Mountain Creek Summer Scramble H2H State Championship

twowheels

The course is ready to rock thanks to the hard work of Dave Van Wart, paydirt volunteers and the MCBP trail crew. A few minor changes from last year, but overall the course will retain it's fun, flow, technicality and variety.

We're having some technical difficulties with our Garmin, so here's the Strava link for the course https://www.strava.com/activities/646227785 (with a couple zig-zag errors).

The entire course is well marked as of mid-day today. Signage has also been installed to make it a little easier to get from the lift to the race course start.

The final free course preview will be on Thursday at 5:30pm, however the course is open to ride any other day or time this week.

Any further questions, please shoot me an email!
mtremain@mountaincreek.com

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I attached the .GPX file of the course if anyone want to load it onto their Garmin

Attachments

• MCBP_XC_race_course2016.gpx
    169 KB · Views: 114

twowheels

It's going to be a hot one this weekend! Like last year, we will provide a water station at the start/finish area as well as at least two 10x10 tents for some shade. John Nicholson of Team Jersey Homegrown will be on-site again for mutual support.

Save some cash by pre-registering today! We will close online registration at 9:00pm this evening.

https://www.bikereg.com/summerscramble

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any info on the course? I think I can make it but never ridden there and can't squeeze in a pre-ride. Thanks!

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any info on the course? I think I can make it but never ridden there and can't squeeze in a pre-ride. Thanks!
Dave, its pretty much either up or down...kinda reminds me of the mooch course. It has technical bits, but not too many of them are hard to clear. But overall I would say its equally as technical as mooch....which to me anyway, is like a notch below Jungle and Waywayanda. I think I mapped it at ~5.4mi on my garmin. Has some really fun downhills. Most of the climbs are switch backed pretty nicely with the exception of one double track like which is maybe a couple of min long. Good amount of sharp rocks to kill tires with.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dave, its pretty much either up or down...kinda reminds me of the mooch course. It has technical bits, but not too many of them are hard to clear. But overall I would say its equally as technical as mooch....which to me anyway, is like a notch below Jungle and Waywayanda. I think I mapped it at ~5.4mi on my garmin. Has some really fun downhills. Most of the climbs are switch backed pretty nicely with the exception of one double track like which is maybe a couple of min long. Good amount of sharp rocks to kill tires with.

Cool, thanks. As I really wanted to race Lewis and Kittatiny this season, it only makes sense to race Mooch, Jungle and Creek. :p

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'll pay someone to spray me with ice water each lap.

goodvibe

Thoughts on today's race.

I don't race often because I hate it, but I try to go to the places that I usually cannot ride. Needless to say, the course today was excellent. It was adequately technical and it was well thought out and I met some great people. Also, it seemed that the racers today were more courteous than usual and everyone who passed me and who I passed did it safely without trying to take everyone's life in their hands by trying to get around the next person. The staff was nice and the results were up incredibly fast. I would like to give kudos to the race organizers. I also appreciated the lift ticket which gave me the opportunity to try downhill biking which I have only tried once before.

I only have two concerns for next year's race.
1. I would probably have the fat bikes not start at the end of the course. I was concerned with passing the juniors, who went out one class before us.
2. I have no problem paying the extra $10 at the start for the license, even though I pre-registered, but I haven't ever had to pay that before and it would have been good to have that advertised on the bike reg site. I am lucky I had my credit card in my camelbak.

Thanks again for a great day. It was a great race and i might do this one next year again.

BTW, thanks extremedave for waiting for me as I was slow as hell going downhill!

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Much more tech than this year's jungle race, no?

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Recap: Going to try and do this on my cell phone so it might suck a bit.

I wasn't super keen on driving to Vernon so Creek wasn't on my radar. But I borked my knee before Lewis and wanted to get a little more racing in this season. The day opened up family-wise so might as well take advantage.
They recommended on the bikereg page to get there at least an hour early. Andy @goodvibe took the same advice and we found ourselves getting off the lift with an hour to spare. Andy's goal was to ride the trails up there, mine was to have ridden them! Slight difference in focus there. Anyway, off we went into the course.

