Mosquitos and annoying gnats.

stoked

Third week in a row now got bit by mosquitos while riding at Ringwood. I didn’t even have a mechanical or took a long rest other than a couple of quick breaks.

Usually spray exposed skin, shoes for ticks and front of helmet for gnats but it’s been brutal past few weeks. They are biting me thru my jersey which I sprayed this week. Buzzing by my ears on climbs. Only relief is on downhills.

Gnats are back too which usually disappear by late May chilling in front of my face on climbs.

Anyone else noticed them? Any tips ? I use Ranger Ready Picaridin spray but might have to go full DEET which make me nauseous.

Best advice ride real early
Or
Get a road bike for this time of the year.

That nice dry break we had was a nice relief.
Once the wetness returns and the temps go up its game on.

Yeah. Trust me I try to go at my max speed. Averaged 6.8mph for 11 mile loop. This year seems pretty bad with mosquitos. Usually start riding around 10-11 AM but will try early and see any difference.

Gonna spray back of my Jersey before I put it on to see that helps as well since I could not get all the spots on back while wearing it.

I go full deet. The problem is that I'm usually sweating so much it wears off. Also, be super careful to not get it on your plastic gear like your helmet, it will corrode it. I had to toss a relatively new POC helmet because I sprayed with deet a few times.

I go full deet. The problem is that I'm usually sweating so much it wears off. Also, be super careful to not get it on your plastic gear like your helmet, it will corrode it. I had to toss a relatively new POC helmet because I sprayed with deet a few times.
Doesn't it make you feel great to cover your body in a product that will melt the shell of your helmet?

If you don't want to get a road bike, ride the fast places like Six Mile, Allaire, Lewis Morris, etc. Ringwood is kind of mixed speed wise depending on what parts you hit. Last thing you want is to be climbing at 3mph for minutes.

Ride with others, let them lead, don’t ride into their trailing bug cloud. This is how we used to hike the AT in bug season.

Third week in a row now got bit by mosquitos while riding at Ringwood. I didn’t even have a mechanical or took a long rest other than a couple of quick breaks.

Usually spray exposed skin, shoes for ticks and front of helmet for gnats but it’s been brutal past few weeks. They are biting me thru my jersey which I sprayed this week. Buzzing by my ears on climbs. Only relief is on downhills.

Gnats are back too which usually disappear by late May chilling in front of my face on climbs.

Anyone else noticed them? Any tips ? I use Ranger Ready Picaridin spray but might have to go full DEET which make me nauseous.
Treat your clothing with SAWYER permetherin. It lasts for like six washes if you use gentle cycle...ive pulled dead ticks off my shoes after a ride, repels mosquitos also. Youll still have to use spray (i apply b4 dressed) but youvan get away with less

The deet isn’t as bad as malaria or one of the many new flavors of Lyme, Which is a thing. I’ll take the acid wash.

Eh even in Florida malaria is extremely rare. I never bother with deet or any insect repellants - I don't stop much so mosquitos aren't a problem and the number of ticks I have found on me over the last 5 years i can count on one hand. Sunscreen always.

I go with www.insectshield.com
I like the long sleeve shirts.

Road bike. Find a cheap beater or SS. Doesn’t have to be beautiful. Great for this time of year.

I got 2 great road bikes. Been bored of riding on road and developed a bit of back pain lately and sitting static for hours makes it worse.

I can ride MTB without back pain due to upper body movement and also miss technical XC. I don’t have problems with bugs at Lewis Morris and really haven’t seen them when I do quick nature breaks etc.

I go with www.insectshield.com
I like the long sleeve shirts.

It's permethrin. There's a big-ol' thread around here about ticks/etc...bottom line is that you can go to the farm store, buy permethrin concentrate (used for 'dosing' [spraying] livestock), mix it up into a pump sprayer, and have enough to last for a couple of years. Permethrin, for anyone interested is a synthetic chrysanthemoid derived from the chemical structure of chrysanthemums.

Once it's dried on clothing, the transmissibility through skin is low(er than the threat from biting insects)...even wet, it's not considered particularly dangerous for short term exposure. Neurologic danger to humans is minimal, but it is extremely hazardous to felines; we had a cat that accidentally got a dose of canine Frontline, and $5,000 later, she survived (permanent neurologic damage). The prognosis--even with immediate treatment--is grim. Don't let cats near it.

Back
Top Bottom