Motorcycles.... where do i start?

The answer to this used to be SV650. Maybe still is? I love mine, although it doesn't get used anywhere near as much as it should.
He's not wrong. Although a good running SV isn't that slow.

I generally suggest avoiding a full-on cruiser even though they look comfortable as the seating position puts you a little behind the controls. Honda makes a CB500 that looks really good and used entry level bikes typically can be found at solid deals as riders upgrade. A 5-10 year old bike in NJ might have less than 5,000 miles.

I'd stay away from anything older, most bikes from somewhere around 2000-ish on are fuel injected and carbs suck. Although sporty-looking the CB has a fairly upright riding position, as do a lot of the smaller 300-500cc sporty bikes. Some of these bikes also have features like ABS. A fairing isn't a bad thing to have for longer rides. The adventure bikes also have a good riding position, some fairing, and don't mind a little gravel but generally are a bit taller.

Get a Suzuki Bergman, Piaggio MP3, yamaha T max or similar "super scooter" and you'll have way more fun than trying to learn a sportbike and can still slay those curves

When I was in my early 20's I purchased my first bike, a Honda V65 Saber. No license and only rode mini bikes and bicycles prior to the purchase. The ride home from the dealership was a blast. With that said, DON'T BE LIKE ME..... There's some great advise in this thread, take is seriously.

The answer to this used to be SV650. Maybe still is? I love mine, although it doesn't get used anywhere near as much as it should.
I have a versys 650 that also falls in the same camp as the SV650. Great do everything bike, fast enough but not to the point that it's easy to get in trouble etc. The Versys is tall though, and I think that is common in this type of bike, so if your short legged might bit be the best for learning.

Also, there are bikes that sort of look like sport bikes but really aren't. My dad has a Ninja 650. Full fairings, sporty look, but the riding position is more "sport-touring" than "sport". Shares the same parallel twin 650 motor as the Versys, so not a 4 cyl. rocket. It's a nice do-it-all bike. I think I prefer it to my Versys in most conditions. It also must be tuned a bit different because it's a little faster despite having the same core motor. Probably a little tougher to ride for a beginner than a more upright bike, but it's definitely do-able.

I grew up riding Dual Sports, and even had some along side street bikes. They are terrible on the highway, but I think riding the highway is terrible anyway. On the other hand they are awesome for learning and an absolute blast on backroads. Upright position, very maneuverable and lighter than a pure streetbike.

I took a private course years ago on an old CB500; the bike was also provided for the test at the DMV.

I put off getting a bike for many years before deciding on a 2017 Ninja 650 and couldn’t have been happier or more comfortable with my 1st bike. Just enough power to keep you out of trouble. Like Pkovo mentioned, the looks of a sportbike with the ergos of a touring bike.
I have since graduated to a Triumph 765rs.

Whatever you choose, def take an msf course(s)
Then get some parking lot throttle time so you are used to the throttle response, braking and weight/feel. Then go out early weekend mornings when there is little to no traffic and get used to handling city riding. Greg Widmar’s videos (motojitsu on YT) helped me a metric shit-ton.

Good luck and always ride defensively.

I guess the courses are seasonal.... don't see anything until april
They are seasonal but I would definitely get on the schedule and do it. The RE course taught me a lot about the mental approach to riding and what you should be looking for. Basics and fundamentals that were always in the back of my mind on the street, but also paralleled a lot of the principles that are reiterated during the inital classes for people that start doing track days. This is to say it's not just some stupid course you 'have to get through' to get a motorcycle license. There is value in it for sure.

You don't need to start on a small bike, that's all bs. My first motorcycle was a naked 700cc. I've ridden dirtbikes, dual sports, naked bikes, baggers, modern cafe racers and crotch rockets. You asked about the comfort of a sport/supersport - if that's what you want to buy you''ll be fine comfort wise. If you can ride a road bike for hours at a time, you'll be fine on a crotch rocket. It's different than a bicycle, you're gripping with your knees and core. The more important thing to try to figure out is the style of bike you want. It's really not possible to know what to get until you've actually started because where you ride / who. you ride with will be a big influence on what you enjoy doing. If you get an SV650 (great starter bike) but you start riding with people who are all on crotch rockets, you're not going to enjoy it. If you've got a crotch rocket and everyone you ride with is on cruisers then the same applies. If you just want to ride around by yourself and cruise then it doesn't really matter what you pick - just ride.

If I had to do it all over again my first bike would have been a 600cc supersport. It has nothing to do with speed You can go fast/slow or ride safe/wreckless on almost anything. I say this because there will be more people riding supersports for you to ride with. I know 2 groups that still go out every weekend from central NJ to upstate NY and ride the Bear Mt / West Pt area. Man I miss those rides.

The other thing to consider is what JDog mentioned. If you have any inclination to ride dirt (so much fun) then a dual sport is where it's at. They aren't really fun on the road if you want the full motorcycle experience, but to get you to and from trail systems (if those are options around you) it's hard to beat.

Good luck!

Is there a bluebook for motorcycles? Been looking on FB for used and prices there doesn't seem to make sense to this noob

It seems there are more 600 bikes in the used market

Is there a bluebook for motorcycles? Been looking on FB for used and prices there doesn't seem to make sense to this noob

It seems there are more 600 bikes in the used market
Do you have a rough price range and style that interests you? Marketplace is weird, but I'll poke around a bit.

I wandered into Cycle Gear in Edison recently and they had a good selection of gear on hand to try out. I also have a buddy who works at Hanover Powersports. Pompton Sport Center is near you and has been there a long time but I don't know them.

I keep looking at those Royal Enfield Continental GT. Cool looking retro deal and pretty cheap.

Do you have a rough price range and style that interests you? Marketplace is weird, but I'll poke around a bit.

I wandered into Cycle Gear in Edison recently and they had a good selection of gear on hand to try out. I also have a buddy who works at Hanover Powersports. Pompton Sport Center is near you and has been there a long time but I don't know them.
Considering brand new starter bikes seem to be around 5k... I was thinking 3k makes sense for used? Been seeing good reviews on a Ninja 400 on YT

I've checked out Pompton sport on the web for bike prices but will need to stop by to check on gears. I figure gears would be the first step into committing since courses doesn't start until april.

So a 5yr old bike is only a couples of hundred less than new? How does that work? That's nuts.
Screenshot_20240208_212239_Chrome.jpg

How much of riding mtb and roadie translate into motorcycling street?
Yes? At least you won't immediately fall over when you pick your feet up the first time. Scanning the terrain, anticipating obstacles, choosing a line....all valid skills.
Do you know how to drive a stick? That would help.

There's a few offerings on Marketplace but (and I hate to do it) kinda looking like a 2nd gen SV650 is the best deal so far. In your price range, fuel injected, decent riding position, good brakes and suspension, tons of aftermarket support for parts, and fairly simple and reliable. Just a little more power than I'd prefer for a first bike.

Yes... well... drove a stick back in college but that was over 25yrs ago.
Found a decently priced 2018 CBR500R... wondering if I should take the plunge even before getting my license...

Yes... well... drove a stick back in college but that was over 25yrs ago.
Found a decently priced 2018 CBR500R... wondering if I should take the plunge even before getting my license..
It will certainly give you some motivation to get things done if you've got a shiny bike in the garage. Dunno your layout, but riding around a parking lot or such is good practice. I'm not sure if you can register and insure it without a motorcycle endorsement? Magic 8 ball says maybe.

Link to said bike?

Back
Top Bottom