Andy is stronger than me especially climbing but I can sorta keep up so no biggie. I have no idea how much warm up time I really need so I'll just tag along till we find a turn off. However I don't know my way around so about four miles in I realize I'm getting a little tired and not sure how to bail. We finally find a cut off and hit the start with a few minutes to spare. I'm nice and warmed up but a bit concerned about what's left in the tank at race pace.

We start, I'm kinda in the back but work my way up and hit the ST maybe 6th and feeling pretty good. The pre ride is now paying off, I'm taking solid lines and making up time. I get hung up behind a couple guys and by the time I get past the lead group is gone. Soon after I'm riding all alone; the lead group is (as it turns out) riding roughly the same pace as me and I've broken free of the rest of the pack.

As I start lap two I realize I'm bad tired. All that foreshadowing about the pre ride! The course is technical and fairly demanding and I'm riding stiff and sloppy. This sucks, frankly and I hate it. Same thing happened the third lap of Mooch but it didn't matter so much then as I was just a tourist in the endurance class. Anyway. The leaders of the classes that started behind us are now coming by, including Andy who catches me PUSHING up a hill. Embarrassing! I catch up to a duo who are having a private battle but pretty soon they gap me on a hill. Not happy. Adding to my problems is my cranks have worked loose so now I'm taking it easy on the bike and just trying to finish.

The middle of the course has some good downhill thankfully and I feel better. Still trying to figure out how to keep my bottles cold enough (ice has melted) so I'm fantasizing about cold, wet beverages. Gatorade, soda, beer, anything. I'm not ready to quit but I'm really beyond having fun here. The last part of the course has some tough tech and steep little climbs but at least I know it's almost over. A dude in my class comes by and I'm pissed at myself that I've got nothing for him. I push up the last obstacle, jump back on and another rider jokingly says "cmon old guy lets go!" and we sprint to the line. He won but it was fun. I ignore everything else, upend the water cooler and drain ten gallons dry (this could be an exaggeration).

Ultimately I finish 7th, which wasn't so bad. My first lap was a competitive 42-ish but the second was 48, a six minute ugly-ass drop in performance. So the moral of the story is my warm-up should probably be somewhere between 5 minutes and most of the course...

Once I was sort of rehydrated (I'm still thirsty as of right now!) and John Nicholson fixed my cranks, Andy and I rode down and got his squishy bike for a few bonus laps of free DH runs. I'd brought my armor so I got a few looks riding a 100mm XC bike in full gear. Utah gave me a classic WTF? look. I have to say body armor and a full face definitely enhance your confidence! Andy kept laughing at me. Oh, I cramped brutally in the parking lot, my leg simply locked up. Holy hell that hurt!

Every one of these cat2 races have taught me something new. I don't know what my progression will be from here but it's been fun and challenging. Racing might not be for everyone but riding around in the woods with a bunch of other lunatics has been good times so far.

PS, like @goodvibe said the USA license was never mentioned, it even said specifically on the reg page that you didn't need one to race unless you were going for the state champ. I also happened to have just enough cash in my pocket.

Last edited:

2Julianas

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just wanted to chime in that this year's course was awesome! Loved the perfect mix of tech and flow, my kind of course. Went in middle of the pack and came out same (among the Cat2 women). I really enjoyed myself out there yesterday! I didn't pre-ride so while I remembered the parts that were the same from last year, the new stuff was a surprise. The first lap I totally didn't expect the rock garden down by the lake and walked it, the second time I got half way through at least :) and I definitely appreciated the single track reroute for the old fire road climb. Still can't manage that last pop up before the finish -- something to work on for next year.

Thanks to all who made this possible!

Top Bottom