Mountain, Cross and Shuffleboard Nats

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
On my way up to Phoenix to pick up my mom, Art and I did a ride at Gold Canyon. It is a beautiful spot with some cool momentum flowy trails (sidewinderish). Weather and flowers were awesome. Pushed my fat A$$ a little too hard into a G-out and blew my rear shock, oil squirting all over. It was a challenge to ride back to the car mostly on my front tire, but managed to salvage the day with some laughs.

Today it was to the Guru suspension bike shop to get my bike back in rotation. I should have it back by Wednesday :). Then to the desert botanical gardens for prickly pear lemonade ( IPA for Art ) and a walk with my mom through the beautiful gardens. .....Some more rain and flower blossoms in the near forecast.

GC1.jpg

GC2.jpg

GC3.jpg

art at gold canyon.jpg

lemonade.jpg

fencepost bud.jpg

fencepost.jpg

serviceguy

Do you grow prickly pear cactus in your garden? Never knew you can make lemonade with them, always ate them fresh, very, very carefully. My mom is actually growing them with some success on her 5th floor balcony. There’s some trick to maximize fruit production, something like removing the first flowers by a certains date of the year...I had to do it for her when I was at her place last year in June.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Do you grow prickly pear cactus in your garden? Never knew you can make lemonade with them, always ate them fresh, very, very carefully. My mom is actually growing them with some success on her 5th floor balcony. There’s some trick to maximize fruit production, something like removing the first flowers by a certains date of the year...I had to do it for her when I was at her place last year in June.
I do have prickly pear in my garden but not sure if all of them can be eaten.

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Well, not much happening and everything happening over the last week. After much thought and trying not to tell my mom what to do, My mom changed her flight and decided to stay here in Az for now. Today Tucson declared restaurants and gyms closed. We have not eaten out since the day she arrived ( Last post ). Thankfully, I bought a 2 year supply of TP at cosco in the fall. When hanging at my house or on the trail, you would never know there was a change. Flowers are blooming, cactus and citrus are ready to burst any day. Hummingbirds are courting. We had our first oriole of the season. Vultures have arrived. Trails are in great shape. The sun shines.

The rides I have had have been wonderfull and I really appreciate being able to get out and ride. That being said, things will probably get tougher over the next few weeks. So I feel like I must take what I can get and be thankful. Not sure how long I will be out here at this point. Not sure when my mom will go back to NJ. It is just a few days at a time. Good news is that my mom likes to try new food recipes. She has not cooked for us yet, but she has been a major influence and source of inspiration for me to do more cooking and try some new cooking ideas: salmon with lemon dill beurre blanc and a coconut rice.

As pictured, you can see the steps that Art put in the hillside of our yard. They go up to a look out point. Still some finish work needed there but most went in fairly easy. The hillside was eroded and starting to get worse. The steps should hold that together and make walking up and down a breeze.

I have been thinking about many of the great trails back east and hope that all of you keep access to them during this time of crisis.

IMG_4212.jpg
IMG_4196.jpg

IMG_4179.jpg

IMG_4173.jpg

IMG_4166.jpg

IMG_4151.jpg

cowboy.jpg

serviceguy

Well, not much happening and everything happening over the last week. After much thought and trying not to tell my mom what to do, My mom changed her flight and decided to stay here in Az for now. Today Tucson declared restaurants and gyms closed. We have not eaten out since the day she arrived ( Last post ). Thankfully, I bought a 2 year supply of TP at cosco in the fall. When hanging at my house or on the trail, you would never know there was a change. Flowers are blooming, cactus and citrus are ready to burst any day. Hummingbirds are courting. We had our first oriole of the season. Vultures have arrived. Trails are in great shape. The sun shines.

The rides I have had have been wonderfull and I really appreciate being able to get out and ride. That being said, things will probably get tougher over the next few weeks. So I feel like I must take what I can get and be thankful. Not sure how long I will be out here at this point. Not sure when my mom will go back to NJ. It is just a few days at a time. Good news is that my mom likes to try new food recipes. She has not cooked for us yet, but she has been a major influence and source of inspiration for me to do more cooking and try some new cooking ideas: salmon with lemon dill beurre blanc and a coconut rice.

As pictured, you can see the steps that Art put in the hillside of our yard. They go up to a look out point. Still some finish work needed there but most went in fairly easy. The hillside was eroded and starting to get worse. The steps should hold that together and make walking up and down a breeze.

I have been thinking about many of the great trails back east and hope that all of you keep access to them during this time of crisis.

