part of mating rituals. We are still waiting for orioles, buntings, tanagers and rufous hummingbirds. ... Any day now.

IMG_2782.jpg

IMG_2783.jpg

IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2790.jpg

IMG_2793.jpg

Last edited:
Our gate is now completely moved to our property line. Art is starting to build retaining walls for the steep hillside on both sides of the gate. We have a bunch of rock and a come along. Plus Art is doing some concrete and mortar treatments. Probably take another week as we have more rain coming tomorrow. These once a week rains should keep the wild flowers coming. It is always nice to rains come back after a drought summer or what they call non-soon.

We have also started to spot the first migratory birds: vultures. They congregate each spring in this area and ride the wind currents of the mountains daily. One or two at first, and slowly gain numbers up to 15. I assume it is part of mating rituals. We are still waiting for orioles, buntings, tanagers and rufous hummingbirds. ... Any day now.

View attachment 234278

View attachment 234279

View attachment 234280

View attachment 234282

View attachment 234281
Looks like another awesome day at the office...

Yesterday, on cue, the first oriole showed up in our yard. He has been seen several times in or near the pine tree. One of our two oriole feeders is placed right underneath the pine tree. We are lucky to get nesting orioles every year. Our neighbor has some tall palm trees which attract them for nesting material.

Art has been working away on his retaining wall project. He has completed one side and is stating the other side. He hopes to add some rocks on the left side of the gate.

Yesterday we rode down the 50 year trail into Catalina state park. The trails down there are not great but offer different views and vegetation. There were more grasses and flowers down that way too , ... no grazing. Plus there are random sections of rocks. Not chunk rock like at Starr, but roundish rocks like Ringwood. Some sections have no flow but offer some trials like mashing. I would not want it every day, but it is ok now and then. We do it once a year. Turned out to be 17 mile ride, which is considered a longer ride for me these days.

IMG_2805.jpg

IMG_2806.jpg

IMG_2798.jpg

IMG_2804.jpg

IMG_2800.jpg

Great pics! I lived in Tucson from 99-2000, in the very top left of this pic you can see the enormous Leviathan dome and Wilderness Dome. There is incredible rock climbing on Leviathan Dome, right up the center on the North Face, and a little to the left on a route called User Friendly. Worth a bushwhack up there sometime!
IMG_5260.jpeg

Do you harvest your prickly pears? Once you get rid of the tiny torn and tick skin they're rather good. They probably ripen when you're already up here though...
No I have not tried the pads. I did not know they were on the menue for humans. The cows eat them. I have tried the fruit called nopals and they were a bit of work to de-spine. I just buy juice already done. I think they fruit in the fall before we get out here.

Great pics! I lived in Tucson from 99-2000, in the very top left of this pic you can see the enormous Leviathan dome and Wilderness Dome. There is incredible rock climbing on Leviathan Dome, right up the center on the North Face, and a little to the left on a route called User Friendly. Worth a bushwhack up there sometime!View attachment 234546
I am not a climber and did not know that peak and spot by name. I wonder if that access is still there after the big fire in 2020. Forest service has closed some trails and not reopened after the fire.

No I have not tried the pads. I did not know they were on the menue for humans. The cows eat them. I have tried the fruit called nopals and they were a bit of work to de-spine. I just buy juice already done. I think they fruit in the fall before we get out here.
I don’t think the pad are that great, even thought I think are edible. Yes, I meant the fruit if that is what you call nopals. Better pealed with a fork and a knife.

One friend went home, and two more came to visit. Art and I have been on the bike for quite a few days while riding with our NJ/NY friends. Today it is raining again, so I am getting a needed day off the bike. Rains seem to come and go more often this winter/spring, and each time the rain brings more snow to Mt Lemmon. Yesterday I was beginning to see brown up there. Today it is in a cloud again. This means our wash may run for a bit more as all that snow keeps melting.

Feeling thankful for all the great riding and visiting time with friends. We have not had any hot weather yet, but have been gifted with many beautiful days in between the rains. ..... I'll take it.

IMG_3154.jpg

It poured last night and today both washes are running. Our friends barely made it across last night when they left our house. A car was getting towed out this morning. We could maybe make it across, but the drop off on our side is over a foot and Art's back bumper would get bent . We will most likely wait a day or two for either a lower level of water or a worn down softer drop in.

We found a hummingbird that we thought was dead, but it is breathing. Not sure if it is stuck in torpor or injured. Art put it in a dry protected place outside and not much has changed. Not sure if it will make it through the night. Hopefully it will fly off. We find them looking dead now and then. We leave them and never know if something eats them or they wake up and fly off. This one is a male Costa. It is soo little.

IMG_E2907.jpg

IMG_2909.jpg

Art and I spent a few days stuck at home until the smaller wash was passable for non AWD. The flooded part is now dried up and has been graded as well. While the small wash is just a trickle today, the big wash ( with the bridge ) is ripping. I am very thankful for that bridge.

Yesterday it started to warm up again, and I saw two snakes in the yard: a gopher snake and a western patch nose. Both are non venomous. Besides our regular hooded oriole, I spotted a scotts oriole. I have also seen black chinned and rufous hummingbirds that arrive with migration. The rains and warmer months bring much life to the desert.

Today's ride was semi local in the Tortolitas on Ridgeline and Wild Burrow with our friends Mike and Brenda. This ride is a must in spring because of all the wild flowers. Every time we do it, the flowers vary, and it has become a tradition that the four of us do it each April. The climb over the pass and back is a tough one, but worth it for the nice single track and all the views and flowers. My new bike seems to make this ride more enjoyable. It was a good ride today!

IMG_E2911.jpg

IMG_2915.jpg

IMG_2912.jpg

IMG_2921.jpg

IMG_2916 (1).jpg

Last edited:
I came upon a tarantula in the yard yesterday. I think I actually disturbed his home. They are really cool, and we normally do not see too many in winter as they are summer creatures. Art and I had a successful day transferring dirt to widen a path and lessen the grade. Art also moved all the leftover big rocks including the giant one. The new come along came in handy. .... a day of home trail maintenance. 😀

IMG_2924.jpg

IMG_2925.jpg

IMG_2928.jpg

IMG_2926.jpg

IMG_2923.jpg

Back
Top Bottom