View attachment 121917View attachment 121918

View attachment 121919

View attachment 121920

View attachment 121921

View attachment 121922

View attachment 121923
Nice! Did Art carry that pebble with his bike trailer just to comfortably sit while taking in the scenery?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hey @pixychick I am sure you have said this and I can find it on Strava, but where are you located in AZ? I believe further south, correct? South of Phoenix even?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Tucson.

I was actually going to hit you up if we made it down to Tucson. We just got back from Phoenix last night. Originally a Sedona trip but the weather got bad and spent the last few days in Phoenix. Next time...

House is looking nice!

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Art was able to buy some concrete and make a footing for our point mini patio. Today he is cutting stone. I have been keeping up with the gardens and we both get out on the trails every few days for a ride. Today I walked with mom for about 2 miles. That is about her limit right now. I texted Art to pick us up so she did not have to walk up the hill. At nearly 86 and not a hill walker, I try to keep it mellow. She had been walking by her self close to my house at the top of the hill, but there was a scary assault a few days ago when our neighbors were leaving our house by car in the middle of the day and a crazy man jumped on their car and proceeded to punch them through the sun roof. They are pretty seriously beat up and the man is still not found. We are double locking our doors at night. I might consider ordering some pepper mace. Like the virus thing, I am trying not to dwell on this negative stuff too much. It can mess your head up. So trying to enjoy the warm sunny days, amazing flowers, a few special rides and being with loved ones. Hope you all have been staying healthy. Here are some flowers pictures to remind you all that spring is around the corner if not there already.

patio.jpg

IMG_4311.jpg

IMG_4300.jpg

IMG_4297.jpg

IMG_4287.jpg

IMG_4283.jpg

IMG_4281.jpg

IMG_4278.jpg

IMG_4275.jpg

IMG_4274.jpg

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Spring is happening out here. My first seasonal cactus bloom is open and many more are cueing up. Three more varieties of humming birds sighted, orioles are in the yard chatting daily. Art set the stone on the mini patio. I will need to get a picture of that for next post. He also made a bee and bee ( solitary bee house ). There are many solitary pollinating bees that do not hive like honey bees.

While I have been getting out to ride some while social distancing, I have cut back some. All rides are short and not much more that every other day. Art did a long ride yesterday and I did not go as I did not want to risk running myself down with long rides. I am trying my best to stay healthy and I must say, when I do get out to ride, I feel great! I know many people are going through some tough times, but I feel ok being stuck here right now. Weather has been great and it is a nice place to be stuck at home.

IMG_4394.jpg

IMG_4390.jpg

IMG_4364.jpg

IMG_4361.jpg

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
Art finished enclosing the shade structure. It now has chicken wire on all sides and 1 foot underground to try and discourage gofers, javelina, deer, large birds and neighbors dogs from eating our crops. 10% shade cloth on top for now. Once the oven turns on we may need more shade on west side of structure. I have no experience growing vegetables, so this is all new in many ways. I got some herbs plants and seeds, grape tomato plants, patty pan squash plants a pepper plant and some okra seeds in pots partially submerged. Lettuce is starting in water in the windowsill. I am coordinating with a few neighbors that have some experience growing vegetables. Hopefully they will fill me in as things develop. I am excited to be trying my hand at growing vegetables.

Things are going ok here. My mom is still here and we have been able to get food and social distance. If something runs out at the store I can always try to get up early and do the 60+ shopping in the morning to try and get fresh stocked shelves. Unfortunately, 60+ hour may be more crowded out here with all the retired people, but I have gloves and have repurposed my neck gaiter into a mask. With open carry and virus masks out here it is like the wild west.

I stayed off the trails this weekend trying to give space to those that work. I hope to get on my bike tomorrow. Sorry to sound like a broken record, but weather has still been wonderful staying below 80. I know it's going to get hot soon.

IMG_4470.jpg

IMG_4456.jpg

IMG_4455.jpg

pixychick

JORBA.ORG
At this point, I am starting to hesitate to post pictures. I can only imagine how bad it must be to not have access to the woods. It is not just NJ. Trails closed in Bend as well. Trying to keep people alive, we all hope this will work and it will only be weeks or at worst months. I am feeling thankful to have some space around me now, but know that may not be much longer. Every day I try to keep positive, and appreciate what is around me.

serviceguy

At this point, I am starting to hesitate to post pictures. I can only imagine how bad it must be to not have access to the woods. It is not just NJ. Trails closed in Bend as well. Trying to keep people alive, we all hope this will work and it will only be weeks or at worst months. I am feeling thankful to have some space around me now, but know that may not be much longer. Every day I try to keep positive, and appreciate what is around me.

I love watching pictures of nature I haven't had the chance to experience in real life (hopefully only just yet), it's not teasing, it's sharing, so if you feel like it, please keep sharing! Stay safe!

Reactions: w_b
Top Bottom